7+ months.. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 32 Old 05-08-2006, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

7+ months..

Hi Guys,
I haven't taken the Hornet off the stand for over 7 months now, only thing I did was to disconnect the battery, back then.
Have some time to ride in the next weeks/months.
Anything particular I should do/look after all this time, beside a tires/brakes/chain/lights check?
Alex
1100 miles in almost three years..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 03:10 AM

I wish I had that little of Mileage on my bike

post #3 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

You mentioned that the battery was disconnected, did you place it on a battery tender? If the answer is NO then it might come back to life with a charge otherwise you are looking at buying a new one. My other concern is stale gas. Did you add Sta-Bil to full tank of gas prior to storage?

post #4 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142
You mentioned that the battery was disconnected, did you place it on a battery tender? If the answer is NO then it might come back to life with a charge otherwise you are looking at buying a new one. My other concern is stale gas. Did you add Sta-Bil to full tank of gas prior to storage?

Mike, I did not add Sta-bil prior, actually I never stored the bike, it was simply parked for that long..
Should I drain the fule tank and add fresh fuel?
TIA

post #5 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatovercrest
Mike, I did not add Sta-bil prior, actually I never stored the bike, it was simply parked for that long..
Should I drain the fule tank and add fresh fuel?
TIA
My definition of stored>>> Anytime your bike is not ridden for more than 4 weeks!

What concerns me is the quality of gasoline today along with the price. When stagnant gas breaks down it can form some nasty shiet. It's a judgment call, why take a chance? Fresh gas is a good idea.

post #6 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Milites Gregarius

Thumbs up

Quote:
My definition of stored>>> Anytime your bike is not ridden for more than 4 weeks!

What concerns me is the quality of gasoline today along with the price. When stagnant gas breaks down it can form some nasty shiet. It's a judgment call, why take a chance? Fresh gas is a good idea.
Yep... 7 months definitely qualifies as "stored". I drain that gas and probably run some injector cleaner in the first tank.

post #7 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 07:19 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I agree. Drain off the gas. Start here up and let her warm up real good then change the oil and filter. See that brakes don't seize when they are applied.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #8 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Good tip, thanks guys. Is there a specific injector cleaner I should use or any automotive type would do the job?

post #9 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatovercrest
Good tip, thanks guys. Is there a specific injector cleaner I should use or any automotive type would do the job?
seafoam is good stuff, you can get it at autozone, you won't need the whole can for your bike though, maybe 1/4... use the rest in another vehicle.

post #10 of 32 Old 05-09-2006, 11:01 AM

make sure there aren't any mice living in your airbox

post #11 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 08:49 AM
MidTN9er

My 919 has been down for about 6-7 weeks due to rear tire blow-out. Just got a new rear tire mounted up, and now I can't seem to get her started. The battery is fine, but starter just turns and turns with no fire. Any suggestions? No 7 months here, but could the gas have gone bad that quickly?

post #12 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Start with the basics: how much gas is in it? Do you receive any FI error codes?

I'd be pretty surprised if your gas went "bad" in 7 weeks.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #13 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Twisted Wrister

Kill switch? You would be suprised.

post #14 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 08:59 AM
MidTN9er

Not sure about FI codes, but the starter won't turn over if the kill switch is activated - already checked that one!

post #15 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 09:52 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Smell the gas. If it has a "varnish" stank to it, it turned.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #16 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 10:10 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTN9er
Not sure about FI codes, but the starter won't turn over if the kill switch is activated - already checked that one!
True... The starter will no function!
Lets back off for a second.
1. Did you do anything to the bike other than change the rear tire?
2. I assume the bike was running fine before the tire problem. correct?
3. Listen carefully when you turn the key ON. Do you hear the fuel pump pressurizing the FI?

post #17 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 10:29 AM
MidTN9er

Bigdaa - will check on the gas smell - I remember checking to be sure that I had enough gas in the tank, but don't remember the smell.

m51142 - The bike was running fine before the tire blow out; just had to wait until I had the $$ to purchase new shoes for the bike. My battery did die out, but I put it on a slow-style charger all day yesterday, and the bike turns over fine - just no hit. And the fuel pump pressurizes too.

I remember reading about someone else on the old moto site having this problem, but I can't remember what they did. It ended up being something really simple (as usual). I'll drain the tank this weekend and check the plugs for fire too. I've got about 7800k on the bike so a plug change might not be a bad idea anyway.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

post #18 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

I find it hard to believe it would be the gas.
Quick test, pull one of the outside plugs and see if it sparks. Do you know how to perform this test?

post #19 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 10:57 AM
MidTN9er

Pretty sure I do - pull the plug, make sure the plug wire is connected and ground the outside of the plug against something, push the starter button and look for the spark.

Any other ideas? One of the other guys at work suggested that fuel injector cleaner idea too. I might see about getting some of that stuff too. I'm not too fond of adding a lot of stuff into the tank, but other than checking for no spark, I really don't know what else to check for.

Maybe, after all the "trying" to start that I have done, my plugs are fouled. I'm wearing out a raw spot on my head from scratching it!!

post #20 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Correct on the plug test.
I would stay away from the FI cleaner also. All 4 injectors would have to be clogged, highly unlikely.

post #21 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 11:45 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

...just a thought.
Due to tire having a blow-out, would it be possible that part of tire may have hit wiring up under tail? I assume the igntion box & such is up there & wondering if a wire may have gotten hit, grounded out, causing no spark???

post #22 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder
...just a thought.
Due to tire having a blow-out, would it be possible that part of tire may have hit wiring up under tail? I assume the igntion box & such is up there & wondering if a wire may have gotten hit, grounded out, causing no spark???
Good idea however the 919 has a good size rear hugger for protection. Any other thoughts?

post #23 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 12:05 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Good idea however the 919 has a good size rear hugger for protection. Any other thoughts?
AHHHH... I having an RC, have no hugger.
Spark, fuel & timing is what is needed. With the assumption timing is not out of whack, & the fuel pump can be heard pressurizing, then right... check for spark. I'd also take a good look around rear & make sure tire didn't hit anything, and wiring harness connections are good.
Also, do the 919's have a crash/shut-off relay??? That if the tire "smacked" tail hard enough would kick relay?

post #24 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

The 919 has a fuel cut relay and a bank angle sensor, both are tucked away under the seat. I wonder if the fuel cut relay is the problem? Hmmm...

post #25 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM
MidTN9er

Quote:
The 919 has a fuel cut relay and a bank angle sensor, both are tucked away under the seat. I wonder if the fuel cut relay is the problem? Hmmm...
Interesting comments, thanks for tossing this around. When the rear tire blew out, I didn't lay her down, and fortunately the rear tire never came off the rim. Only lost some "chunks" from it all around the contact area. I don't recall hearing or feeling anything that might have hit underneath.

Where can I find this 'fuel cut relay' and 'bank angle sensor'? I don't have a service manual for my bike - sounds like I need to get one!

post #26 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTN9er
Interesting comments, thanks for tossing this around. When the rear tire blew out, I didn't lay her down, and fortunately the rear tire never came off the rim. Only lost some "chunks" from it all around the contact area. I don't recall hearing or feeling anything that might have hit underneath.

Where can I find this 'fuel cut relay' and 'bank angle sensor'? I don't have a service manual for my bike - sounds like I need to get one!
The fuel cut relay is the 3rd. relay in from the right. The bank angle sensor is a square looking assembly also under the seat but on the left side looking from the rear. You really need to get a service manual. PM razorbike, he might be able to send you the manual on CD.

post #27 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Tried the choke?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #28 of 32 Old 05-12-2006, 01:01 PM
MidTN9er

Mine is an '02, so I am guessing that the under-seat locations are the same as the one you have pictured and described.

post #29 of 32 Old 05-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Immune

Are the spark plugs wet with fuel? If not and you have spark my guess you are in the right direction finding the problem with the fuel if they are dry.

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #30 of 32 Old 05-13-2006, 08:53 PM
MidTN9er

Didn't have time to work on her today due to other issues. Going to try to get some time set aside tomorrow after lunch to dig in a little deeper. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

post #31 of 32 Old 05-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

You ever get this thing running?

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #32 of 32 Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 PM
MidTN9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim
You ever get this thing running?
I worked on it some last Sunday afternoon. Checked all the relays, and fuses on the bank angle sensor, and everything worked fine. Gas didn't smell bad either, and had plenty in the tank. So decided to dig a little deeper and get into the spark plugs - what a chore!!

Pulled the #1 and #4 plug (easiest to get to first) and both looked like they might be fouled. I did a simple spark test and off and on got a spark, but sometimes didn't. Since I'm right at 8k on the mileage, and the owner's manual called for plug change, I have removed the tank, and will put in some new plugs next week. In addition, my battery is on the fritz (slow charged, but doesn't seem to hold a charge) so I'll end up replacing that too.

Too much family stuff going on now, so the bike has to wait until I get some more free time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode