5700 miles, smoking - 15 - 2 cylders fouling (inside 2) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 11-30-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

5700 miles, smoking - 15 - 2 cylders fouling (inside 2)

Just bought the bike, for 2500 bucks, guy said it may need a tune up, it smokes when you hit the throttle pretty damn good, i changed pluggs thinking they were fouled ( bike had been sittin) the inside two were wet with either oil or carboned up gas so put new plugs in all four, went for about a 5-10 min ride, still smoke, throttles still choppy especialy off idle, thing was idling at like 500rpm till i changed the throttle stop and after the short ride the two inside headers were cool enough to touch

i noticed under my tank when i was changin plugs that there was a ground wire attached to the frame that was broke between the bolt and where ever it goes too. i assume the fuel pump. and ya 15 mph about (50 miles with 3.3 gal) also i ran FI cleaner through it since it was sittin before

so my question is, is the fuel pump messed up because of that wire? could that be causing all this trouble, or does it sound more like im leaking oil into the 2 cylanders?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Very common thing. Try here first or Do a search on FPR. https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/fou...sted-8209.html

Spoiler:

post #3 of 25 Old 11-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Le So Cal Troll

i take it that its a 919... if your inner two are being fouled, its 100% sure a fuel pressure regulator... a 40-60 dollar part that takes about 20 min to swap out... and while ur under there fix that gnd wire n u will be good.

And ur fuel pump is most likely fine.

post #4 of 25 Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

40-60 at a dealer? is there a better place to get it than a local shop, thanks alot guys.

post #5 of 25 Old 11-30-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

o ya smoke is white not black, i know alot of people said black smoke, dont know if that changes anything. i will be going to get a regulator tomarrow.

post #6 of 25 Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Pilus Posterior

White smoke. Hmmmm usually oil burning. Pull the air filter out and see what the air box is like inside - clean and basically dry or full of thick gooey stuff?

And there is no way you should be able to touch the headers after running the engine for more than about 30 seconds!

post #7 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

ya there apeared to be oil in the airbox as well

post #8 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 AM
Gets censored

Well that aint good...

post #9 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Discen

Check the oil - it might be over the max indicator, forcing oil from the engine into the airbox etc...

post #10 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Seņor Calamares

Has it ever been down/crashed?

post #11 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

no never downed maybe dropped but not bad, a few little scrapes on the right side. oil level looked to be in the right area, coolant was low though, im wondering if maybe i have a bad head gasket, but with the gas mileage the way it is i think i also have a bad FPR, the local shop wants 80 bucks for one so im wondering if there is any alternative fix? i have heard of people patching diaphrams before. or if there is a website that sells em cheaper. ill keep browsing thanks guys

ill fill the coolant and check to see if it drops again, if it does then i think i have a bad gasket.

post #12 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Discen

The white smoke - is it steamy like what you see from a car on a cold morning, or is it bad smelling burnt oil like ?
If steam it may well be a gasket issue - if oil it may be anything from gasket, to valves etc..

post #13 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake358853 View Post
im wondering if maybe i have a bad head gasket, but with the gas mileage the way it is i think i also have a bad FPR, the local shop wants 80 bucks for one so im wondering if there is any alternative fix? i have heard of people patching diaphrams before.

ill fill the coolant and check to see if it drops again, if it does then i think i have a bad gasket.
Personally I wouldnt waste my time trying to "fix" a diaphram. It seems it would be to much hassle, and no guarantee on if it would work or last. If you refill the coolant and the level drops again, yes you are burning it. As long as there are no external leaks, the only way for coolant to disappear is internally in the motor.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #14 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
Personally I wouldn't waste my time trying to "fix" a diaphragm. It seems it would be to much hassle, and no guarantee on if it would work or last. If you refill the coolant and the level drops again, yes you are burning it. As long as there are no external leaks, the only way for coolant to disappear is internally in the motor.
FPR is just 80 bucks which sucks for such a small part but alright, its definitely part of the problem, i pulled the hose off right where it splits and goes to the 2 cylinders and it was wet so i turned the key on there there came the gas dumping out.

oy05 the smoke is alot more like oil and its puffy white smoke not steam. it always smokes a bunch when i go from idle to opening quickly if that helps, doesn't smoke much when your smooth on the throttle though. don't know if this makes a difference but that's what ive noticed so far.

post #15 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 03:53 PM
The Cripple

snake, your cyls have a bunch of gas being dumped through them. that in turn thins out and breaks down your oil which in turn lets it seep through the piston rings and burn off.

K.I.S.S!!!!! keep it short and simple! in other words, RELAX. deal with ONE problem at a time. we all know its the FPR, REPLACE it ASAP. stop riding/running the engine and replace it.

after you replace it, change the oil and ride it a bit. THEN worry about smoke if there is any.

post #16 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

MSRP for the FPR (part # 16740 MCZ 013) is $78.55.

I see it (Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Honda 2007 CB900F THROTTLE BODY (ASSY.)) at Ron Ayers for $59.62 plus shipping. There may be less expensive online sources.

Even full price for a FPR is a steal if it can get a bike drowning in fuel get up and get its proper personality back.

post #17 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

alright thanks alot pvster i had no idea that having the FPR go out could cause these other problems as well, its good to hear.

thanks tom for the link

post #18 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
snake, your cyls have a bunch of gas being dumped through them. that in turn thins out and breaks down your oil which in turn lets it seep through the piston rings and burn off.

K.I.S.S!!!!! keep it short and simple! in other words, RELAX. deal with ONE problem at a time. we all know its the FPR, REPLACE it ASAP. stop riding/running the engine and replace it.

after you replace it, change the oil and ride it a bit. THEN worry about smoke if there is any.
+1000. This is excellent advice.

Good luck, 919's are great bikes...id be amazed to hear that its actually a bad head gasket. Plus, there would be oil in your coolant or vice-versa. Don't go blowing everything out of proportion!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #19 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

9ers so smoke quiet a bit when you are on the throttle. White is alright, black or blue is bad. Like it was said, get the FPR fixed and go from there.

Spoiler:

post #20 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
9ers so smoke quiet a bit when you are on the throttle. White is alright, black or blue is bad. Like it was said, get the FPR fixed and go from there.
I disagree sir.

Black is a over rich fuel - not a big issue.

White with a blue tinge is oil (like a 2 strokes smoke) - bad as a rule.

Don't confuse white/blue exhaust emissions with a cold start vapor which is just like the 'smoke' you breathe out on a cold day. Totally normal.

As above fix the fueling issue on the 2 cylinders first and get them running. 2.
Then I'd strongly advise a oil and filter change as excess fuel will have gotten past the rings into the existing oil and made a chemical mess that will not do your engine any good.
If all is fine now organize yourself a coolant change (a easy job) so you know that is clean and fresh.
Ride

post #21 of 25 Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hey Mods, why no "first unread"?

post #22 of 25 Old 12-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Speed is life ...

Forgive my ignorance . Why wouldn't ALL the plugs foul if the fuel pressure regulator was bad ?

'02 919
Moriwaki's
PCIII
Corbin
post #23 of 25 Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911/919 View Post
Forgive my ignorance . Why wouldn't ALL the plugs foul if the fuel pressure regulator was bad ?
The FPR uses vacuum from Cyls 2 & 3.

If (when?) the FPR goes, the diaphragm in the FPR no longer seals and allows gasoline into those two cylinders.

Cylinders 1 & 4 are not connected to the FPR and are not affected.

post #24 of 25 Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 AM
Speed is life ...

Ah , so it's the leaking fuel , not incorrect fuel pressure ?

'02 919
Moriwaki's
PCIII
Corbin
post #25 of 25 Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911/919 View Post
Ah , so it's the leaking fuel , not incorrect fuel pressure ?
correct

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode