40+ mph bike shudder - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

40+ mph bike shudder

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Just bought a 2005 919 with 11k miles on it. Brought it to the dealer to have the fork seals done, brake pads replaced and a new front wheel put on. I had only done a low speed test drive prior to buying the bike (mistake I know) and am now noticing that once the bike gets above 40 mph it shudders every few seconds. It does this whether I am accelerating or have the clutch all of the way in and it does not go away if I try to shift out of it. It feels like going over small road imperfections every few seconds but I know that isn't it because I have tried it on various qualities of pavement. My initial thought is that it might be a tire balance issue. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-01-2016, 06:11 AM
Left of Centre

Could be a tight spot on the chain too, binding and giving an intermittent vibration; could be the chain is too tight overall.

Easy enough to check these things - get the back wheel off the ground and spin it by hand to see how smoothly everything rotates; sit on the bike with all your gear on and get someone to check the chain tension for freeplay - the toe of a boot should be able to flip the chain up a bit.

post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2016, 06:15 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Might be tire balance, but I think it's most likely your chain. Either worn, along with the sprockets, or has some tight links.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I think the first question is why it needed a new front wheel? Assuming that that was damaged, something else could have been damaged too

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #5 of 9 Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
I think the first question is why it needed a new front wheel? Assuming that that was damaged, something else could have been damaged too
Spot on call out !

post #6 of 9 Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks everyone. I'll check the chain out. Front tire needed to be replaced due to dry rot so luckily nothing more sinister than that!

post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2016, 05:52 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleniner View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll check the chain out. Front tire needed to be replaced due to dry rot so luckily nothing more sinister than that!
Ok you said front wheel, not front tire. Do you mean the wheel itself is fine and you only replaced the tire?

Try resettling your forks with the axle/rim. They may have reassembled in a hurry and not properly settle the front end before torquing the pinch bolts.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-02-2016, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

That is what I had meant (tire and not wheel), sorry for the confusion!

post #9 of 9 Old 09-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleniner View Post
Let us know what you find with the chain inspection per recommendations above. If you don't discover the problem with the chain look at the rear tire and inspect for balance and check the tire for age cracks and look at the build date on the side of the tire. We see the front is new - the rear may have issues that are not so obvious. Make sure the tire pressures are proper and check that the wheels are aligned.
Also look at the brakes and check for wear and pad dragging. Look at the brake fluid and make sure it's clear. If you don't know the service history then change the brake fluid and properly bleed the system. (It's real simple on the 919.) Old brake fluid will have absorbed water and that can cause problems when the brakes heat up.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode