3-Brothers exhaust/brake line contact! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

3-Brothers exhaust/brake line contact!

I just noticed this on my rear brake line. I bought the single-side 3-brothers exhaust (I know, i know......why?). Well because I wanted something temporary until I could afford a Sato set-up, and I got this off another member for cheap. But anyway, upon inspection this is what I found. so for any of you guys with the same set-up, check your rear brake line.
Apparantly, the pipe gets too close to the brake line, and upon compression, it makes contact with the line. I haven't noticed this before, but this last week, I've ridden with a passenger on the back seat, and maybe the extra weight compressed the bike enough to make contact.

Scary, but at least it's the rear brake and not the front!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1317069602_ORIG.jpg (70.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 1317076990_ORIG.jpg (81.3 KB, 95 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 PM
919 City Pilot

?

Three bro's?

Manny moe and jack?

Just kidding that sucks!

post #3 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Ouch! I smell a lawsuit. That is some seriously scary stuff, man. I assume you haven't done any kind of aftermarket work on your brakes that would cause the brake line to be out of the stock position, correct? If so, I'd complain to 2 Mothers. Who cares if you didn't buy it new, that kind of crap shouldn't happen.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #4 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Sue Honda...

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

the used to sell a stainless steel rear brakeline w/ the setup...and i'm guessin they still do

but since u didn't buy from two bros or a dealer (and i'm guessin didn't get the SS lines)....you'll have to play the cards you're dealt; having purchased a used system of questionable quality and design

best of luck...get some SS lines or go w/ Plan S. S=SATO !!!

post #6 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

btw, don't feel bad...that's how it goes sometimes

i purchased a set of sato rearsets used and had to replace a few bits to get them in shape...

post #7 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegjumpflyer View Post
Three bro's?

Manny moe and jack?

Just kidding that sucks!
Oops. Yeah I meant 2, of course. There's a popular Apartment Moving company, here in Houston, called 3 Brothers. I always mix it up. It's like when you call a guy you don't like by the wrong name, and even though he keeps reminding you of his correct name, you still call him by the wrong name without thinking.

post #8 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

As far as I know, it's the stock setup. I got the bike used, too, so I really don't know. Can you take a look at yours, and confirm?

BTW, if the title can be corrected, please do.

post #9 of 30 Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Hola Como Estas?

I also have a the same exhaust setup and just checked it and saw no damage to the break line. I haven't done any two up riding yet but when I sit in the saddle there is still more than enough clearence between the two. Sorry if this wasn't helpfull. Look on the bright side, you have an excuse to buy SS lines =)

post #10 of 30 Old 10-03-2006, 05:45 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post
the used to sell a stainless steel rear brakeline w/ the setup...and i'm guessin they still do

but since u didn't buy from two bros or a dealer (and i'm guessin didn't get the SS lines)....you'll have to play the cards you're dealt; having purchased a used system of questionable quality and design

Bingo!

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

Let me see if I can translate what ratdog said. I'll use capitalization, punctuation, etc. A new Two Brothers "Full System" included something to prevent that. It was either a steel braided brake line or a bracket to reorient the existing brake line, I don't remember which. It came with the system and part of the instructions directed you to use it -- it must have been necessary! Since you bought your system used, the person you bought it from either didn't use the brake line fix, or did and left it on his bike. Call him and ask him if he has the part. If not, call Two Brothers and ask them if they still have one in bench stock. They have been helpful in supplying a muffler bracket I needed. If all this fails, buy a stainless steel brake line since you need a new one anyway.

post #12 of 30 Old 10-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Regardless of whether you get steel braided lines or not, I would find a way to move the line so it isn't so close to the exhaust (or buy a good exhaust instead). To be honest, I'm not sure what effects it might have, but I'm sure that constantly heating your brake fluid can't be a good thing.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #13 of 30 Old 10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Unbannable

http://www.targa-acc.com/cgi-bin/pro...500SL&format=3

If not get one of these.

Even a steel line has some kind of polymer on it that will melt.

post #14 of 30 Old 10-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by support_six View Post
Let me see if I can translate what ratdog said. I'll use capitalization, punctuation, etc.
thx six...

i'll punctuate when i'm damn good and ready for quick stuff i prefer stream of consciousness typin

post #15 of 30 Old 10-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Hornet Grandpa!

Not a poke at you, ratdog. I did the first draft of my Master's Thesis "stream of consciousness" and went back later for caps and punctuation.

I noticed on Two Brothers web site that they don't sell the "complete system" for the 919 anymore. They would probably like to get rid of some of the leftover parts though. I didn't buy one myself, but did buy a muffler clamp from them for the Wileyco carbon fiber can I bought. It fit perfectly.

post #16 of 30 Old 10-04-2006, 06:58 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdog View Post

or get both...

I would at least get the SS brake lines, then you can at least turn them a bit in another direction.

post #17 of 30 Old 10-04-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Yeah, I'm gonna have to get the SS lines first, since it's already damaged. Although I really only need to replace the rear, it wouldn't be right to get that without the front lines as well.
Another thing I do recognize, is that my plan to go with a temp exhaust has caused a further delay in my goal to purchase some Satos! But to be honest, the 2Bro exhaust does look sweet, and does have a very nice sound to it. I just don't expect it to hold up too well, based on what I have read here.

post #18 of 30 Old 10-05-2006, 02:15 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Nothin wrong with burning rubber as long as the right rubber gets burnt.

Other than the brake line issue, how do you like your 2 Bro exhaust?

post #19 of 30 Old 10-05-2006, 10:28 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna have to get the SS lines first, since it's already damaged. Although I really only need to replace the rear, it wouldn't be right to get that without the front lines as well.
Yes it will look balanced with matching SS lines up front too, but you'll notice more than just the looks when you go for a ride after you swap out the fronts - more so than the rears.

post #20 of 30 Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Nothin wrong with burning rubber as long as the right rubber gets burnt.

Other than the brake line issue, how do you like your 2 Bro exhaust?
I like the 2 Bro exhaust. It has a deep aggressive sound to it, and when I go WOT, it's awesome and really breaths.

I equate the 2 Brothers exhaust to Flowmasters, and the Satos to Magnaflows for cars/trucks. Whereby, the Flowmaster is a cheap muffler, but you gotta love the sound! My Flows didn't last more than a year, though, on my Tacoma. I now have Magnaflows, which are alot more expensive, but well built stainless steel, last alot longer than a year, and is designed to really flow the exhaust straight through. Not as loud as Flows, but a nice deep aggressive rumble nontheless.

post #21 of 30 Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Quote:
I like the 2 Bro exhaust. It has a deep aggressive sound to it, and when I go WOT, it's awesome and really breaths.
Yea that is all great until you realize there is more to an exhaust purchase than noise. Add in the ideals of performance, build quality & customer service & you will soon realize why the Sato's are considered one of the absolute top brands by so many.

post #22 of 30 Old 10-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Whereby, the Flowmaster is a cheap muffler, but you gotta love the sound! My Flows didn't last more than a year, though, on my Tacoma. I now have Magnaflows, which are alot more expensive, but well built stainless steel, last alot longer than a year, and is designed to really flow the exhaust straight through. Not as loud as Flows, but a nice deep aggressive rumble nontheless.

You should have bought the Stainless Flowmasters then!! They last just as long!! DUH!!

post #23 of 30 Old 10-06-2006, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Yea that is all great until you realize there is more to an exhaust purchase than noise. Add in the ideals of performance, build quality & customer service & you will soon realize why the Sato's are considered one of the absolute top brands by so many.
I agree. But like I said, all I could afford at the time are these used 2 Bros. Also, I don't think 2 Bros are designed solely for noise. They may not be as well built as Satos, from what I've read, but they are designed for better airflow than stock. You get what you pay for. I realize that, but being recently divorced, with a high Child Support payment each month, this is all I can get for now.

post #24 of 30 Old 10-06-2006, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
You should have bought the Stainless Flowmasters then!! They last just as long!! DUH!!
Even so, the Flowmaster design incorporates the use of baffles that help create that "Flowmaster sound". The baffles obstruct the air flow. You can see straight through a Magnaflow muffler.

post #25 of 30 Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

I found that the bolt securing the can's bracket had vibrated loose. It appears apparant that this caused the pipe to drop just enough to touch the brake line. In fact, even one of the undertail bolts was a little loose too. So I just dabbed some blue threadlock on the bolts, and I think this should solve the problem.

post #26 of 30 Old 10-13-2006, 03:10 PM
wbh

me too!

i saw your post, went out and checked, and i have the same problem! i bought my 2002 919 a few months ago.

i love the look of the carbon fiber two bros exhaust, but will buy stainless steel brake lines now.

post #27 of 30 Old 10-13-2006, 03:20 PM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Clean looking bike! - I like how the pipe goes all the way into where the Y pipe should be. What does it connect to coming off the header? Speaking of the header - that one has seen better days!

post #28 of 30 Old 10-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbh View Post
i saw your post, went out and checked, and i have the same problem! i bought my 2002 919 a few months ago.

i love the look of the carbon fiber two bros exhaust, but will buy stainless steel brake lines now.
Now just take off the stickers on the swing arm. It will clean it up a lot. If you are careful and use a blow dryer or something you can peel them off nice and relocate them to the frame under the seat.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #29 of 30 Old 10-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Still cracks me up this thread is called 3 brothers.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #30 of 30 Old 10-16-2006, 10:27 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Rob, I like what yu did with the tail of your 919 on the other thread you started. Nice pic of the 2 Bros exhaust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode