29 Minutes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

29 Minutes

Twenty Nine minutes is what it took for me to change the rear tire on the 919 this morning. I did it myself. It's #6 for the back of of old Silver, so I know what I'm doing...

For those of you that are apprehensive about changing your own tires, I strongly suggest you give it a try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

It'd be 29 minutes of straight swearing at my wheels before I took my scraped piles of wheel to someone to do it for me. I tried it twice. I don't know how you could get your bike up, wheel off, tire off, tire on, wheel on bike, alignment done, bike down in 29 minutes... call me crazy.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Don't motorcycle tires have to be balanced just like car tires?

post #4 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 5

20 mintues flat for front and rear swap from slicks to rains including re-safety wiring!

Of course this is without actually swapping new tires onto the rims.

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #5 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Twenty Nine minutes is what it took for me to change the rear tire on the 919 this morning. I did it myself. It's #6 for the back of of old Silver, so I know what I'm doing...

For those of you that are apprehensive about changing your own tires, I strongly suggest you give it a try.
I'm all about changing my own tires. I haven't set up an easy way to break the tire bead so I usually cut the tire with a razor then snip the steel cord inside the bead with dikes. It's a pain but it works. Getting the new tire on is pretty easy with some soapy water and a few pry bars with some rags for padding. I sure would rather have better stuff to do it. Please post pics and details about what to get or build and where.

Regarding balancing. I have two rear wheels. I have one I use for drag racing and it gets the old tires I am gonna burnout on anyway.. no balance. I take my other and front wheel to a shop for the balancing. Sure wish I could do that myself too.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Tirone Shoelaces

Here's a link to a motorcycle tire changing DIY.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html

Pretty interesting and helpful if you want to change your own, including balancing.

post #7 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 PM

I'd probably do it if I had a machine, but as it stands I just take the wheels off the bike and bring them to the local shop - $10/wheel.

It's like an oil change for the cage - I could do it myself, but I can pay a tiny bit of cash and have someone else do it for me

post #8 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
I'm all about changing my own tires. I haven't set up an easy way to break the tire bead so I usually cut the tire with a razor then snip the steel cord inside the bead with dikes. It's a pain but it works. Getting the new tire on is pretty easy with some soapy water and a few pry bars with some rags for padding. I sure would rather have better stuff to do it. Please post pics and details about what to get or build and where.

Regarding balancing. I have two rear wheels. I have one I use for drag racing and it gets the old tires I am gonna burnout on anyway.. no balance. I take my other and front wheel to a shop for the balancing. Sure wish I could do that myself too.
I made a bead breaker in about 10 minutes. See link for detailed schematics.

http://home.triad.rr.com/thesmithsws...%20breaker.JPG

I use the bike's axles to balance the wheels on stands made out of 2x4's and copier bearings.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohn505 View Post
I'd probably do it if I had a machine, but as it stands I just take the wheels off the bike and bring them to the local shop - $10/wheel.

It's like an oil change for the cage - I could do it myself, but I can pay a tiny bit of cash and have someone else do it for me
+1 and you don't have to worry about throwing it away they do it for you!! Big plus here while they are doing the work you get to sit on some really cool rides and BS about bikes and stuff... 20 bucks or cuss fuss sweat beat and still have to get it balanced right cause that rolling the wheel to see where it stops ha... and it takes 20 min. to take the wheels off and on so your saying 4.5 to take of the tire and remount.... Oh i get it your doing the BS thing here instead of the shop.... Thats fun too!!! JK Hats off to you dude I don't have the tools and don't want them, don't have the space for more, just don't tell the misses i said that

post #10 of 20 Old 09-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I use the bike's axles to balance the wheels on stands made out of 2x4's and copier bearings.
That's cool, just need the bubble balancer like this and I might change my story, I can intergrate this tool into my work bench not extra space needed....

post #11 of 20 Old 09-29-2006, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Removing and replacing the wheel is more work than Taking the old tire off and putting the new ine back on.

I do the razor knife thing also. Meaning I split the tire in 2 before I ever take the wheel off. This saves you from having to remove and replace the valve core. Once the beads are broken loose, with a little tire slime, you can pull the 2 halves right off with no tools.

I confess that I no longet check the balance of the back. (I wonder if your dealer does either) The reason I don't, is because the several I did check were right on the money. I guess with modern manufacturing, the tire companies get their stuff correct. I still check most of my fronts. No balancing problems.

So what are you guys paying for Power Pilots (out the door) bought and mounted at the dealers?

post #12 of 20 Old 09-29-2006, 05:50 AM

To paraphrase William Schwenk Gilbert, "I'd rather spend the afternoon in a Turkish bath with my mother than change a motorcycle tire."

Clinton (B7)

(balding big-bellied baby-boomer back on bike)

post #13 of 20 Old 09-29-2006, 05:55 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

On my dirtbike, front tire in ten minutes...rear in 15.

On my 9er...well I have a friend that does it for me. lol.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Milites Gregarius

I read somewhere about a guy that balanced the wheels only once a year. The tires where close enough they didn't throw the balance off.

post #15 of 20 Old 10-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Tirone Shoelaces

If I could get a tire changed for $10, I would. I've found that the dealers around here won't mount tires if you don't buy them there. A recent example on a Pilot Power - the dealer wanted $60 more for the tire than the internet price with shipping. On top of that they wanted $45 to mount and balance if the tire was off the bike. $20 more if the wheel was on the bike.

I did find that the shop that I've done a lot of business with would mount an internet tire for $25 cash. More reasonable but still a bit pricey.

After this experience, I learned to do the change myself. The first change is the toughest. After ytou get the process down, its pretty easy.

For a couple tire changes, you can easily break even on a two or three of tire irons, some wheel weights and a home-made jig.

post #16 of 20 Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Those blueprints are just awesome. Such detail. Such clarity. Spot on directions for use too.

post #17 of 20 Old 10-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangsfs View Post
Those blueprints are just awesome. Such detail. Such clarity. Spot on directions for use too.
It's a talent I was born with.

post #18 of 20 Old 10-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 
Total Awards: 2

post #19 of 20 Old 10-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Unbannable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg

I can mount my tire with no hands!

post #20 of 20 Old 10-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvetree View Post

I actually like that one. Probably less chance of bending the wheel if you lay a 2x4 on the bead of the tire and drive up on that.

I can make another drawing of that device if needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode