2009 650 Comparison - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

2009 650 Comparison

I have seen that both Kawasaki and Suzuki are releasing new "naked" bikes with 650cc engines.

The Kawasaki ER-6n http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...specifications

The Suzuki Gladius http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...s/Default.aspx

So my questions are, has anyone had experience with either bike or can anyone share some additional info on either bike? How do they stack up next to the SV650? And what are opinions about both?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Interesting that everyone else is doing a naked bike, but honda comes out with an oversized scooter.

post #3 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i just wish someone would make a naked without cutting the nuts off of the motor first...

post #4 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i just wish someone would make a naked without cutting the nuts off of the motor first...
No castration with this beauty.

or this one!

post #5 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

yeah... those are made by the italians... and honda kaw and suz all neuter the puppies before they us play with them.... i want my 30 horsepower back...

post #6 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Sike

Even better, IMO, buy a literbike and put the LSL superbike bar kit on it. I did, and I have never ridden a bike that is as much fun to ride, and I've ridden the bulk of the newer bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sato4.jpg (48.2 KB, 49 views)

post #7 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Discen

i am with barton... give me 30 hp back... but i don' really want to spin it to 14 or 16k to get it. or give me 80+ torque

i don't know how i am going to do it, but the guzzi griso has my eye, gorgeous.

but the 9r gets me that ticket also quickly.

post #8 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU919 View Post
I have seen that both Kawasaki and Suzuki are releasing new "naked" bikes with 650cc engines.

The Kawasaki ER-6n http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/det...specifications

The Suzuki Gladius http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...s/Default.aspx

So my questions are, has anyone had experience with either bike or can anyone share some additional info on either bike? How do they stack up next to the SV650? And what are opinions about both?
Funny thing is that I read the later post, and responded to that and I'm now reading your post, the original. I have ridden the Kawi several times and I really like the bike, light and agile. But, the finish isn't so pretty. I have ridden several SV650's, and they are great bikes. Stock versus stock, I think the SV handles better, feels a little lighter, and is a little faster than the Kawi. I'm guessing noboby has any experience with the Gladius so far..... So, between the Kawi and the SV, I would (in your shoes) pick the one you like the looks of best, given nobody keeps a bike stock and they probably get even closer when modified.

Good luck, Steve

post #9 of 21 Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Funny thing is that I read the later post, and responded to that and I'm now reading your post, the original. I have ridden the Kawi several times and I really like the bike, light and agile. But, the finish isn't so pretty. I have ridden several SV650's, and they are great bikes. Stock versus stock, I think the SV handles better, feels a little lighter, and is a little faster than the Kawi. I'm guessing noboby has any experience with the Gladius so far..... So, between the Kawi and the SV, I would (in your shoes) pick the one you like the looks of best, given nobody keeps a bike stock and they probably get even closer when modified.

Good luck, Steve
sorry i jacked your thread .... i have ridden the sv650 before i felt it was anemic, i have not rode the other 2.. i am a motorcycle salesman (for honda no less ) and if we get one on trade i'll thrash...... i mean test ride it and let you know.... side note wasnt gladius the name one russel crowe in that movie.. you know the one

post #10 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

Did Kaw release any info on Z1000 I did not see any 2009 modles I believe there scraping the big naked.

post #11 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 05:38 AM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riquefied919 View Post
Did Kaw release any info on Z1000 I did not see any 2009 modles I believe there scraping the big naked.

Correct! No Z1000 for 09'. You can find some great deals on 08's however... might have something to do with the color choice. (Cream w/ Tangerine Accents)

Lex Talionis
post #12 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 06:31 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Kawai also brought out a new concours, sweeta$$ bike, although twice the price of the 9er

post #13 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Mr. Mike has it right ! Get a Tuono - it will change your life ! :, but Im biased -
Ive had alot of bikesover the years, but, nothing wrks as well as the Tuono. It stops,turns and goes just perfectly . Plus, you get a bit of Italian flare and soul without having to worry about delicate parts or severe maintence issues -

Sorry for the hyjack - back to the opinions -

Ive ridden both the EX650 and the SV and I liked the Sv alot better - it makes more torque where the EX has to be reved to get the power out of it - If yo ulike 4 cyclinders, this wont be too big of and issue, but, ifyouve been riding twins for a while, the Sv is the better choice -

post #14 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Unbannable

I've heard the Gladius makes less power than the SV. It seems retarded that Suzuki would make another bike so much like the SV.

post #15 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I've heard the Gladius makes less power than the SV. It seems retarded that Suzuki would make another bike so much like the SV.
Its aimed more for new riders , power upgrades will becoming via Suzuki as the model rolls on -

post #16 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 AM
rider

Gladius shares same powerpant as the sv650. My opinion is Suzuki is going after the Ducati Monster 690 crowd. (i am a salesman at a honda/suzuki/triumph dealer) and yes the street triple is a hoot to ride.

barton664 are you at the honda shop off griffin? i used to live in bonaventure before moving to ga.

post #17 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 09:38 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10hornet View Post
Gladius shares same powerpant as the sv650. My opinion is Suzuki is going after the Ducati Monster 690 crowd. (i am a salesman at a honda/suzuki/triumph dealer) and yes the street triple is a hoot to ride.

barton664 are you at the honda shop off griffin? i used to live in bonaventure before moving to ga.
thats the one.. honda only..

i could never go back north.. i hate cold weather

post #18 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Me personally, my first bike back in April 08 was a 2005 sv650, great to learn how to ride on, because i am very sure that i would have killed myself on my niner. and i cant even begin to imagine going back to it, so i'm sure that the gladius is just a starter bike more aimed at *no offence* Females. My wife refuses to learn, she wouldnt try to ride my sv 650 because she thought it was to fast. and this is coming from a woman that used to ride dirtbikes and four wheelers everywhere. but back to the point i wouldnt go with either of those. But i do want a tourono BAD!!! so if you ever see anyone that wants to trade i am down cousin.

post #19 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Sike

Before any of you dive off into the deep end of the Italian's (Aprilia), you should spend a bit of time doing research. The Tuono might be one of Aprilia most reliable bikes (which puts it dramatically below the least reliable bike the Japanese have ever made, whatever that might be). Then, getting parts is like some silly joke being played on the owners. If you need three parts to make the repair, two are available and the other has an "unknown" date of availability. Last, very few shops actually care about Aprilia's, usually only having them as an "extra." However, if you live near AF1 in Texas, they have an AMAZINGLY good reputation.

The Brutale, IMO is a much better looking bike, as much or more fun to ride, and way more reliable from what I have seen.

Good Luck....

post #20 of 21 Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

post #21 of 21 Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

There seems to be a battle raging for the title of ugliest front end.

I'm not a big Buell fan, but at least they look good. That is except for that hideous 1125 thing.

Don't know which is uglier, the bike or the name Gladius. Makes you wonder what were the names they turned down.

The Kawie is uglier than home made poop, but it's supposed to be a very good bike.

the Tuono is a very good looking bike in spite of it's entry into the uglu front end contest. However the KTM 990 SD is much torquier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode