Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

2007 Tuono stall during emegency breaking

2K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Todd F. Smith 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon All,

Just finished fixing few issues with my 2007 Tuono. (ECU updated and Re-mapped to map 2 w/ O2 Delete, Rplaced Gas/ lines and qiring harness for the fuel, replaced a few other hoses that needed to be changed, and Cleaned the stepper motor.
Runs great BUUUUT.... Now she stalls out during hard/ Emegency breaking/ stops and will not restart untill I turn her of then back on again. Also There were no codes when I checked.

Any thoughts?

#5 ·
If there is a tipover sensor it may be incorrectly mounted or is malfunctioning, resulting in a stalled motor under heavy braking. It's the only function that requires cycling the key, at least I think so. It is , after all, Italian, and therefore marches to the beat of a different drummer. The problem could be in the vehicle next to you and the Tuono dies in sympathy.

Find a wiring diagram and take it from there.

Rob

#6 ·
L.O.L.... I ike the sympathy angle 😄

I tried a couple of things today just to see if it woild keep the bike from stalling and they worked
Unfortunatly I have no clue what it means or if it was bad for the bike Dooooh 😮

1) keept the throttle open a little when coming to a sudden stop(only from 20mph) and that kept it from stalling out.

2) Also gave the throttle a good goose right before full stop also stoped her from stalling. (like bliping the throttle on a down shift)

Any thoughts guys?

#8 ·
Glad I could help.

Imagine what would have happened if you pulled a wheelie, and when it almost got to the balance point the tipover sensor kills the motor, the front slams to the ground, and you sing soprano for the next week.

On a completely different note: does your Tuono have fatbars? And if so what is the diameter of the center section? Thinking of expanding the Thar Bar range.

Rob

#11 · (Edited)
Rob

Here are a few Pics with a ruler and a caliper.
Just a quick note: I am the 2nd owner of the bike and have done no mods to it. I believe the bike is set up with stock bars and riser.

- The first 4 pics are the with of the clamps/ risers.(1-4)

- The next 2 pics are the height of the clamps/ risers (5 & 6)

- The next 2 pics after that are the of the height of the fork adjusters (7 & 8

- The next 2 pics after that are the diatance from The riser and the bar to the Speedo (9 & 10)

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Rob,

Pics continued:

- The first pic is distance from clamp/ riser to fork adjust. (1)

- The next 2 pic afer that ar the caliper at the middle of the bar and the clamp/ riser (the calper is upside down in the clamp pic. (2 & 3)

-The llast 2 pics are the calper at the end of the bar (4 &5)

Hope these help (Let me know if the calper measures were correct. Never used a digital one before.) Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback (I can handle it L.O.L...)

Attachments

#13 ·
Excellent! I could practically draft up the triple clamp from those measurements.

One point: the measurements of the bar diameter at the controls shows 0.025" too small, which when adding the difference to the center makes 1.115", close enough for the stock I have on hand. Was the caliper zeroed before measuring? If not all you have to do is wipe the mating faces of the jaws clean, close them completely, then zero it. Your measurements will be much more accurate. Once you have done that I'd appreciate it if you would remeasure the center of the bar. I want to get this right the first time.

It looks like my bars may fit, but the preload / damping adjusters my prove to have a clearance problem if the clamp assembly is rotated much past vertical. We'll see.

How wide do you normally prefer? The standard handle pieces maximum width is ~29", depending on the pullback. I have tried to extoll the virtues of narrow bars to my customers but it is an uphill battle. At the moment my 919 has (obviously) my bars set at 22 3/4" to the ends of the grips, and as low as they can go, barely clearing the tank. For me it is suitable for hard canyon carving and hours long drones to GKW with no discomfort. But that, apparently, is just me.

I'll keep you in the loop.

Rob

#14 ·
Rob thank you for the feedback/ advice. I will remeasure the bars later tonight. It is possible the bar measurement at controls was off. Cleaning the calipers and moving the controls out of the way should make the remeasure (of both sections of the bars) more accurate.

Yes. I believe the preload and damping could be an issue. Especially if any one drops the triple tree down on the fork tubes. I have not touched mine since I bought it and it looks like just a few MM of drop.

As far as bar with I can not lie I am not sure what my preference on with or sweep is yet.
I was comfortable with the stock bars on my 919. I will be playing with bars for the first time on 919 as a friend of mine will be giving me the renthal ultra lows to try.

I would love to learn more about bars and the virtues of nararrow, wide sweep ect.... Is there a link/ thread i can read more on it?
Sounds like you ride very similarly to what I do. Mostly commute to work, the occasional bike vaca/ long trip, canyon and or track days with friends. (L.O.L.. I guess everything)
Not familiar with GKW What is thay short for?

#15 ·
Rob, My apologies for the delay getting back to you. I remeasured and the caliper read .85 or .86 depending on how I held it. It coukd be the calipers I am using. They are from Harbor Freight so I am not sure of the accuracy. If you like I can get an old school caliper with the numbers right on it.
Let me know what I can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.