2005 919 Battery ? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

2005 919 Battery ?

So my battery is dead & the dearlership wants to charge me $180 for a new one. Seems extreme. The part # they gave me was YTZ10S. After looking through the forums a bit it seems the majority of people are suggesting Yuasa, which apparently isn't a lot cheaper. My concern is that when I search for compatible batteries for the 919 the prices range from $54 to $160, which is a large gap. I only got 16k out of this one (Though I wasn't using a battery maintainer). So my question is if I'm only going to get 16k out of it, is spending more than double actually worth it?

Any info regarding this or perhaps some cheaper quality alternatives would be appreciated.

2005 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

IMO, get a Yuasa and a Battery Tender. Living in Memphis you should be able to get many years out of one. You can find them much cheaper than $180.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
CG

You don't need a Yuasa. For shit sake, it's a battery! Just don't buy some junk no-name brand. Not sure if WalMart still carries MC batteries but their store brand batteries are supposed to be pretty good.

That said, if you can find a good on-line price on a Yuasa, then you won't get shit from the Yuasa-only crowd.

I think there are also some higher end brands that are made differently and are lighter. I've seen magazine ads but have no first-hand experience.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 04:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Yeah, it's just a battery. Maybe in Md.

Out here in fly over country, there's often a lot of real estate between a stranded motorcyclist and help. The extra $20 or $30, for a Yasua, is good piece of mind. It'll probably last longer also. You get what you pay for.

Just shop smart. I'd look at Dennis Kirk. While you're at it, Get that Battery Tender.

post #5 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Pilus Posterior

I don't bother with Yuasa anymore after a couple of top line very expensive ones lasting no more than 2 years apiece (including the 919 factory one). I am running a Motobatt in my 919 - I've seen them on E-bay too, and so far I have been impressed.
I've also got a battery tender hooked up for the upcoming winter.

post #6 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Teen Wolf

got mine for $80.00 from some place called batteries plus

post #7 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration 
Total Awards: 5

well just because a yuasa says it is maintance free does not mean that you must keep it charged and maintained. a $20 battery will last longer than a $180 battery if the cheap one is maintained better. that being said 180 is too much even at the dealer, and a buddys viffer has the orignal battery from 04, he pulls it out every fall, charges it and puts it on the sheilf, charges it once in the spring puts it in the bike and heads out w/o a issue, you cant just leave these things unattended for months at a time.

post #8 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

my yuasa that came stock in my bike is dead after a year and a half and I keep a battery tender on it all winter. I bought a $75 batteries plus one today with a one year warrenty so no matter how long it lasts it's a better value than that yuasa. but I'm a little pissed at the moment that I had to buy a new battery on a year and half old bike that I kept maintained.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #9 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Pilus Posterior

Now don't go flaming me down but the answer I was given in New Zealand when I asked why my expensive factory fitted Yusha crapped out within two years I was told the ones made in America don't last as long as the Japanese ones......... I went home and checked - mine was made in Japan.

post #10 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 PM
So, you're a human...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Now don't go flaming me down but the answer I was given in New Zealand when I asked why my expensive factory fitted Yusha crapped out within two years I was told the ones made in America don't last as long as the Japanese ones......... I went home and checked - mine was made in Japan.
I'm pretty sure all the Yuasa batteries are made in japan... Maybe not though. On a funnier not, I read your post a few up about "the upcoming winter" and thought, jeeze, where's this guy live... then realized - oh yea, New Zealand.

I'm curios about the America/Japan thing. I'd believe it though. Here in the states' there are chemicals that companies either can't use or are very strictly controlled in using. Probably why Prius batteries are made with Canadian nickel that is shipped to China for manufacture. At least that's what I read. You never know on the internet.

-Adamjayp

EDIT: Never mind about that Japan only thing... I was way wrong. They have a manufacturing facility in Atlanta. Probably other places too.

post #11 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vastlee View Post
So my battery is dead & the dearlership wants to charge me $180 for a new one. Seems extreme. The part # they gave me was YTZ10S. After looking through the forums a bit it seems the majority of people are suggesting Yuasa, which apparently isn't a lot cheaper. My concern is that when I search for compatible batteries for the 919 the prices range from $54 to $160, which is a large gap. I only got 16k out of this one (Though I wasn't using a battery maintainer). So my question is if I'm only going to get 16k out of it, is spending more than double actually worth it?

Any info regarding this or perhaps some cheaper quality alternatives would be appreciated.

I can ship you one to the door for $125 Yuasa direct replacement. FYI
post #12 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Ride Like You Stole It

I still have the original battery on 2003 919....just use a battery tender

post #13 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks Chris for the BatteriesPlus suggestion. They have this XTAZ10S local & @ $80 bucks I can't see it being a bad thing. Going to pick me up a battery tender as well.

2005 Honda 919
post #14 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 AM
CG

Something else to think about with batteries is how they are stored & maintained prior to sale. As soon as you put acid in a battery, it has to be charged and maintained. If it sits on a shelf for any length of time, its lifetime is reduced.

Many batteries are sold dry with acid in separate container that you add before charging and installing. I don't like messing with acid but batteries sold this way have unlimited shelf life.

I bought a weird Yuasa battery for my wife's Metropolitan scooter. The way the battery is made requires that the acid is installed during manufacture. Who knows how long that battery was sitting around unmaintained before I bought it.

Not sure about the more typical Yuasa batteries like the one in the 919. But if it comes with acid in it, its lifetime is determined a lot more by how long it was sitting around then the brand stamped on the side.

post #15 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

They come with an acid pack that looks like a bunch of popsicles with fuel cell feeders. About as easy as you can possibly get. Turn it upside down and pop it into the cells, it self installs, and then cap it when done after it's set for awhile.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #16 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Tesserarius

Batteryjack.com $35 had mine for 2 years. My YUASA only lasted 2 years! This is gel filled just like the Yuasa and looks the same I think it's the same as the CBR600?

post #17 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by websch View Post
I still have the original battery on 2003 919....just use a battery tender
Same here at 45K with an '03.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode