2 Cylinder 919 - HELP! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

2 Cylinder 919 - HELP!

So I go out to meet up with the local IT guys from different companies for lunch. I take my 919. It's been running perfectly ever since I had that kill switch incident about a year ago. Let's not go there. It runs like a champ to lunch, couple miles of city streets and a few miles of highway.

On the way back to the office, I take the exit from one highway to another, pass a car, and in 2nd or 3rd gear at about 6,000 RPM, it falls on its face. Spits, sputters, and just totally loses power. I roll off then back on the throttle and all is fine. At this point, I'm about 2 miles from the office.

Once I get within sight of my office, I take the street that runs next to it because it is desolate and straight. I'm going to try to re-create the problem. I get on it in first and take it to about 8,500, no problem...shift to second, and as soon as it hits 7,000, it does it again, just falls flat like it's misfiring. I roll off, drop the revs to about 5,000 and it runs fine. I roll back up and right at 7,000 it falls flat again. I decide to just stay low in the revs back to the office, but now it's just poorly (I can tell I'm at least 1 cylinder down) I immediately pull off so I can listen to it idle. It's idling smoothly, but sounds like a ninja 500.

I was less than a half mile from the office so I limped her on back. Parked and found that the header pipes for Cylinders 1 and 4 and cold as ice.

So at this point, I'm going to start my search at the coil. I'll raise the tank, swap the coils and see if the reverse happens (2 and 3 dead while 1 and 4 run).

Anyone else have any ideas?

BTW: About 2 weeks ago, I pulled all the plugs and replaced them. I've had the SATO pipes on for a while without a PCIII so I wanted to take a look at them. That's the last maintenance I've done.

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Go back and look at what you did last...Check wires and plugs. More then likely you'll find your problem

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #3 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Imaginifer

I was leaning towards water/crud in your gas or gas...but 2 cylinders cold? You didn't get plug wires wet?

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
---Thomas Jefferson 1776.
post #4 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Go back and look at what you did last...Check wires and plugs. More then likely you'll find your problem
I already made sure the boots were securely attached to the plugs, and checked the wiring as good as I could without lifting the tank.

Here's the next question. Should I limp it home or have my wife pick me up in the truck? I'm leaning toward just having her pick me up, except for the fact that all the Hardley guys will still be here and will give me a hard time about my uber-reliable Honda being in the bed of a truck.

post #5 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

I wouldn't run it on two cylinders, seems that gas could build up in the two dead cylinders assuming the injectors are still pulsing.

post #6 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I already made sure the boots were securely attached to the plugs, and checked the wiring as good as I could without lifting the tank.

Here's the next question. Should I limp it home or have my wife pick me up in the truck? I'm leaning toward just having her pick me up, except for the fact that all the Hardley guys will still be here and will give me a hard time about my uber-reliable Honda being in the bed of a truck.

I'd still recheck your maint stuff. Check to ensure you have spark to all plugs.

Just pretend your working late and pick up secretly ay night

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #7 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Ride it off into the sunset then have her pick you up two blocks over, nobody will be the wiser. When it's fixed tell all the Harley guys it got Harleytosis from being around harleys in the parking lot but it's all better now.

Dan

Dan
post #8 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
I'd still recheck your maint stuff. Check to ensure you have spark to all plugs.

Just pretend your working late and pick up secretly ay night
I will. I'll take a break in about an hour and go dig on it some. As for the ninja stuff, I'll just have her pick me up. She knows Veronica (my 919 or maybe that's 459.5 ) is my daily driver and stuff happens.

Most likely I'll just catch a ride home with someone from work then come back and get it.

post #9 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Update...

I took a little break and looked at my problem a bit. When I first walked out there, I decided to just see if it would fire back up.

It fired and ran on all 4 cylinders for about 20 seconds before dropping to two. Then a few seconds later, all 4 were lit again. It continued this cycle for a bit.

I shut it down then unplugged and re-seated the wires going to the coil for cylinders 1 and 4.

Fired it up again and it ran on all 4 for a long while. Maybe a minute or so. Then it started the 4-2-4-2 cycle again. When running on 2, I can slowly give it gas and when the RPMs get up, all 4 pickup. However, holding steady at 2,000 - 2,500 RPM, it still cuts out and drops to 2 cylinders occasionally, then all 4 pick up again.

The tools in the tool kit do not allow me to get to the bolt holding the tank in place so I'll have to wait until I get home to swap coils.

I'll post up my findings after pulling and cleaning the plugs, and swapping coils.

post #10 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 01:39 PM
4 whls good 2 whls better

Two cylinders to go out at once pretty much has to be either spark or fuel, doesn't it?

You took out the PCIII, meaning you messed with the injector connectors into the ECU. I'd reseat all those connectors.

If the injectors are firing and there's no spark, raw gas would be coming out the tailpipe. Hydrocarbon emissions would be through the roof, if you've got a convenient way of measuring that. I'm not experienced enough to know if the mufflers would stink of raw gas.

post #11 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Two cylinders to go out at once pretty much has to be either spark or fuel, doesn't it?

You took out the PCIII, meaning you messed with the injector connectors into the ECU. I'd reseat all those connectors.

If the injectors are firing and there's no spark, raw gas would be coming out the tailpipe. Hydrocarbon emissions would be through the roof, if you've got a convenient way of measuring that. I'm not experienced enough to know if the mufflers would stink of raw gas.
I've never had a PCIII on the bike.

When running on 2 cylinders, it is definitely running rich. It smells like a gas station right now. I'm guessing that the first time it backfires, the Satos will catch on fire from all the raw fuel absorbed into the packing material.

post #12 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Should've bought a Yamaha

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #13 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Should've bought a Yamaha
I don't know. I have some rubber hose for the coolant system on my 919 that says Yama###ta.

I can't believe the system censored the name of the company that makes rubber hose for Honda!!!

post #14 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I don't know. I have some rubber hose for the coolant system on my 919 that says Yama###ta.

I can't believe the system censored the name of the company that makes rubber hose for Honda!!!
I'm sure when you'll figure it out and it will be a simple issue, bad plug, bad connection between plug and wire

Wish you luck either way

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #15 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Where's Bucky when you need him? He's always good for a few sensitive words of encouragement.

Dan

Dan
post #16 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Fat guy on a little bike!

If you need a coil or other ignition parts for testing, just scream. I have a few extras just laying around here.

Jeff
post #17 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Update.

It isn't the coil.

I swapped coils and got the same result. So...something is broken between the coil and the ECU? I'm getting ready to go out with my wife for a while so I won't be back at it for a few hours.

Where do the wires from the 1&4 coil go? Do they go all the way back to ECU or what?

I was hoping it would be something as simple as replacing the coil or plugs, but that isn't going to be the case. Now, I'm guessing a bad spot in the wires leading to the coil or bad part that controls the ignition. Hmm....ideas?

post #18 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

If you smell fuel then the problem is the spark is missing from those two cylinders. If both cylinders keep failing at the same time then it's not the plugs or the wires. It has to be something common to both cylinders. I'm pretty sure that each cylinder has it's own coil also so it wouldn't be the coils either.

I'll take a look at wire diagram and see what seems to be common to those two cylinders.

post #19 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
If you smell fuel then the problem is the spark is missing from those two cylinders. If both cylinders keep failing at the same time then it's not the plugs or the wires. It has to be something common to both cylinders. I'm pretty sure that each cylinder has it's own coil also so it wouldn't be the coils either.

I'll take a look at wire diagram and see what seems to be common to those two cylinders.
Okay it looks like there are only two coils but they are devided up into cylinders 1and4, 2and3. So are you sure you've got the correct cylinders not firing?

If you do indeed have raw gas and two cylinders not heating up then it almost has to be electrical and also numbers 1/4 or 2/3 not firing, that being the case the only thing it could be is the coil, the connector or wires to the ECU, or the ECU.

post #20 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Update.

It isn't the coil.

I swapped coils and got the same result.
Just to be clear, the same two cylinders misfired after the coil swap?

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #21 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi_gray View Post
Just to be clear, the same two cylinders misfired after the coil swap?
That is correct. The suspect coil worked and the known good coil quit working after swapping. This tells me both coils are good. I'm going to study the wiring diagram in the service manual and try to track down the problem.

post #22 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase

It's those pesky squirrels

They nibble on anything

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
post #23 of 39 Old 10-02-2009, 08:31 PM

If you need an ECM to play with I have one of those as well.

You can borrow it for as long as you need.

Jeff
post #24 of 39 Old 10-03-2009, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
If you need an ECM to play with I have one of those as well.

You can borrow it for as long as you need.
PM sent.

I didn't get a chance to look any deeper last night and I'll be busy with other stuff all day today and tomorrow but hopefully I'll get some time to work on her at night. I'll keep you guys updated.

post #25 of 39 Old 10-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

If the wiring checks out fine might want to take a look at the fuel pressure regulator.

post #26 of 39 Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

$10 says you pinched a wire with putting the tank up and down.... thats why the intermittent cutting in and out.... remove the tank and take a good slow long look for cut wires...

post #27 of 39 Old 10-03-2009, 02:16 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'm with MM on this one.

Check your vac lines just to be sure............

post #28 of 39 Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

If you don't already have one buy a cheap digital voltmeter. Electrical troubleshooting is soooo much easier with one. Without one you're stuck with replacing parts until it's cured or accidentally finding something. Either way it's a hit or miss operation, and likely to end up costing you a lot more than a voltmeter would.

All circuits need three things to work: power in, ground, and a load in between.

If the coil isn't getting power then the break is somewhere between where the wire crimps to the terminal and the splice in the harness where it splits off for the coils. If this is the case you will have to strip the harness cover back to find and inspect that splice. Be advised that the splice may also supply power to the injectors and whatever else Honda wanted to stop working when the EFI is powered down, so it may have more than two wires coming from it.

If it's a case of missing ground your options are a bit more limited: coil connector, wire to the ECU (no intervening connectors between the ECU and the coils, so no bad pins for an easy fix!), the ECU connector pins / mating issues with the gang plug, and the ECU itself. This is very rare.

You already eliminated the coils (load), so it isn't relevant here.

Look for worn spots on the main harness outer covering -- they may indicate a point where rubbing and vibration has broken a wire. Also check the condition of the wires where they crimp to the terminals at the coils: quite often the copper conductor will fatigue and break without affecting the vinyl insulation. To check for this gently try to pull the wire away from the terminal -- if it is broken the insulation will stretch without detaching. If it feels solid stop pulling!

That's it for now. Good luck.

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #29 of 39 Old 10-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I was going to suggest there might be a sheet of metal under your seat shorting it out.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #30 of 39 Old 10-03-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
If you don't already have one buy a cheap digital voltmeter. Electrical troubleshooting is soooo much easier with one. Without one you're stuck with replacing parts until it's cured or accidentally finding something. Either way it's a hit or miss operation, and likely to end up costing you a lot more than a voltmeter would.

All circuits need three things to work: power in, ground, and a load in between.

If the coil isn't getting power then the break is somewhere between where the wire crimps to the terminal and the splice in the harness where it splits off for the coils. If this is the case you will have to strip the harness cover back to find and inspect that splice. Be advised that the splice may also supply power to the injectors and whatever else Honda wanted to stop working when the EFI is powered down, so it may have more than two wires coming from it.

If it's a case of missing ground your options are a bit more limited: coil connector, wire to the ECU (no intervening connectors between the ECU and the coils, so no bad pins for an easy fix!), the ECU connector pins / mating issues with the gang plug, and the ECU itself. This is very rare.

You already eliminated the coils (load), so it isn't relevant here.

Look for worn spots on the main harness outer covering -- they may indicate a point where rubbing and vibration has broken a wire. Also check the condition of the wires where they crimp to the terminals at the coils: quite often the copper conductor will fatigue and break without affecting the vinyl insulation. To check for this gently try to pull the wire away from the terminal -- if it is broken the insulation will stretch without detaching. If it feels solid stop pulling!

That's it for now. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I have a Fluke 77 III so I should be able to follow the ignition troubleshooting procedure(s) from the shop service manual. I took a quick (minute or two) look at the wiring harness and everything looks great. There are no rubbed spots. I'll check the little spade connectors and the other items when I have more time.

post #31 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!

My problem is solved!

I finally had time to really sit down and look at it. That, plus Rob's advice on tugging the wire at the coil connectors, allowed me to find my problem and fix it. I have had the #1/#4 coil off twice (valve job, block-off plates) and Guess I broke the yellow/blue wire at the connector. I gave it a quick tug (checking wiring before following ignition troubleshooting from the manual) and the connector fell right off in my fingers.

I picked up a small box of weather resistant/proof spade connectors from Wal-Mart, went ahead and replaced both ends for the 1/4 coil (so it didn't look dumb or Jerry rigged) and fired it up. Rode around about 5 miles this morning and she didn't even hiccup.

Thanks for the suggestions and offers for parts/help. I guess I don't need them. Once again, Honda's quality shines while some idiot (probably me) broke something by tugging on a wire too hard.

post #32 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Yeah for you Chris!

post #33 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Congrats

Dan

Dan
post #34 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

Good job troubleshooting. Glad you got it figured out and are back on the road.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #35 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Good job

Bugs: 0
Cmurphy84: 1

post #36 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

No that's not it.

It's the fuel regulator.......

aw, what the hey, good job!

post #37 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 PM

Great news Chris. Glad you got it fixed.

Jeff
post #38 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Self proclaimed idiot....

That is why this forum is so great.....

Glad to hear it got straightened out.

post #39 of 39 Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Survivor/Broken&Busted

Awards Showcase
Community Service Veteran 

woo ... glad to know i'll definately be able to rely on this place ... (probably mostly rob) for advice if anything totally out of the box goes wrong with my bike ... lmfao ...

... Never take life too seriously ... Nobody gets out alive anyway ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode