1st long trip on the CB - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Optio

1st long trip on the CB

I'm not going to change my handle to touring1000 anytime soon. It really wasn't too bad. The bike is comfy even for lon rides. IF the road is smooth!
That race stiff suspension is brutal on bumpy roads! I think I got the wind knocked out of me on a couple particulary bad spots on I-77.

Well, I took her down to see my folks in NC. Round trip was 1300 miles. 650 down on thursday night, 650 sunday to get home. 38.5 mpg and none of that rumored oil usage. So far the bike has 3k miles on it. Oil perfect.

The bike was nice while moving. A little more weight on the hands than the 9er but it was bareable. at speed (80+) there is no weight on the hands. Actually some tension. I'd say between 70-80 is the neutral speed as far as the hands are concerned. My legs never got sore. My neck didn't get sore. All in all it would be a great track bike for the guy who doesn't tow to the track. Don't plan on anymore long trips with it. Definitly need to get something a little more focused on hiway for trips that don't invovle a track or very curvey roads once point B is reached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_2774.jpg (134.8 KB, 96 views)

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Optio

Sounds like you got your bar set-up right. What was your typical speed to average 38.5 mpg?

post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Being naked has it's advantages and disadvantages whether you're on a bike or in real life.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Glad to hear you like it. I plan on doing the same thing once my 9er is done. What bars did you have on your 919?

Spoiler:

post #5 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 02:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Have you played with the suspention settings?

I have my 07 CBR600RR set up so it really soaks up the bumps. I've just ridden it onec to and from work, in the rain, so I don't know if I've messed up the handling charactristics. If so, I'll just re-adjust it back where it was.

I really like the little CBR. But on it's finest day, it'll never be a `Wing, or even an Interceptor. OK, maybe it comes close to the Interceptor...

post #6 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 04:19 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Have you played with the suspention settings?

I have my 07 CBR600RR set up so it really soaks up the bumps. I've just ridden it onec to and from work, in the rain, so I don't know if I've messed up the handling charactristics. If so, I'll just re-adjust it back where it was.

I really like the little CBR. But on it's finest day, it'll never be a `Wing, or even an Interceptor. OK, maybe it comes close to the Interceptor...
I plan on riding Saturday (probably after lunch). Bring it out we can ride so you can test your suspension.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Little CBR is out for the count at the moment. I loaned it to a Knucklehead last fall/summer. He cranked it dead because he had the kill button in the off position. I wasn't around when he did that. He's an experenced rider, just not so bright. I bought that bike used with an extended warranty already on it. I just dropped it off at the Honda shop. They'll put a new battery in it, no charge for me. Isn't that cool?

I'll be on the 990. Where we goin? South? Or 145 to 62 to 66? 66 is dirty in spots because of recent flooding.

Are you paying attention, Jim?

post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Hmmm. Sounds like a fun ride. I"ll be at Nelson Ledges his weekend.

I haven't changed my suspension much since I got it. Sag was about right on. I did take one turn of comp out of the shock. It is fine for riding to work, but after 10 hours I think the CBR would be harsh no matter what I did. I could take preload out too but its not worth it to me. I'd rather sacrifice a bit of comfort to keep my performance.
I guess thats obviouse. Or I woldn't be riding a CBR.

It was mix of roads. Mostly 70mph zoned interstate. The all time low was 33mpg at which point I was averaging around 90. It was 1AM in a 70 zone with no cars in site. In the slower stuff, around 55-65 I was getting 42.

It has 919 bars on it.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode