1993 Triumph Trident 900 - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By garyb900

post #1 of 8 Old 03-21-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
1993 Triumph Trident 900

I stumbled across this bike for sale. I had never heard of it before and not much worthwhile information comes up on Google.

Other than being named after minty fresh gum, I know very little other than its kind of cool.

Does anyone own one of these or habe riden one? I think this is pre current day triumph, what kind of reliability do you think it would have?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Tesserarius

this is pre-hipster-triumph but post initial triumph shut down.

Triumph opened up again and produced a line of triple cylinder bikes that are not very well known, mostly referred to as the classic triples. i'm not sure the trident falls in to that category, it might have been in the sportier group with the speed triple and daytona. but they all shared the same power plant just slightly altered.

My first bike was a 2000 triumph adventurer. i loved it. it was my first bike so i couldn't really compare my impressions of it to anything. reliability was excellent, just sometimes some dumb things would go like the neutral switch. The carbs/airbox were a pain to get off. if you removed the sprocket cover you had to either have the bike tilted or change the oil. The pushrod seal was prone to leaking.
otherwise, they were bulletproof and it was a beautiful bike.
i later wished i had a Legend or thunderbird / thunderbird sport for a more standard set up.

Head over to triumphrat.net there's a great bunch of guys in the classic triples area.
I think one of more significant issues with the bikes was the sprag clutch and earlier models had mikuni carbs that were garbage (may or may not be on the trident, idk).

if anyone in my area gets curious about these Tridents, I stumbled across one the other day on DC's Craigslist i think. couldn't believe it.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

I owned a 1998 Triumph Trident 900 before my 919.
I bought it new and had it from 1998 - 2007.
I really liked it. It took me a little while to get used to the sound a triple cylinder makes.
I am 5'9" and 180 lbs. and I found it very comfortable to ride. It was quick and handled good. It FELT bigger than the 919.
It had a lot of low end grunt. It could get up to speed quickly enough.
I never had any mechanical problems with it. I made sure to properly maintain it. Quality was good.
Overall no complaints. I really can't think of anything I didn't like. Of course, it's not a true sport bike. It's more like the 919, a good, general purpose bike that can hold it's own and be sporty when it needs to.
These were made in Hinckley, England.
I have the factory service manual if you need to know anything from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1998 Triumph Trident 900.JPG (88.3 KB, 28 views)
benr likes this.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-21-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
Cool thanks for the info both. The bike sold just like that so I'm still browsing

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 Old 03-21-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Garage
I could probably just get another 919 and be happy but I would like to try something new

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 03-22-2016, 05:37 AM
Tesserarius

probably felt bigger because of the weight difference and if it was anything like my Adeventurer it has a much higher center of gravity than the 919 also.

if the triumphs interest you check out the classic triple line.. probably more cruiser than the 919 though.

I would have loved to own one of the early speed triples also. they just look so badass in a very proper british way.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Tirone

I had a 99 Thunderbird with the same inline 3. I bought the bike with about 10k on odometer and sold it with about 30k. I serviced regularly and never had a single problem. Although carbureted, always started easily and ran strong. A friend of mine currently has a 98 Legend TT (same engine) with about 30k. Also never had a problem. My experience is that these triples are simple to work on and very reliable. The two-tone paint and chrome on the Thunderbirds of that era is really beautiful.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-01-2016, 03:20 AM
Ayatolla of RoknRolla

Garage
cool looking bike.

- 2004 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode