1965 Harley - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

1965 Harley

I need help with this one. This forum is the only one I read and trust.
Last week I rode by a house that had been abandoned about five years ago and I stopped and look at it. In the garage was an old Harley, plate sticker 2002. Today I found the owner and asked if he wanted to sell it. He said, “make me an offer”
I don’t know much about Harleys, but I thought it might make a good winter project.
I took lots of pictures, here's some. It’s mostly all there, leaky motor, leaky gas tank, battery, flat tires and broken head light. The owner said it’s 1965 HD with a 90ci motor and disk brakes, the way it was when he bought 20 years ago.
What should I offer him? (help)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left side.jpg (335.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Motor Left side.jpg (188.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Rigt side.jpg (384.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Motor Right side.jpg (389.1 KB, 44 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Does it run, does the motor at least turn over? Kick only or both, kick and electric? Need more details.

post #3 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Why not?

i looked on eaby motors and they had a few 65's. the bids were around 2k. i would offer him less, to take the project he will never do off of his hands.

post #4 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Former 919er

He can't think that much of it if he leaves it in an abandoned property! It will need a lot of TLC. Good project. I'd offer $400, knowing that he will come back with $500 or laugh at you. Again, leaving it out where it could easily be stolen tells me he would be happy with $500.

post #5 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Pilus Posterior

Just remember it looks like it will cost $400 a year in oil!

Cool find and a excellent bobber project.

post #6 of 43 Old 10-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
As much disdain as I have for current Harley-Davidsons, I must admit, the old ones are pretty neat.I guess I'm a sucker for vintage. I'd offer about $500. And something tells me it's been modded if its a 90cu in. and disc brakes. The motor's a shovelhead so it should be a 73cu in, unless the motor was bored and stroked. Disc brake? Might be a mod. I always thought the CB750 was the first mass produced bike with a disc brake. Not a Harley expert by any means tho.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #7 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
And something tells me it's been modded if its a 90cu in. and disc brakes. The motor's a shovelhead so it should be a 73cu in, unless the motor was bored and stroked. Disc brake? Might be a mod. I always thought the CB750 was the first mass produced bike with a disc brake. Not a Harley expert by any means tho.
+1 on the engine. Not an expert either, but a quick search will tell you `65 was the last year of the panhead not the first year of the shovelhead. Something seems off there as well. If it truly is 90ci, then they probably threw a shovelhead topend on it. when they bored it. Either way, it would make a good project, but not sure if you would get your money back when you sell it. Especially with old Harley's, the value drops when they aren't original

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #8 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Damn, missed my edit time.

The tank badges are `66 as well. Are you sure the bike's a `65? If it's a `66 it explains the shovelhead topend as well as the tank badges, but not the claim of 90ci.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #9 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 07:54 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I have thought it over.........That is a cool project bike.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #10 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 11:32 AM
CG

You might want to ask about title and such.

Without a clean title, I would leave it..............

post #11 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The owner bought the bike 20 years ago. He said the previous owner had put a 90ci motor in it. He thinks it’s a 1965 but it could be a 1966, I will have to look at the registration papers. It was his first motorcycle, he doesn’t seem to know very much about motorcycles. It's missing the air breather, he though it was missing the carb. Vandals have stolen the air breather and broken the head light. It’s sitting in a abandoned garage without a door. I believe they came out with electric start in 1965. This motor is kick start, so I think it’s older than 1965. It kicks over but was last driven in 2002. Were disk brakes out back then on a HD??

post #12 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Aquilifer

Free may be too much.

I got a bike for free once.............$1500 later it was worth $800.

post #13 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Free may be too much.

I got a bike for free once.............$1500 later it was worth $800.
Ah, the life.

Not hard to do. Unless you go for an over the top restoration, bringing back an oldie usually isn't considered an investment. I guess if you get them rideable and do so for many years that's another story.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #14 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 06:38 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

If you don't buy it I will To bad I live 4000km's away. But I know a few people in Ontario.

post #15 of 43 Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

First year of Electric start was 1965, and it appears to have the BIG Solinoid so it appears to have the electric start. Also the Pan was last made in 65, but that is not to say someone did not go the Pan/Shovel route.

It is Definatly older than 70 due to the generator side cover.

I would check the paperwork, and match it to the VIN, I doubt this guy will take 500 bucks, but you never know till you ask! if the engine rolls over, I would go as high as 2 grand to 3 grand depending on how well you like the bike, and it has the paperwork, but I do not know the laws of Canada.

Usually the Shovel big inch kits from 88 inch to 93 inch, so if he has a 90 inch, he did all the work himself which is usually unheard of, most folks buy drop in kits, but there are a few out there that actually work on their bikes.

if you get it, I will trade ya a 1978 CB750Four with all the Vetter Windjammer hardbags and front fairing, the saddlebags are quick detach. I live in FL, and I would not be willing to drive and since everyone on here hates the Ol HD, that makes mine worth WAY MORE than that bike, so to make the trade fair, you transport.

No really I dig it, and it would go nicely in my barn, like I need another bike in there, I say you go for it! but the guy might think it is worth what a new bike is................

Good Luck!

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #16 of 43 Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well I talked to the owner last night and offer him $500 for the bike, he didn’t sound too happy. He said he wouldn’t take less than 2 grand. I guess FloridaMoutainTop was right. He has the ownership for it, but I’m not sure I want to spend 2 grand on a fixer upper.

post #17 of 43 Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Well I talked to the owner last night and offer him $500 for the bike, he didn’t sound too happy. He said he wouldn’t take less than 2 grand. I guess FloridaMoutainTop was right. He has the ownership for it, but I’m not sure I want to spend 2 grand on a fixer upper.
Well, you can tell him to give you a call when he finds himself in need of $1000, but don't let too many seasons go by before doing it.

General George S. Patton
post #18 of 43 Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
I need help with this one. This forum is the only one I read and trust.
Last week I rode by a house that had been abandoned about five years ago and I stopped and look at it. In the garage was an old Harley, plate sticker 2002. Today I found the owner and asked if he wanted to sell it. He said, “make me an offer”
I don’t know much about Harleys, but I thought it might make a good winter project.
I took lots of pictures, here's some. It’s mostly all there, leaky motor, leaky gas tank, battery, flat tires and broken head light. The owner said it’s 1965 HD with a 90ci motor and disk brakes, the way it was when he bought 20 years ago.
What should I offer him? (help)
This is what you need to do. Take the motor out and rebuild it if necessary. Since the motor is out clean it up just enough so that only the engine oil and road grime is off of it. DO NOT TRY AND POLISH IT! Same thing with the rest of the bike, just wash it like you would your car. BUT DON’T WAX or POLISH IT! Get the motor in and then RIDE IT!!! If you want a big thing now-a-days in shows it to keep the bike original and not restored. People like to see that these machines are getting used and not just restored and never touch again. If those disk brakes are not original then go back to original. Make everything original as possible. IMO this is one of the best things you could do for the bike.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #19 of 43 Old 10-08-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I asked you guys, “What should I offer him?” knowing nothing about Harleys. Most came back with $500 value. After a lot of research, a Harley is worth two grand or more running or not. A ten year old 919 not running with a lot of rust is worth that $500. I said ten years because this Harley hasn’t ran in ten years. This is a fact believe or not. By worth I'm saying what it sells for.

post #20 of 43 Old 10-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I guess there's lots of people with more money than brains who'll buy into a name. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it, since, in all reality, it's an old bike that needs a lot of attention and who knows what else to get roadworthy again. I get the Harley mystique... but in the end, 500lbs of iron is just 500lbs of iron, no matter what name they put on it. If you really wanna go for it, go for it. Old Harleys are neato, no doubt there. But I wouldn't spend the money on something needing a lot of love, and more importantly money.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #21 of 43 Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Former 919er

I still don't believe that it is worth $2k to him judging by how insecurely it is stored and how poorly it is being kept. Would he leave $2k cash in an old, open garage of that abandoned house? Not bloody likely.

However, now that someone is showing interest, he is probably asking/looking around to see what he might get for it if properly advertised. He's either going to call you up with a counter-offer or take it some where safe to clean up and show properly. Someone will likely pay $2k for it because it is rather classic and it is a HD. Theses old ones aren't nearly as prevalent up here as the are in the US, I'm guessing.

post #22 of 43 Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

kingston,

you push a hard bargin,i would take it if he gave me $500.your makin him give you $2000??? that mean

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #23 of 43 Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Gets censored

Why in the world would you pay 2k for that turd? Its cool but it aint worth 2k in that condition, not even close. Your 500 dollar offer was about right.

Check this out for example Antique 1976 Harley Davidson Ironhead 1000XL This weekend only!

post #24 of 43 Old 10-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Gets censored

post #25 of 43 Old 10-11-2010, 03:44 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

^^ Big twins are much different than Sportsters, this bike is probably worth 2k to someone that's into it. I'd agree, for me, no more than $500 though if at all.

post #26 of 43 Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Repeat off-ender

That bike could be made beautiful and it might be a lot of fun to ride but you are talking about a huge commitment. I suspect that you really need to be in to Harleys to go there.

"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"!
post #27 of 43 Old 10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
I asked you guys, “What should I offer him?” knowing nothing about Harleys. Most came back with $500 value. After a lot of research, a Harley is worth two grand or more running or not. A ten year old 919 not running with a lot of rust is worth that $500. I said ten years because this Harley hasn’t ran in ten years. This is a fact believe or not. By worth I'm saying what it sells for.
Most people around here know nothing of Harleys. Personally..........I think the bike is a great resto-project. I was fucking NINE YEARS OLD when that bike hit the road! It's got coolness that would be envied at all destinations if properly restored. I say if you got the talent, and about 5 grand to put into it, by all means do it. It will be a labor of love. You have the bigdaa seal of approval and a one man support group...........offer him 1500.(up from my previous 1000)

General George S. Patton
post #28 of 43 Old 10-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
^^ Big twins are much different than Sportsters, this bike is probably worth 2k to someone that's into it. I'd agree, for me, no more than $500 though if at all.
Oh i get it, thats just what I could drum up in a half a second of looking. if one were to put effort forth I think they'd find the originally posted bike is a 500 dollar head ache that should probaly be put down, thats all.

post #29 of 43 Old 10-11-2010, 05:29 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Oh i get it, thats just what I could drum up in a half a second of looking. if one were to put effort forth I think they'd find the originally posted bike is a 500 dollar head ache that should probaly be put down, thats all.
Having been "into" Harleys years ago, I disagree. They are really cool, if that's what you're into. I have since moved on and this wouldn't be a project that I would be interested in, but I have known and know a few that would love to find this bike and would restore it, or not, and love it for what it is.

post #30 of 43 Old 10-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Gets censored

We're all different thats what makes us coooool. Personaly I grew up with harleys all around and wouldn't ride one much less restore one. Gimmie an old Indian and I could pour some love in, too many dirt bags ride harleys and I wouldn't wanna have to wave at em all Lol!

Just not my personal cup of tea, either way there's tons of work too be done there someones gonna have to love it, or part it out...

post #31 of 43 Old 10-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
INDIAN FOR THE WIN!

post #32 of 43 Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Most of you said that a HD is only valuable if it original. This bike is far from original. The motor, and I question the disk brakes, these are not original. So what is it worth been not original. I’m going this week for a closer look at the bike. I will do a compression check and find out where all this oil is leaking from. I will get a firm offer on this bike.
If I decide not to get the bike, is there someone out there that might want it? If so contact me. Google my location at K7L4V4 Canada. The bike is about 20km north of here. These people are hillbilly’s type and no person there locks there houses. As I said there was been some vandalizing but this bike won’t be there in the near future as it is sitting in a garage that is wide open.

post #33 of 43 Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Ride Offensively

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Why in the world would you pay 2k for that turd? Its cool but it aint worth 2k in that condition, not even close. Your 500 dollar offer was about right.

Check this out for example Antique 1976 Harley Davidson Ironhead 1000XL This weekend only!

There is a BIG Price difference between the Ironhead SPORTSTER and a Big Twin

The Sportsters are cheaper by far, but the Big Twins keep alittle more of thier value.

I Can and will ride anything!
Bikes I own:
New addition 1978 CB750Four
2006 919
1994 home built springer
1984 KLR 600
1953 Servi-car (I gotta get this put back together)
1942 WLA (Gotta finish this one as well)
1985 Honda 200M ATC
1985 Honda ATC 70
1997 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 ATV
Early 1984 Ironhead Sporty (Wife has laid claim to this bike)
1986 Sporty that I am putting a ironhead engine into
YEA BIGDAA I Gotta GUN!
It's not that I am punishing YOU, I am just taking YOUR money and giving it to LAZY Asses who refuse to get off the TIT of the Government...Obama to Joe the Plumber
post #34 of 43 Old 10-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Gets censored

Quote:

post #35 of 43 Old 10-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Pilus Posterior

Run the rego - I'm pretty sure Elvis owned that bike once ............

post #36 of 43 Old 10-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
LOL then I'd give 2k for it quick, I love that guy!

post #37 of 43 Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Well it's one for the money,
two for the show,
gotta buy a Harley,
and go real slow.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #38 of 43 Old 10-15-2010, 07:10 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Well it's one for the money,
two for the show,
gotta buy a Harley,
and go real slow.

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #39 of 43 Old 10-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
Hey, don't you, step on my new brake shoes.

post #40 of 43 Old 10-15-2010, 09:02 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Hey, don't you, step on my new brake shoes.
Rare form, my friend!

General George S. Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode