1788 miles on the 919 in 3 days of riding - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 10-05-2007, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

1788 miles on the 919 in 3 days of riding

My butt still hurts 24 hours later.

Ok, it was actually 4 calendar days but 1.5 of those days I was working in the Alabama office.

Rode up from Friendswood (about halfway between Houston and Galveston) to Huntsville, AL in one day Monday. Slabbed it most of the way except for a back roads diversion that was supposed to take me north to Bogalusa but I missed the cutback east and ended up going to Hattiesburg, MS. Beautiful county, great weather, mostly boring roads on the way up because I did not have time to research much else.

Worked Tuesday and halfday Wednesday.

Left for the return about 2pm Wednesday. Decided on a lark to take the Natchez Trace. That turned out to be stupid...

Took some interesting back roads to Tupelo, MS. I love wandering rural roads. Gassed up in Tupelo because according to the map there was one gas station on the trace and it would be closed. So I had a 177 mile stretch to Jackson, MS with no gas. Turned out this was not a problem because I got the most amazing gas mileage I have ever gotten on the trace.

Hit the trace about 5pm. It was beautiful and the flow of traffic was about 60mph. But once the sun went down, the trace became a stupid place to be. The natural beauty was invisible outside the beam of my headlight and there were lots of deer. Only one kamikaze bambi ran out in front of me but it was enough to give me the adrenaline shakes for 5 minutes. The trace is kinda surreal at night. No gas stations, no billboards, no fast food. Just mile after mile of deer infested wilderness.

Because of the poor visibility and deer, I kept the speed between 57 and 62mph for all 173 miles I was on the trace. Even though my gas light was not on, I decided to stop for a break when I finally hit Jackson. 173.3 miles and 3.38 gallons of gas. Over 51 miles to the gallon if you drive like grandma heading to bingo.

Stayed the night in Jackson, MS. Took some beautiful backroads to Vidalia, LA and then experienced some really rough backroads. LA is beautiful and twisty in some parts but the roads are something else.

Ate at a McDonalds for lunch near Opelousas and discovered "McDonalds All Purpose Cleaning Solution" is great on taking bug guts off my face shield. Missed a planned turn near 105 and 190 in LA and figured it out when I ran out of pavement 6 miles later. Doubled back and made my turn only to discover it was dirt too. I was hot, tired, and getting a little sore so I slabbed it down to I-10 and the rest of the way home.

Great fun. Learned a lot about my bike. I think I will take off the little National Cycle screen, too much buffeting at interstate speeds. Anybody want to get rid of a Corbin? The stock seat is ok but not for those kind of days.

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
My butt still hurts 24 hours later.

Ok, it was actually 4 calendar days but 1.5 of those days I was working in the Alabama office.

Rode up from Friendswood (about halfway between Houston and Galveston) to Huntsville, AL in one day Monday. Slabbed it most of the way except for a back roads diversion that was supposed to take me north to Bogalusa but I missed the cutback east and ended up going to Hattiesburg, MS. Beautiful county, great weather, mostly boring roads on the way up because I did not have time to research much else.

Worked Tuesday and halfday Wednesday.

Left for the return about 2pm Wednesday. Decided on a lark to take the Natchez Trace. That turned out to be stupid...

Took some interesting back roads to Tupelo, MS. I love wandering rural roads. Gassed up in Tupelo because according to the map there was one gas station on the trace and it would be closed. So I had a 177 mile stretch to Jackson, MS with no gas. Turned out this was not a problem because I got the most amazing gas mileage I have ever gotten on the trace.

Hit the trace about 5pm. It was beautiful and the flow of traffic was about 60mph. But once the sun went down, the trace became a stupid place to be. The natural beauty was invisible outside the beam of my headlight and there were lots of deer. Only one kamikaze bambi ran out in front of me but it was enough to give me the adrenaline shakes for 5 minutes. The trace is kinda surreal at night. No gas stations, no billboards, no fast food. Just mile after mile of deer infested wilderness.

Because of the poor visibility and deer, I kept the speed between 57 and 62mph for all 173 miles I was on the trace. Even though my gas light was not on, I decided to stop for a break when I finally hit Jackson. 173.3 miles and 3.38 gallons of gas. Over 51 miles to the gallon if you drive like grandma heading to bingo.

Stayed the night in Jackson, MS. Took some beautiful backroads to Vidalia, LA and then experienced some really rough backroads. LA is beautiful and twisty in some parts but the roads are something else.

Ate at a McDonalds for lunch near Opelousas and discovered "McDonalds All Purpose Cleaning Solution" is great on taking bug guts off my face shield. Missed a planned turn near 105 and 190 in LA and figured it out when I ran out of pavement 6 miles later. Doubled back and made my turn only to discover it was dirt too. I was hot, tired, and getting a little sore so I slabbed it down to I-10 and the rest of the way home.

Great fun. Learned a lot about my bike. I think I will take off the little National Cycle screen, too much buffeting at interstate speeds. Anybody want to get rid of a Corbin? The stock seat is ok but not for those kind of days.

David

Great report! To bad you didn't get to ride the Trace in the daylight hours. That was one long quick ride you made there. You were right near my home town there when you went through Opelousas, Eunice.

Do you live in Freindswood and ride a 919? If so I live just north of you and I don't think I've ever seen you riding around here. Someone else just reported on motohouston that they just bought a 919 from Galveston Honda and brought it back to Deerpark.

Glad you made it safe.

post #3 of 14 Old 10-05-2007, 03:05 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Great report, David. We still have to get together for a ride one day. XRCajun, too, as well as the new guy from MotoHouston.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Hey moderators - Isn't there a long ride award for this guy?

post #5 of 14 Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Nice ride. IBA is calling.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Trace

David, you came thru my stomping grounds. About 100 miles is all I can take on the Trace. I rode the Trace every night back from work a few yrs ago and the deer eyes were everywhere. Glad you survived your night in Jackson, a bad place to be after dark for a tourist. Anyone interested in rides in this La, Ms, Al, areas check out:
Back Road Rides.blog Ray Fagin has one of the nicest sites I've ever seen.

[
post #7 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 10:20 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

Sorry

That address was Back Road Riding

[
post #8 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Tirone

Nice mini adventure. You were not to far from me as well. I rode the Trail of Tears a few weeks ago, it was about 500 mile round trip and I was exhausted after that. I felt beat up from the wind even with a Givi screen. The 919 is great fun to ride but you have to be conditioned for big trips IMO.

David

post #9 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase

After 150 miles I start squirming around looking for a soft spot. But, I believe most of the pain is from sweat damped pants. Might be better in a few weeks.

[
post #10 of 14 Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

NIce report. My butt hurts thinking about your ride. Deer are my greatest fear... Time to get out the bow.

post #11 of 14 Old 10-07-2007, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

XR and Rob: Yeah, I want to get together for at least lunch sometime. There is not much in our area for decent roads but we can get together. I think there is a group that gets together near League City every Wednesday night.

Believe it or not, bicycle shorts help a lot with comfort. I wore a pair on the ride out but forgot to wash them for the return ride. They keep your equipment in the right place, help absorb excess sweat, and keep your skin from sticking to your clothes.

The limited area of Jackson, MS I saw did look a bit threatening but I always travel armed. I'll do my best to avoid trouble and try to keep away from confrontation but I have no problems with self defense.

I really need a Corbin if I am going to keep doing this kind of riding but they are so darn expensive. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

The 919 is a decent sport tourer in my opinion. If I could make the handling a little sharper and more stable and remove the vibes at speed, it would be almost perfect.

David

post #12 of 14 Old 10-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
The 919 is a decent sport tourer in my opinion. If I could make the handling a little sharper and more stable and remove the vibes at speed, it would be almost perfect.

David
It's pretty good for hauling. Drop the forks and shorten up the stock chain. That will quicken the handling up.

Replace the bars and you'll cut the vibes, although I couldn't find any I like for touring and went back to the stockers.

A Corbin saddle, Givi windscreen and some undergarment make the long hauls much easier.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #13 of 14 Old 10-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'd suggest putting on a 17tooth front sproket that will lower the RPM's at highway speed and lessen the vibs it will also shorten the chain length which will improve tuning ratio.

There are some pretty nice roads that I have maps out down southwest of us that I've really enjoyed riding. About 150 miles worth and out of traffic.

Let's make a plan.

I can't really do the Wednesday night get to together. I get up a 4:30 the next morning and have a very long day. Late nights just make that almost impossible. I can do a Wed or Fri afternoon or Sat or Sun.

post #14 of 14 Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yeah, on longer rides i wear my cycling shorts underneath. It does help alot. But I would also like a Corbin seat under my butt.
The 2nd and 4th Friday afternoon & Saturday of each month is usually good for me. I have my daughter the 1st, 3rd, and 5th weekends of each month, but I'm usually free the other weekends. If I'm not too busy, then the weekdays I'm flexible.

The thing is, I live in the Spring Branch area.

As far as rides go: I have this Houston Scenic Daytrips Pocket Guide that maps out a scenic ride around Brazos Bend State Park. You take 762S off 59 south, then go through Brazos SP, the the towns of East and West Columbia, Pledger, Boling, Guy, then back to Hwy 762N to Hwy 59. That might be a ride to consider? We could Rendevous at Bltwy 8 or Hwy 6 and 59.

They also map out a trip around the Gulf taking 146 to Galveston, 87 through the Bolivar Peninsula, then 124, 1985, and 562 back to I-10. But I think that's more of a "tourist" trip, then it is a motorcycling daytrip. And I'm sure you would both agree on that!

All other good rides are up in the Forest or Piney Woods about an hour North of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode