$100 919 Shock upgrade - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

$100 919 Shock upgrade

I live close to a tuner guy that has done some pretty impressive work for me in the past. Just for fun I dropped off my shock and he rebuilt it

He changed the oil, moved some shims around and I'd say it's one hell of an improvement. I'll know more tomorrow (placebo effect) but so far I'm not preparing for the dreaded sharp edged bumps like I used to. Floats over them pretty good and doesn't seem to wallow as much.

Funny thing is, he's nearly positive the Race Tech Gold Valve will fit in there. I didn't want to gamble but he said there's no reason he can't see it fitting.

SageSuspension.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Tirone

Definitely update us. I live up in FoCo so if it works out well I will look at talking to the guy in the fall when I am not riding as much.

post #3 of 25 Old 05-18-2015, 07:28 AM
Robert

Garage
Cheaper and better upgrade:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg trashcan.jpeg (261.2 KB, 20 views)

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #4 of 25 Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

So much for today, crappy weather as it's been all year

post #5 of 25 Old 05-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC27 View Post
...and so, it begins...

post #6 of 25 Old 05-18-2015, 05:55 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I live close to a tuner guy that has done some pretty impressive work for me in the past. Just for fun I dropped off my shock and he rebuilt it

He changed the oil, moved some shims around and I'd say it's one hell of an improvement. I'll know more tomorrow (placebo effect) but so far I'm not preparing for the dreaded sharp edged bumps like I used to. Floats over them pretty good and doesn't seem to wallow as much.

Funny thing is, he's nearly positive the Race Tech Gold Valve will fit in there. I didn't want to gamble but he said there's no reason he can't see it fitting.

SageSuspension.com
Proof positive that something is better than nothing.

post #7 of 25 Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Going to a supermoto track tomorrow to find out for sure, but my initial thoughts are that this is a very worthy mod for those that don't want to spend 1/3 of their bike's worth on the rear suspension.

post #8 of 25 Old 06-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Proof positive that something is better than nothing.
Please forgive the Ohlinsophiles: they are desperately trying to convince everyone else that their solution is the only one worth doing. Granted, Ohlins are fine shocks, but they aren't the only ones, and indeed not the only avenue worth pursuing, especially for the monetarily challenged.

Case in point: a while back I got a shock for a 2003 Yamaha R6 from a seller on ebay for (believe it or not) $20 including shipping that is almost the right length, can mount the 919 spring, and can be made to fit. All that needs doing is to tear it down, replace the seals, and adjust the shim stacks for the different loading according to calculations comparing the R6 secant / cosecant linkage to the 919's non linkage sine setup. Piece of cake. Not bad for $20! Even if I took it to Sage Suspension it's still only $120. Much better than $800+ and I gain considerable knowledge in the process! Besides, I want to discuss an electrorheological shock with Steve.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 25 Old 06-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Besides, I want to discuss an electrorheological shock with Steve.

Rob
Now that's a discussion during which I'd like to be a fly on the wall. To the best of my knowledge, that's not technology that has made it onto a motorcycle, yet. It seems like it could prove worthwhile to develop, though. The application in cars lends itself most to cars with a sport/grand touring style of driving due to the inherent flexibility of such a suspension. That would be perfect for a bike like the 919.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #10 of 25 Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
Please forgive the Ohlinsophiles: they are desperately trying to convince everyone else that their solution is the only one worth doing.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #11 of 25 Old 06-04-2015, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

For me and many others the Ohlins is off the table. If you stay with the 9'ers shock at least the spring rate is fine (for most) and you don't have to worry about length. That right there is enough for me to continue working with the stocker. It is NOT that bad of a unit, what do you think comes on something like a Ninja 300? Racers re-build those shocks all the time.

This guy Steve Sage, I'm telling you knows his stuff if he says a Gold Valve will fit, I for one believe him.

Headed out to the track today

post #12 of 25 Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
$100? That's awesome! Keep us posted because I may be mailing my stock shock and works shock there tomorrow haha.
post #13 of 25 Old 06-04-2015, 06:12 AM
Immune

Quote:
For me and many others the Ohlins is off the table. If you stay with the 9'ers shock at least the spring rate is fine (for most) and you don't have to worry about length. That right there is enough for me to continue working with the stocker. It is NOT that bad of a unit, what do you think comes on something like a Ninja 300? Racers re-build those shocks all the time.

This guy Steve Sage, I'm telling you knows his stuff if he says a Gold Valve will fit, I for one believe him.

Headed out to the track today

Please keep us updated!!!!

post #14 of 25 Old 06-05-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

So I'm not going to pretend I know any more than the average guy when it comes to this stuff. I've owned a ton of bikes and modified the suspension on more than half of them and I'm still learning.

That being said this seems to be a very cost-effective and worth-while modification. I have not tired it with stock forks because I had my F4i forks with the Ohlins cartridges mounted but the rear end seemed to stay completely composed and less harsh over sharp edge bumps. The street ride I took last night seems to have confirmed that Steve was able to change the shim stack and match it to the oil weight very well.

When you consider the next best option is to buy and F3 (or I guess R6 now) shock, change the spring, mess with the length and possibly the internals, this mod it to me one of the best bang for the bucks I come across for the 919.

Please keep in mind I am not an expert. I seem to be in the minority in believing the stock shock is not best thrown in the trash. But damned if my bike isn't railing corners better than it ever has before.

I paid Steve $105 ($100 sounded better in the thread title, sorry) I am not affiliated to him in any way whatsoever, so contact him about pricing first.

post #15 of 25 Old 06-05-2015, 08:10 AM
Tirone

Thanks for the update, very informative. I love my 919, but just don't see spending a fortune on suspension, by the time I spent the $ to upgrade it all I could have bought a clean low mileage Triumph triple. (Been looking). I'll check out Sage and maybe put the triple idea aside for another couple years.

post #16 of 25 Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
When you consider the next best option is to buy and F3 (or I guess R6 now) shock, change the spring, mess with the length and possibly the internals, this mod it to me one of the best bang for the bucks I come across for the 919.
Thanks for the quality write up Ditch! I'll be suggesting this route for my brother and father's 919's. Just curious about the R6 bit you mentioned. People are mounting R6 shocks? This is the first I've heard of it.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Immune

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeep714 View Post
Thanks for the update, very informative. I love my 919, but just don't see spending a fortune on suspension, by the time I spent the $ to upgrade it all I could have bought a clean low mileage Triumph triple. (Been looking). I'll check out Sage and maybe put the triple idea aside for another couple years.

Exactly my reasoning for going with a rebuilt F3 shock!!!!!

post #18 of 25 Old 06-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Immune

Quote:
So I'm not going to pretend I know any more than the average guy when it comes to this stuff. I've owned a ton of bikes and modified the suspension on more than half of them and I'm still learning.

That being said this seems to be a very cost-effective and worth-while modification. I have not tired it with stock forks because I had my F4i forks with the Ohlins cartridges mounted but the rear end seemed to stay completely composed and less harsh over sharp edge bumps. The street ride I took last night seems to have confirmed that Steve was able to change the shim stack and match it to the oil weight very well.

Please keep in mind I am not an expert. I seem to be in the minority in believing the stock shock is not best thrown in the trash. But damned if my bike isn't railing corners better than it ever has before.

I paid Steve $105 ($100 sounded better in the thread title, sorry) I am not affiliated to him in any way whatsoever, so contact him about pricing first.

Definitely seems to be money well spent!

post #19 of 25 Old 08-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:

Just a bump for those who are also curious.

I am modding my brother's 919 while he is deployed as a welcome home present. Painting swingarm, 520 conversion, forks, headlight, bondo/ painting the tank. Also will be doing this mod, so thanks ditch!
post #20 of 25 Old 08-26-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
The Instigator

After a couple of months, Id say this is not worth more than $100 but still money well spent.

post #21 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 04:14 AM
Centurion

What makes you unhappy with it?

post #22 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Becuase a polished turn is still going to stink. But it's a lot better option for some than spending 1/3rd of the bikes value on an Ohlins.

post #23 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
post #24 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
The Instigator

Hard to say but that would mean spending more money and $100 is the max I'd want to put into it. A different spring and you might be 1/2 way to a Hagon money-wise

post #25 of 25 Old 08-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Would a proper spring help in your opinion?
Well if the spring rate is off then the whole thing is a waste of time. My stock shock was much better with a 1000lb spring in it. Stock shock with the right spring and a good valve would be much better.

Looks like I will have to do just this for my girls 599.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode