'07 Left me stranded - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

'07 Left me stranded

So the basics first:

2007 919, purchased brand new last year as a leftover
13000 miles
12v cigarette outlet and first gear heat controller unit installed (power taken from the hot side of the starter solenoid, grounded directly to the frame.
No other electrical mods of any kind (PCIII etc.)

Now the background:

Several weeks ago mid corner at spokane county raceway the bike quit on me. No sputtering, just flat died. Coasted out of the corner and went to pull off the track when I noticed the dash reset itself (as if I had cycled the key). Let out the clutch and she fired up and ran the rest of the day with no issues. I assumed I somehow hit the kill switch or something and thought nothing more of it.
Over the last couple weeks I have intermittently noticed the dash cycling as if the key is being turned off and on WHILE I am riding down the road. Never had any indication of lost engine power, just the dash. Occasionally I have not been able to get the bike to start. Hit the button and nothing happens. Cycle the key and/or kill switch a couple times and she fires up and runs fine. Once she flat out refused to start (no clicking solenoid, nothing). Bump started it in the parking lot, ran fine.

Now the current issue:

Went out to the garage yesterday morning. Fired up right away. Idled normally, pulled out of the driveway, made it about 1/8 mile down the road and it quit. Again no sputtering, just died. Both gauges are now pointing straight down (6 oclock position). I have no power to lights, dash, horn, anything. No idiot lights at all. I was on a hill so I tried rolling down about 50-60 feet to bump start it. Best I could get was a weakly lit FI light but no fire. Put her away and took a different bike out. About 8 hours or so later come back, turn the key on and nothing. No dash, no lights, etc.
I would be inclined to say the battery is just dead except that it cranked fine so if it is the battery it would have had to go flat while riding, with the engine at speed, and in the space of about 1/8 mile. I find that pretty implausible.
I did hear a rumor that there might be a recall/service bulletin/known issue with 919 ECU's randomly going bad but that is totally unsubstantiated which is why I am posting here. So far I have not had a chance to dig into the bike at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

There are cases on here where the wires have become disconnected inside the killswitch housing. I'd look there first.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Sounds like you have a wire fault. I agrees with murphy check the Killswitch. Do you leave it turned on or do you flip it on and off every time you ride?

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I just read this again. I missed the dim FI light. Have you checked the battery? How about the stator output?

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I haven't had a chance to check anything yet. As soon as I realized it wasn't gonna start I swapped for a different bike and didn't get back home until late last night. Hoping to spend some time on it this afternoon but I have tires and a front end to swap on another bike, and some adjustments to make on another so it can go in for a new exhaust this evening.
Checking all the various connections is definitely on my list though I would not have thought to look inside the kill switch housing so I will look there too. I use the killswitch on occasion but usually I just turn the key when I get get off the bike.

post #6 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 01:07 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I say go through every connection and clean them after you gone through them. Next is to check the GROUNDS!!! You could have a vampire with that 12v accessory plug.

post #7 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Tirone

Had the same problem, when my Hornet was 12 Months old, started and ran fine, then just cut out for no reason with gauges reset.
After checking the difficult things first, turned out it was a loose battery terminal. Takes 2 minutes.
Good luck.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

First & foremost check the battery connections. Make 100% sure they are tight that means put a 10mm wrench on them & MAKE SURE.

90% of the time all electrical troubles on a Honda lead to the battery cables (no pun intended)

post #9 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
First & foremost check the battery connections. Make 100% sure they are tight that means put a 10mm wrench on them & MAKE SURE.

90% of the time all electrical troubles on a Honda lead to the battery cables (no pun intended)
always check the simplest things first right! Thats what my dad always said with toyotas.... 90% of the time if on the rare ocasion it dont start check the battery!

post #10 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Pilus Posterior

Still under warranty I presume. If the battery does not check out make it the dealers problem.

If they did not fit the power outlet it may pay to remove it first ........

post #11 of 12 Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

As the fire department says "Try before you pry"

post #12 of 12 Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well, the bike is magically running perfectly again. Best guess is that one of the power terminals I added for either my 12v socket or heated gear controller was intermittently grounding out against the frame. Sadly I can't find any real evidence of this but its the only thing I can come up with right now. I wrapped the terminal with some electrical tape (temporary fix for now) but I'll just have to wait and see if the problem comes back up again. Such is the bitch when it comes to electrical gremlins I suppose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode