'04 forks on '03 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

'04 forks on '03 919

After watching the classifieds for a long time I was finally able to snag a pair of pristine '04 forks recently for my '03 919. Many thanks to TPirman for the smooth transaction that occurred between us. As most all of us know, the suspension is a weak link on the 919 ('02-'03 especially). Since I'm a heavier rider at 225lbs, I had experienced way too much brake dive and the stock forks basically felt too soft. I had installed 1kg Racetech springs and 15w oil about a year ago and there was a definite improvement. They didn't dive near as bad and felt way more solid under hard cornering. But they still felt just kind of dead.

Was finally able to find the time this past weekend to install the '04 forks. I expected a small improvement since despite the adjustability they are still stock forks. After taking the remainder of the weekend to adjust them to my liking I must say that they have turned out to be a huge improvement. I ended up sliding them .375 inch thru the top triple. Also, adjusted them to where there is 5 rings showing on the preload adjuster and all the way to soft on the dampening. Was surprised how solid they were when I first took off down the street so kept setting them softer. Ended up adjusting the rear shock to the 2nd from softest setting. The bike has a totally different handling personality now. It just glides thru the curves like butter now. Before, it just didn't seem to want to turn in as well. The improvement with turn in is probably due to sliding the forks up thru the triples and less with the forks themselves. The bump handling is totally different as well - they seem to just roll right thru without the front end feeling like it's bouncing - especially in uneven curves. I'm literally having to get readjusted to how I ride it. Much easier, but it's a big change.

They ain't Ohlins or nice USDs or even custom revalved - but they are a huge improvement to an '02 or '03 919 that came with the non-adjustable forks. You guys with '04 and beyond 9ers enjoy an extra luxury over the '02-'03s.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-12-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Forgot to post the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fork caps.jpg (302.1 KB, 98 views)

post #3 of 14 Old 12-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

did you go threw the setup like the one posted on the other shock thread

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9508_tech/

just curious cause when i went through this about 6mo. ago mine is setup differently and i weigh about 200 lbs. about 4 rings showing on front and on the second from the highest setting on the rear.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Razorbike,

I made this same modification last Spring. I wound up with the same preload and rebound damping settings that you did on the fork. The forks cost me $125.

On the '04 shock I also got, I settled on the 4th preload setting and soft rebound damping. I paid $60 for the shock.

The improvement in handling was dramatic and cost effective.

post #5 of 14 Old 12-12-2006, 01:09 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks for posting what i've thought for a long time but was too timid to say. I think my 04 holds a pretty good line. I rode a buddy's 03, and no, they are not the same machine IMHO. I've never had the 919 on the track. As for on the street, I've always disagreed that the 919 as as spineless as some people went on. I recently got an Ohlins rear shock set up for my weight. I called Dan Kyle about getting the front forks re-done also. To paraphrase what Dan said of the front forks of the 04 and later 919's: "They're not that bad. You won't notice a big difference if we re-do them." Good enough for me.

I'd still like to see someone experiment with lightening the spring on the rear shock. If that works, that'd be a really cheap fix for one of the few shortcomings of the 919. I think the suspention of the 919 is worth working on.

post #6 of 14 Old 12-12-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
did you go threw the setup like the one posted on the other shock thread
No, AJ, I just kept backing the adjusters off I step (or line) at a time then going for a short ride until they felt good. Again, I was amazed at how stiff they felt at first compared to the old forks with 1kg springs. And the preload adjusters had 3 rings showing when I installed them. The dampening adjustment was set all the way to hard, so I turned it all the way to soft just to feel the contrast. After a couple more rides I ended up at 5 rings showing on the preloads and it felt just spiffy! Then I set my tire pressure (Pilot Powers) at 35R 32F and went for a spin thru our fav twisties. Couldn't wipe the smile off my face for at least an hour after I parked it. My R6 friend even commented "damn, I need to get me some of those if it makes you that happy!"

Sniper, I agree with you on the 919 not being as lame as some seem to think handling-wise. I certainly don't now!

post #7 of 14 Old 12-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Me, thas who.

Awards Showcase
BOTM 
Total Awards: 1

Razorbike, I am happy to hear those forks are treating you well. I'm so jealous you are actually able to ride! Ride safe!

post #8 of 14 Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 PM

After the deer smashing and complete front end rebuild I got a brand new set of 06' model forks from honda courtesy of the insurance company.

my 02 now has bling. Nifty blue caps to go with the nifty blue tank

post #9 of 14 Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Yup, da nifty blue caps are da bomb on da 919

post #10 of 14 Old 12-20-2006, 03:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Razorbike, I set up the sag on my bike yesterday. Like you I have 5 lines showing on the front forks in order to get in the sag "window". Where did you end up putting your rebound setting? I figure your setting will be a good starting point. Thanks.

post #11 of 14 Old 12-20-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Razorbike, I set up the sag on my bike yesterday. Like you I have 5 lines showing on the front forks in order to get in the sag "window". Where did you end up putting your rebound setting? I figure your setting will be a good starting point. Thanks.
Yo, Sniper - I now have them set where there are 6 rings showing and the rebound is set 1 turn in from maximum soft. It feels just right now for my 225lb a$$! Hope this helps. I'm still amazed at what a huge difference adding the stock '04 forks has made in how well it handles. You might also try suspending the front end and sliding the forks about 3/8 inch thru the top triple as shown in the attached pic. Sure makes it turn in quicker and I've had it up to 110 with no sign of head shake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fork cap.jpg (136.4 KB, 31 views)

post #12 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 04:35 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post
Yo, Sniper - I now have them set where there are 6 rings showing and the rebound is set 1 turn in from maximum soft. It feels just right now for my 225lb a$$! Hope this helps. I'm still amazed at what a huge difference adding the stock '04 forks has made in how well it handles. You might also try suspending the front end and sliding the forks about 3/8 inch thru the top triple as shown in the attached pic. Sure makes it turn in quicker and I've had it up to 110 with no sign of head shake.
Once you have the suspension dialed in I would be interested in your front and rear sag numbers. These should be taken while wearing your full riding gear.

post #13 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 09:43 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

My rear is 35mm. The forks are 40mm.

I set my fork rebound at 1 and a quarter turns from full soft. I have not been able to ride the bike yet, so I don't know how my bike is going to react.

I have a used Ohlins on the rear. The previous owner was about 10 pounds lighter than I. I got lucky and the sag was right the way it came. I have ridden with the "new" rear shock. Altho the rear is now much more compliant, it still feels a bit more "bumpy" than it should. I'm going to talk to the guys at Dan's and see how much of what to try to eliminate some of the roughness. I'm using my re-done 929 as a guage. This is going to be a learning experence for me.

A properly set up suspention elevates the riding experence to a new level.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-21-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Once you have the suspension dialed in I would be interested in your front and rear sag numbers. These should be taken while wearing your full riding gear.
Will take those measurements soon Mike. I've been wondering myself. Had it dead on 30mm before with the 1kg springs. It's definitely softer now but doesn't seem to compress as much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode