'04 919 Owner - New Here - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 05-14-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

'04 919 Owner - New Here

Hello,

I recently picked up a Silver '04 919 with about 25,000 miles on it, but very clean.

I have been out of the MC club since '05. I have owned: 1993 Katana 600, 2000 Katana 600, 2001 Katana 750 and a 2002 TL1000R.

So far I love the 919. IT feels good to be back on 2 wheels, and my years on a Katana have thickened my skin against any idea that my bike is somehow inferior.

I'm also 45 now, and less inclined to make two trips per year to Deals Gap.

So far this has been the best resource that I can find for information about my new to me 919.

It took me a few weeks to realize that the previous owner had bar risers installed. I took those off and put the bars back to stock height. IT required a trip ato ACE for 4 new 1" shorter bolts, but was otherwise a simple fix. I also rotated the bars forward a touch and returned both perches to level afterwards.

It's running stock cans, but I am pretty sure they need to be repacked. It's not obnoxious, it's actually a nice mild growl, but I imagine it will grow louder over time.

My next quickie Project is to adjust the throttle play as I have noticed a little slop at times which leads to too little throttle one time, and too much the next.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Hello and welcome!

post #3 of 9 Old 05-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Pilus Posterior

Welcome, very clean bike!

The cans might have been debaffled, some like that others like stock. Hard to find a clean, all stock example. Where you located?

I'll assume you know how to check the date on tires, wear on chain, and have gone thru the fluids, so I'll skip those things.

Seems like we're getting a number of new 919 owners around here.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 PM
Tesserarius

The '04s didn't come with the stainless Y pipe.

I'd like to see a pic of the the rear of the bike.

Looks like a nice bike, tho.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yessir!

I'm in North Central Indiana, Near Purdue University. Also known as flat, straight and boring, except for a few roads around the Wabash.

I believe someone dumped some DOT 5 in the rear Master Cylinder. I had a mushy rear brake pedal and started the bleed process. After a few pumps , I noticed some solids in the fluid inside the cylinder. I cleaned all of that out, kept adding new fluid until it ran through into my bleeder bottle and buttoned her back up. Nice and firm and works well now. Front brakes are next on my list, the fluid is a fairly dark amber, so I am guessing it wasn;t changed at 24K as scheduled. I should probably change the coolant just to be safe.

Chain is in good shape, and I have enough miles of my own that it's about time to clean and lube again, I just need to find a good way to do that with neither a center stand nor a paddock stand. I may have to employ the Old Milk Crate MC stand for a while.

post #6 of 9 Old 05-16-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Pretty sure the Y pipe is NOT SS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
The '04s didn't come with the stainless Y pipe.

I'd like to see a pic of the the rear of the bike.

Looks like a nice bike, tho.

Here are Pics of the Rear. I added a License Plate frame with LED Plate light.

I also threw on some images of the Y pipe, not SS as well as my awesome Lord Vader Co-Pilot/Keyring while showing a return to stock height on the Bars

Not sure why the images are not showing, but here are links:

https://imgur.com/0KTFsYy
https://imgur.com/fUB7G2S
https://imgur.com/a7EG58C

post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 AM
919 Rider

Aaah... I love the silver look on the 919. Looks old school. Very cool and retro. Nice bike mate.

post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2018, 12:32 PM
Tesserarius

Thats a cool old bike Eric. I had a Silver 04, just like it. A lot of guys mod the hell out of those things, but they really don't need much. SS Brake lines, flapper, and get rid of the pollution crap.

As you know, head south. There's a lot of really good riding down here in hill country. You're not far from Putnam, if track days are your thing.

Hey, go to Spykes for me. See if there are any used KTM street bikes in there, that I can't live without.

post #9 of 9 Old 06-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Tirone

Nice, clean looking bike, looks good in silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode