04' 919 - new Signal Light Swap-out day - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 09-05-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Ayatolla of RoknRolla

Garage
04' 919 - new Signal Light Swap-out day

Bought a 919 last weekend, seller included a box of clear lens signal lights.

what I thought was going to be an hour swap out turned into three with the extra "cleaning" and other stuff I had to do to the lights to make them work properly and KEEP working properly. Here's my pics in steps.

First thing, head light off to get better access to the wires and mounting bolts to each side. a long 10mm socket worked perfectly getting them out. Put a cloth, rag or whatever soft on the front fender to rest the headlamp on while it's out of the way.

Head lamp off, first one bolted in...

my best buddy for the evening....

I wanted to make sure I tested these new lamps individually and from the get go I ran into issues. The internal springs weren't pushing up on the bulbs contacts and the contacts the bulbs sit on were dirty. My guess is this box of signal lights were sitting in a damp room for quite a while, causing oxidation.

This spring was a bit weak, wiggling the bulb slightly caused my two of the 4 signal lights to be cranky. Stretching them out an extra 1/4" made a huge dif....

Those two circular bulb contacts were so corroded they were barely making either Running or turning filament light up. The Fix? a piece of 400 grit sand paper and a shot of de-oxit....

These are a must for every motorcyclist's shop. Spring loaded electronic jumpers ! They saved me so much time and grief with each signal light to aid me making sure they worked perfect before putting them in.

Pic of the jumpers in action...

The signals lights were plug n' play... pull out old connector, push in the new one. I didn't need to solder at all up front.

fronts both in...

The rear turn signals:

This was more involved. I needed to solder the + and - of the old connector leads to the new leads because of the special connector back there. I used the stock rubber sleeving to cover it all when done soldering. So my steps were:

1. remove rear end. (remove seat,2 push pins, 2 10mm bolts under the seat, 4 bolts for rear seat handle, then slide it back, disconnect electronics, put it out of the way)
2. test operation with the jumper leads first! clean and stretch spring a bit!
3. Slide a piece of shrink tubing over each lead.
4. solder the leads together, slide heat shrink over, heat them with a small lighter, then slide the piece of outer rubber sleeving over the wire exposed behind the licence plate.
5. mount the lights, connect them up, do one final test.
6. use some blue locktite on the threads for the seat removal mechanism bolt. read this one in the forums here and mine was loose!
7. Put the rear back on in reverse order, I used some blue locktite here on all 6 bolts.
8. Crack open beverage of choice.

Rear lights on....

- 2004 Honda 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-05-2015, 10:38 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The new signals look great. Nice work!

post #3 of 13 Old 09-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Seems like an awful lot of work but I like the way they look

Dan
post #4 of 13 Old 09-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Robert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
+1. They look so much better than stock. Good job!

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #5 of 13 Old 09-08-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Ayatolla of RoknRolla

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
It was an evening tinkering in the garage or cashing the man-card in and watching "the Notebook" with the lady of the house.

- 2004 Honda 919
post #6 of 13 Old 09-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Wise choice grasshopper

Dan
post #7 of 13 Old 09-09-2015, 01:30 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rch View Post
The signals lights were plug n' play... pull out old connector, push in the new one. I didn't need to solder at all up front.
I'm a little confused by this... looks like everything is just bullets... My turn signals are color coded (one blue one orange) three pin connectors... maybe this is something they changed between years? Anyone know?

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #8 of 13 Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Ayatolla of RoknRolla

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
I'm a little confused by this... looks like everything is just bullets... My turn signals are color coded (one blue one orange) three pin connectors... maybe this is something they changed between years? Anyone know?
the wires on the old set were that color, the new ones going in were black, red and blue. Black was obvious ground but I needed to figure out what the red and blue did. The filiments in the bulbs had one thick and one thin wire. wanted the brightest one for the turn functions. That was easy enough to figure out with the jumpers, but the corroded and oxidized contacts in the signal light itself were an annoyance.

post #9 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 07:09 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rch View Post
the wires on the old set were that color, the new ones going in were black, red and blue. Black was obvious ground but I needed to figure out what the red and blue did. The filiments in the bulbs had one thick and one thin wire. wanted the brightest one for the turn functions. That was easy enough to figure out with the jumpers, but the corroded and oxidized contacts in the signal light itself were an annoyance.
I don't think you got what I was saying... I'm not talking about wire color. My turn signals have a single connector for all three wires, whereas yours are individual bullets, so this would not be plug and play installation for me. I'd have to cut off those connectors and add bullet connectors. I'll take a photo when I get home to clarify further.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #10 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 04:55 PM
RIDE RED

Front signals are bullets rears have plugs and some rear plugs were cross wired so pay attention when wiring

post #11 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I'm pretty sure on my '07 they were proprietary single connectors both front and rear. Orange and Blue.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #12 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 PM
RIDE RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I'm pretty sure on my '07 they were proprietary single connectors both front and rear. Orange and Blue.
That I can't be sure of as mine is an 02 however the green should be negative orange left blue right or vice versa don't feel like taking my bike apart to verify which is which

post #13 of 13 Old 09-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Tirone

I think clear ramp is pretty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode