03 cb919 wont start, need help!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

03 cb919 wont start, need help!!!

The bike has been acting funny recently... 2 times in the last month I was riding the bike and it just died on me. The first time I pulled over, sat with the key on and rocked back and forth on the bike (the oil and fi lights were on) after a couple minutes sitting and cycling the key a couple times the fuel pump primed and bike ran fine. The 2nd time I pulled over, kicked it into neutral and it fired right up. Its ran fine since then. Oil level is good, was changed less than 1k miles ago, coolant is full, etc. Yesterday I went to start it, I turned the key on, all the lights came on but the pump wouldn't run and the bike wont crank (headlight goes out when I push the start button). I checked all of the fuses, I bypassed the bank angle sensor by putting a paperclip between the white (or yellow) and red wire, when I do this I can push the start button and the fuel pump will prime but the bike wont crank. When it was running correctly the fi light would go out after the system had pressure. I don't know what else to check or where to start. Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Silent but Deadly

Check your battery. Seems to be the largest cause of such issues.

post #3 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Battery is fully charged, even tried it with the charger on the battery.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Discen

Check for a loose battery cable some times when you activate the starter if there is loose wire the arc of the current pushes the wires apart that's why you have to make sure the cables on the battery are tight.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Chief 10 Beers

Kick stand switch?

There are bold motorcyclists and old motorcyclists, but (OK) there are few old bold motorcyclists
post #6 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Found it, if the kill switch isnt making contact the fuel pump will not activate when the key is turned on, starter wont engage, etc... For anyone having this problem check the wire harness behind the headlight, when the kill switch is in the run position it should have continuity between the white/black wire and the solid black wire. If not, jump with a paperclip and go from there!

post #7 of 8 Old 11-26-2014, 10:00 PM
The Cripple

Yet another kill switch failure from Honda. Do yourself a favor: only use the kill switch in emergencies! Otherwise, use the key or the side stand switch.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-27-2014, 07:24 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Yet another kill switch failure from Honda. Do yourself a favor: only use the kill switch in emergencies! Otherwise, use the key or the side stand switch.
+1 I never use the kill switch. I vote to just use the key. The side stand switch just gives me another opportunity to forget to turn off the key and run the battery down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode