0-60, 0-100 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

0-60, 0-100

Has anyone done timed 0-60 or 0-100 with their stock 9'ers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=13609

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

I've hit 142mph with stock gearing and in 4th gear on a staight near my home
so your friend is already wrong on that account alone.
BTW- What does your buddy ride? The 919 is a super all-around and proven machine that does everything well and is a great value to boot. There will always be someone faster with bikes like the B-King and the VMax with all that stock horsepower out there but they sure didn't pay what I did for my bike from the Honda dealer. On top of all that, yesterday, I filled up and figured out my mileage and it averaged 48mpg. Pretty damned good if I do say so myself, and I do!

post #4 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Aquilifer

define "stock" ...not too many of true stock bikes in here. not for long anyhow. i believe motorcyclist tested them at 2.9 seconds 0-60 in a naked bike shootout 5 years ago. 6? mine, with stock engine internally (header and pcIII), does the eighth mile right AT 7 seconds flat at 100 mph. ie, 0-100 in 7. nitrous gives 10 more mph in the eighth.

post #5 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
so your friend is already wrong on that account alone.
BTW- What does your buddy ride? The 919 is a super all-around and proven machine that does everything well and is a great value to boot. There will always be someone faster with bikes like the B-King and the VMax with all that stock horsepower out there but they sure didn't pay what I did for my bike from the Honda dealer. On top of all that, yesterday, I filled up and figured out my mileage and it averaged 48mpg. Pretty damned good if I do say so myself, and I do!
I assume you are talking about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR919 View Post
As we all know, our beloved 919's speedo is very optimistic. About 10% optimistic. The June 2002 issue of MCN found the actual top speed of their test 919 to be 142.6 mph with a 0-60 of 3.22 seconds.
Hmmm... lets see, you are probably going by your speedo which is optimistic on every bike especially near the top. If the 10% stated in the quote is correct, then you are looking at a true speed of 128? Close ration transmission, there is not much more to go after that.

As it states in the quote, you can look up MCN June 2002 edition. I bet they actually have radar guns to tell you exact speed. MCN has no reason to lie, so I think I will go with that.

Also is it a link to another thread in this forum that answers the question asked.

So when you get done patting yourself on the back for owning you incredibly vanilla bike, can you please let me know who you are actually talking to? Because I did not see anyone insult your beloved 919 in this thread.

Spoiler:
post #6 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
define "stock" ...not too many of true stock bikes in here. not for long anyhow. i believe motorcyclist tested them at 2.9 seconds 0-60 in a naked bike shootout 5 years ago. 6? mine, with stock engine internally (header and pcIII), does the eighth mile right AT 7 seconds flat at 100 mph. ie, 0-100 in 7. nitrous gives 10 more mph in the eighth.
That's faster than I care to go!

Spoiler:
post #7 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Aquilifer

baby, once you go that QUICKLY (not "fast") there's no turning back. after nitrous runs, a 10.7 @ 123 (my best "stock" time) feels like a Buell Blast.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Pi2cCqDA&hl=en

post #8 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked/SS View Post
I really hate to tell you this, but 4th gear with stock gearing at 9,500 rpm computes to 124.9 mph.

Quote:
hondaf4iguy:
So when you get done patting yourself on the back for owning you incredibly vanilla bike
Let's talk vanilla.
Random House Dictionary of the English Language definition of vanilla:
4: adj. Ordinary, commonplace, devoid of distinguishing features.

On my commute to work on the 405 freeway:
Daily: Oh, look -- another sportbike. That makes 10 so far. I wonder what it is.

About 3 times in a year:
Wow! A 919!

Piuma road on any given Sunday:
About 100 inline four sportbikes. They all blend together into an amorphous faired mass.

Piuma road last year sometime:
Wow! A 919!

Which do you think more closely matches the definition of "Vanilla"?

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #9 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

one that does everything well, and nothing great.

Quote:
plain and without any extras or adornments; "the most common type of bond is the straight or plain vanilla bond"; "the basic car is known as the vanilla version"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
I drive a civic, it is a wonderful car. Vanilla as hell!

Spoiler:
post #10 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Aquilifer

really? i don't find my civic vanilla at all. more like phish food w/ psylocibin sprinkled on top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a7.jpg (141.6 KB, 52 views)

post #11 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

I laugh every time i see that car.

Spoiler:
post #12 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 01:03 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
Hmmm... lets see, you are probably going by your speedo which is optimistic on every bike especially near the top. .
Are you telling me that my RC wont do 205 ??

post #13 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
Are you telling me that my RC wont do 205 ??
Only if you take the exhaust off and run it with header only!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #14 of 33 Old 07-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Franklin McGillacutty

[QUOTE][/Which do you think more closely matches the definition of "Vanilla"? QUOTE] Killing wiht logic LUV IT.

post #15 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Rob nails it again.

post #16 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
I really hate to tell you this, but 4th gear with stock gearing at 9,500 rpm computes to 124.9 mph.

Let's talk vanilla.
Random House Dictionary of the English Language definition of vanilla:
4: adj. Ordinary, commonplace, devoid of distinguishing features.

On my commute to work on the 405 freeway:
Daily: Oh, look -- another sportbike. That makes 10 so far. I wonder what it is.

About 3 times in a year:
Wow! A 919!

Piuma road on any given Sunday:
About 100 inline four sportbikes. They all blend together into an amorphous faired mass.

Piuma road last year sometime:
Wow! A 919!

Which do you think more closely matches the definition of "Vanilla"?

Rob
Excellent point here Rob! I would say plain vanilla is anything that is very common place.

A Honda Civic is very good on gas mileage compared to the average car. Does that make it not plain vanilla? No!

I go on group rides with as many a 50 to 60 bikes some times and they are almost all typical sport bikes. Every time I do this people are all drawn to my bike asking what it is, what size motor, how fast is it, blah blah blah.

post #17 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

You guys kill me.

Call it what what you want. Vanilla is not a bad word and Rob's post does not even remotely change my mind.

Using his definition, I say look at standards over the past 30 years. Similar riding position, similar purpose, similar everything. Everything new standards have is passed down from other bikes.

So over the past 30 years, sport bikes have been cutting edge and pushing the performance envelope of brakes, suspension, and power. Fly by wire, variable velocity stacks, pro link suspension, etc... OK, nothing Vanilla there.

Now lets look at standards... Hand me down parts with usually 5 year or older technology. Not breaking any new ground and not defining future bikes...

Hmmm.... Which one sounds more vanilla?

SO, I am standing by my statement that the 919 is Vanilla (just like my civic). It is not a bacd thing. It is an all arounder - and that is exactly what some people are looking for. If you look at your bike and say "this is the best bike for me" then i say congratulations. If you look at your bike and think it is the greatest bike built, then I think you are dilusional.

Spoiler:
post #18 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Now lets look at standards... Hand me down parts with usually 5 year or older technology. Not breaking any new ground and not defining future bikes...
Not this one:

http://www.aprilia.com/modelli/road/...ry.asp?id=1652

post #19 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The 919 is definitely not the best bike ever made. But which one is? This will be debated until the end of time with no clear answer. Lot's of people think the GSXR is the best bike out there. I think it's just the most common and they almost all look alike. That's what I call vanilla, unless they dramatically modify them. Has it made a better race bike than the 919? Yes, but that doesn't make all the others out on the street less vanilla.

post #20 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokali View Post
Not old technology, but borrowed technology from the Mille. Aprilia at least offers up there sport bike in a second package with a civil seating position.

And no, I would not call the Toano Vanilla.

Spoiler:
post #21 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Not old technology, but borrowed technology from the Mille. Aprilia at least offers up there sport bike in a second package with a civil seating position.

And no, I would not call the Toano Vanilla.
Instead of borrowed, I like to think they offer a great powerplant in a sturdy frame with two beautiful options for different riding positions.

post #22 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
The 919 is definitely not the best bike ever made. But which one is? This will be debated until the end of time with no clear answer. Lot's of people think the GSXR is the best bike out there. I think it's just the most common and they almost all look alike. That's what I call vanilla, unless they dramatically modify them. Has it made a better race bike than the 919? Yes, but that doesn't make all the others out on the street less vanilla.
Common and Vanilla do not mean the same thing.

The GSXr is an exciting ride as are all liter sport bikes. They are common and I think they are common for all the wrong reasons (owner selection reasons, not the bikes fault). I do not see 150+ hp as vanilla, i think it is exciting as hell. New sport bikes have pushed the envelope very far... and I just can't wrap my head around calling that vanilla.

So there are thousands of them out there. So they may not serve any particular useful purpose, but that just makes them common.

When you have no sharp edges, you have no real defining quality about your bike... you get Vanilla. Everyone says the 919 does everything well. I have never disagreed. I think it is a utilitarian bike. It is a bike I respect as a commuter and a weekend bike.

I do not look at the 919 and have my imagination run.
It is a compromise. To me, it is Vanilla.

Spoiler:
post #23 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:22 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
I think it is a utilitarian bike. It is a bike I respect as a commuter.
+1

Exactly why I got the 919. In my opinion, it's the best commuter around.

It makes a decent novice to intermediate level track bike also, but not sure how hard you can "push" the frame. An SV-650 would be a better track bike.

post #24 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Discen

0-60 usually takes me about 9 seconds depending on traffic on the freeway on ramp.

post #25 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Cornicen

Sportbikes are sportbikes and not made to be as comfy as standards. many standards are detuned sportbike motors without the advantage of downdraft and compression.
Sportbikes are comfy in corners but let them follow the standards down the highway and it is an Oh Oh after about 50 to 75 miles. I don't think there is a perfect bike so we just get what suites our needs OR we have multiple bikes for different needs.
I think ZRX's are one of the best standards yet I still try to improve my two BUT I ride wifey's 919 (with her permission now) and wonder why Kawi could not have mede the REX lighter like the 919 is. It makes me feel like there needs to be another 919 in the gayrage but I haven't given up on the REX's yet.
I really want to ride the new Bandit. Little low on HP but up on TQ AND feels like it was made for me sitting on it.
Later == Bobby

I would also like to take the 919 out on the back roads to see what it is like to not be tired at the end of the day like when I have to manhandle the REX.

post #26 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

all this talk about vanilla is making me hungry. i might make a milkshake

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #27 of 33 Old 07-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

Vanilla yuk.Hows bout some white rice had flavor to your taste.That more defines the place of a 919.

I like Rice, love my 919.

post #28 of 33 Old 07-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvetree View Post
Vanilla yuk.Hows bout some white rice had flavor to your taste.That more defines the place of a 919.

I like Rice, love my 919.
Nice!
I like that analogy more!

Spoiler:
post #29 of 33 Old 05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Dragon Slayer

f4I's are like bungholes. Everyone has one.

post #30 of 33 Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Tire abuser

Vanilla, incidentally, activates over 230 different taste receptors - it is the most complex single flavor know to humans (look it up). Vanillin (artificial vanilla flavour) has only 2. So yeah, my bike is vanilla - it takes a conoisseur to recognize vanilla; the kids are all drinking energy drinks and being impressed by 0.04 cents worth of artificial flavour. (So sportbikes = energy drinks; loud graphics, make you go fast, serve no real purpose except to separate people from their money in exchange for the always-unfulfilled promise of increased personal desirability.)

Seriously, though, I consider the 919 a good choice for commuting, occasional touring, backroad carving, two-up grocery getting, etc. A CBR is an excellent choice for a racetrack... so why do people think they make good street bikes? Seems sorta like firing up the bandsaw to open a blister pack - it makes a lot of noise and gets the job done fast, but is it really the right tool for the job?

post #31 of 33 Old 05-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
f4I's are like bungholes. Everyone has one.
There is a reason for that though... They are GREAT bikes! Comfortable (as far as sport bikes are concerned), fast enough that you can keep up with almost anyone, super reliable and easy to ride.

Spoiler:
post #32 of 33 Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Dragon Slayer

I tried the full plastic sportbike thing. Not to my liking. I actually prefer my chassis to flex a bit and my suspension a little on the mushy side. Gives me feedback.

post #33 of 33 Old 05-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
Sportbikes are sportbikes and not made to be as comfy as standards. many standards are detuned sportbike motors without the advantage of downdraft and compression.
Sportbikes are comfy in corners but let them follow the standards down the highway and it is an Oh Oh after about 50 to 75 miles. I don't think there is a perfect bike so we just get what suites our needs OR we have multiple bikes for different needs.
I think ZRX's are one of the best standards yet I still try to improve my two BUT I ride wifey's 919 (with her permission now) and wonder why Kawi could not have mede the REX lighter like the 919 is. It makes me feel like there needs to be another 919 in the gayrage but I haven't given up on the REX's yet.
I really want to ride the new Bandit. Little low on HP but up on TQ AND feels like it was made for me sitting on it.
Later == Bobby

I would also like to take the 919 out on the back roads to see what it is like to not be tired at the end of the day like when I have to manhandle the REX.
I rode my old z rex 1100 from Wisconsin to Deals Gap and back. I don't find my 919 to be any more or less comfy. If I bought a new Naked today it would be the Bandit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode