What sells a 600? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

What sells a 600?

When I bought my 600RR I was looking for good handling, an engine with streetable charistics, reasonably comfy riding position, good build quality.

I think I got all that with my slightly used Pearl 07. Plus I got a steal of a deal, and the extended warranty was just icing on the cake.

I was at S+S Kawie, Suz, Honda, in Clarksville, a fairly large bike shop. They sell a lot of sportbikes. I asked the salesman about how the 600's sold last year. Everything I read said the Honda was the lightest, very good engine, etc. Supposidly the the 600 to get in 07. But the salesman said they sold more Gixxers. I asked why. He said because the guys that buy them, like how the Suzuki's turnsignals were integrated into the mirrors. That just blew me away that people (kids) are that shallow. He also said something about the rear fender/plate holder on the Suzi is preferable.... but I was still reeling from how one bike outsold the other because of turn signals, I couldn't remember what he said about the rear end. Unbelieveable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 05:40 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

The guys at S&S aren't the sharpest tools in the shed I've ever encountered.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

How is that unbelieveable?

People buy bikes for tons of reasons. If we bought a bike that truly fit our skill level, most people would not have a 600ss much less a new one.

I bought my F4i when the GSXr and R6 wiped the floor with it. Why? Personal preference. If it was not offered in Silver and Black, I probably would not have bought it. Differences in 600's are like splitting hairs.

Who can ride a 600 at 95%? Not many.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06

post #4 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 06:31 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

When Honda first came out w/ the undertail exhaust, how many sold b/c of that???

Not to mention the suzook comes w/ a slipper, not that half or if any of the "kids" know that.

post #5 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Honda unfortunately has had a conservative bent in their visual design philosphy for years. IMO, the Suzuki's visually just look better, and yes it does come down to the minor details like turn signal integration, plate holder position, etc, etc, for the average less informed buyer.

Just my .02 cents.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #6 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Doubtful I would buy a bike on turn signals alone, but being out on the mirrors puts them more in other dirvers view possibly adding an element of safety, however small.

post #7 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
for the average less informed buyer.
I think the informed rider realizes that all the major 600s are better than them. So small little differences are what sways a decision for even an 'informed' rider.

Spoiler:
post #8 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

The year was 1999: I was sold on the performance of the all new R6. Not too shabby in the looks department either.

post #9 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Gixxers sell more in a multi-line shop i think because it's the everyone-and-your-brother bike. all their boys have em, everyone knows the name and think they just have to keep up. you get little preferences like the signals and pipe that influence too

post #10 of 24 Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
When I bought my 600RR I was looking for good handling, an engine with streetable charistics, reasonably comfy riding position, good build quality.

I think I got all that with my slightly used Pearl 07. Plus I got a steal of a deal, and the extended warranty was just icing on the cake.

I was at S+S Kawie, Suz, Honda, in Clarksville, a fairly large bike shop. They sell a lot of sportbikes. I asked the salesman about how the 600's sold last year. Everything I read said the Honda was the lightest, very good engine, etc. Supposidly the the 600 to get in 07. But the salesman said they sold more Gixxers. I asked why. He said because the guys that buy them, like how the Suzuki's turnsignals were integrated into the mirrors. That just blew me away that people (kids) are that shallow. He also said something about the rear fender/plate holder on the Suzi is preferable.... but I was still reeling from how one bike outsold the other because of turn signals, I couldn't remember what he said about the rear end. Unbelieveable.
Thats funny right there! I haven't even bothered to replace the wacky plate holder thing on my R6. I can't see it when I ride, so who cares.

Last summer I went looking for a new 600. After research it came down to the CBR or R6. CBR because I am a Honda guy deep down, the R6 because it is a race bike with lights and looks better IMHO.

The Honda really cleaned up in every review but the local dealer would not budge from the MSRP. Even back in 2001 I got a decent deal on the RC51 which was rarer than any CBR. I ended up with an R6 because it saved me $1000 or so.

Around town its a little stiff, but dial up 16,000rpm and it sounds like an F1 car!

post #11 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I think the informed rider realizes that all the major 600s are better than them. So small little differences are what sways a decision for even an 'informed' rider.
Your right, but I was giving my opinion about sniper's question, which only brought up the Honda and the Suzuki. And the salesmans answer, which only brought up asthetic differences, and that "kids" were the ones buying. I'm pretty sure an "informed" rider would consider much more than just asthetics in his/her selection of a bike, however small the differences were.

post #12 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 04:31 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I heard its cuz Suzuki packs a can of Sardines under the tank of every Gixxer. Its really good squid bait......J/K, LOL

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #13 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

When I bought the 600RR, it was all about the performance and I was smitten by Honda's innovation with respect to applying MotoGP technology to the street.

If I were to make the same decision today, it would be much more difficult. Back in 2004 there was a clear and present winner. At present, all the manufacturers are pushing the technology envelope except Honda.

post #14 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Honda not pushing the tec envelope? Read the hard #s in any comparison. Then ride one.

If you say there's no difference between the 6's, you simply haven't done your homework. Too much trouble? The Suz weighs 20 lbs more. The R6 hasn't got the midrange and is a torture rack after 30 minutes. Honda has the best on/off throttle. I guess there is little difference if you're going to only ride around town on Sat nite looking for girls to pick up. But for those of us who actuall intend to ride them, there is a difference.

Jim's right. The guys at S+S aren't real sharp.

post #15 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

You're right, I don't know anything...

post #16 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase

I guess the times I had my 600RR on the track and the times I rode my buddies R6 don't count toward an opinion.

I also guess those guys on the GSXrs winning races just haven't been told they are suppose to lose yet.

And my homework says the 675 is the best bike in the middle weight division.

Spoiler:
post #17 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 08:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

i think the 6's are gonna have their hands full with Ducati's new 848. think that's gonna be the bike to beat this year

post #18 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Your all on crack... It's just that simple.

post #19 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I know most of the racers in my area will buy Suzuks because there's so many already at the track... easier to get used parts. You can count the Hondas on one hand usually.

post #20 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Discen

There were more R6's racing at Willow than any other 600. Maybe since Graves was a local boy we all got the bug. Not many Hondas when I left, they just don't seem to convert to race bikes very well (at the club racer level).

The whole midrange argument doesn't make much sense for a racing 600. You are never in the midrange! I wish I had data logging, but I think the lowest I saw on the track was maybe 8000 or so.

Honda = best street bike
R6 = best race bike

Speaking of the 848, I am going to ride the demo bike this Saturday if its not raining too bad.

post #21 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRevolver View Post
R6 = best race bike
If you're an experienced track rider and/or competitively racing.
The R6 for a new track rider is not a good bike to start out on.
I would recommend the Honda or the Suzuki.

And yes I've rode all three bikes on the street and the track.

As for the Ducati 848, just like any other Ducati, there aren't too many people who will shell out the money for a Ducati. Unfortunately, Ducati still has that thinking that they're bikes are maintenance hogs, no one wants to touch them.

post #22 of 24 Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRevolver View Post
Speaking of the 848, I am going to ride the demo bike this Saturday if its not raining too bad.
Ooooooh. Please report back when you do!

post #23 of 24 Old 01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Discen

Tomorrow is a high of 44F and 40% chance of rain.

If its raining I am not going to bother. Looks like sunshine Monday/Tuesday. If its nice I might work a half day and go see what the 848 fuss is all about! And yes, a ride report will follow.

post #24 of 24 Old 01-19-2008, 05:25 AM
Stare into me...

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

Used to be (in the 90's) that well rounded-ness sold 600's. It just so happend that the Honda CBR600F/F2/F3 also cleaned up on the racetracks at all levels.

That started to change with the first Suzuki SRAD GSXR600 in...97?. Then the R6 showed up at every racetrack everywhere. Since then the trend has been to much more focused machinery, and we all know the rest of the story......Modern 600's rock!!!!! Fuel injection, trick USD's, mad ponies and crazy stupid red lines all add up to less weight on the scales and ridiculously fast motor-bikkles.

And when I talk about 600's it makes me realize that at 37 I'm becoming a fuddy-duddy b/c I'd rather have a clean F2 than anything in the class.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode