Thoughts on 08 CBR 1000 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Thoughts on 08 CBR 1000

My dealer nearby has a leftover for a good price. Anyone have one currently have read a few things about them being restricted on top end. Not too concerned about that how is the suspension and power delivery. Have also read a few clutch hub problems. Any thoughts would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Sike

The only way in which you could refer to it as a little restricted up top is in comparison to the other literbikes of that year. However, they are still profoundly fast bikes that very few folks will ever ride hard enough to feel the limitations of, when compared to the other bikes. The issue I would be more concerned with is that a large percentage of the CBR's had/have extreme oil usage issues. That is part of the reason, from what I have heard, that there are a lot of them as NOS. I have talked to a handful of folks that bought them super cheap as trackbikes, since they are great bikes and the oil usage issue doesn't impact using it as a trackbike.

post #3 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

There's been some guys locally who have had oil loss problems with them. Not sure the exact year. I do know the dealers who went under got their inventory scooped up and it was sent to other dealers who were told to blow the things out the door. The local guy told me Honda said set your price you need and take off $2,400 from that amount.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
There's been some guys locally who have had oil loss problems with them. Not sure the exact year. I do know the dealers who went under got their inventory scooped up and it was sent to other dealers who were told to blow the things out the door. The local guy told me Honda said set your price you need and take off $2,400 from that amount.
My local dealers got over 100 bikes this way and some more from repo through Honda finance. The prices are crazy. They told me that it was easily there best January ever!

post #5 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
My local dealers got over 100 bikes this way and some more from repo through Honda finance. The prices are crazy. They told me that it was easily there best January ever!
Yep, and they're fixing the oil loss problem. I just never liked a motor being torn down by a local shop guy. Seen/heard/experienced too many bad things. At the price level they are selling them at WTH. Take a risk sometimes I guess.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Yep, and they're fixing the oil loss problem. I just never liked a motor being torn down by a local shop guy. Seen/heard/experienced too many bad things. At the price level they are selling them at WTH. Take a risk sometimes I guess.
It would pay for a lot of quarts of oil, and that isn't too much work for a couple thousand dollars.

post #7 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Hastatus Posterior

I think the oil issue was the first year : 2008 or so I've heard.

post #8 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

I have read that some have had some oil issues. The power will be more than enough. I don't want a problematic bike something turn key. It sounds like something I need to discuss with my dealer. Don't really like the service department at the dealer. The people who own are straight and have been buying bike & parts from them for many years

post #9 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Pilus Posterior

A turn key top-line bike that won/wins many accolades. Better than a sad-arse GSXR or pointless fancy-crank R1 (what a load of hype that was!).

But there was the issue of oil burning in some 08 models. I heard of a guy in NZ who got the entire bike replaced under warranty with a 09!

Pretty sure it was a issue with rings not bedding it. New rings fixed it and later models are sweet.

It will still be fully covered by Honda warranty and if there is a oil issue it is well documented globally so they would not have a leg to stand on.

post #10 of 36 Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

speed restricted........186 is not enough?

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #11 of 36 Old 02-11-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

As previously posted that is more than enough. I'm just wondering if what they did eletronicallly will affect the throttle response. I hear that is a easy fix from Bazazz if I feel it's not enough.

post #12 of 36 Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

The peak horsepower is restricted by the ignition timing map in the ECU. There are several different units on the market to solve that problem & I sell all of them.

the 08+ 1000RR is one of the easiest bikes to ride quickly and inspires a lot of confidence while also retaining a sense of balance between a pure bred racebike and a streetbike.

post #13 of 36 Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Le So Cal Troll

^ im tinkin he knows his shit?

post #14 of 36 Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Milites Gregarius

gotta disagree with this one - skip the bike they suck....

post #15 of 36 Old 02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
gotta disagree with this one - skip the bike they suck....
Meh - you just jealous of all the awards it won globally?

If they are really cheap buy two - keep one for later!

post #16 of 36 Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Meh - you just jealous of all the awards it won globally?

If they are really cheap buy two - keep one for later!
jealous ...No wished i had bought somthing else......maybe

I own one of the trickest CBR's you'll find this side of WSBK & the chassis sucks

post #17 of 36 Old 02-12-2010, 04:20 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

What are they selling for, OTD????

And there is always this -

http://world.honda.com/HRC/products/cbr1000rr2008_kit/

post #18 of 36 Old 02-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
jealous ...No wished i had bought somthing else......maybe

I own one of the trickest CBR's you'll find this side of WSBK & the chassis sucks
You must have bad luck or something. The vast, vast majority of folks that have ridden the CBR's of this vintage love the chassis and only complain about it being down a little on power versus the other (same year) literbikes and some folks have the oil issue. I wonder what is "wrong" with your bike.....

post #19 of 36 Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Optio

I have one. But only rode it 60 miles so far since the jack frost is having making up for past mild winters.

The restriction isn't much, and its a cheap plug in to get rid of it. I have not had mine past 8,000 rpm yet so I can't say how it feels up top. i'm sure it will put a smile on your face. The throttle response everywhere between idle and 8k is great. The bike is smooth as silk. Great street bike and even better race bike.

I have not raced mine. But a partner of mine does race an 08. He had an 07 that he crashed at MidOH. The 07 has cams/headwork/pistons blah blah blah. Plus Ohlins shock/forks. He crashed that 180hp 07 and the next session went 2 sec/lap quicker on his 08 with stock suspension. Power mods on the 08 were a slip on, zbomb, and bazzaz fueling. Nothing special.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #20 of 36 Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

Good to hear some positive info. I'm going tomorrow to look at it and put a deposit if I can get the otd price I want. They have for sale 8999 that's what I want to pay some dealers down south have them for 7200-7999. Wish me luck

post #21 of 36 Old 02-13-2010, 01:34 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Three of them on the local board have been in for oil loss repair. This is the latest one:

post #22 of 36 Old 02-13-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

It looks like its sold. I may be looking towards an 09 R1 they have 4 on the floor. Maybe for the extra thousand and peace of mind I may be better off.

post #23 of 36 Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoR6 View Post
It looks like its sold. I may be looking towards an 09 R1 they have 4 on the floor. Maybe for the extra thousand and peace of mind I may be better off.
Is the 09 or 10 R1 the one with the new engine (or both)? The new engine has overheating problems and the power is WAY lower than the other literbikes. However, if you get one without the overheating problems, the difference in power is only noticeable if you are used to riding one of the other literbikes. In other words, it is still a smoking fast bike and a lot of folks are getting better lap times with them than the other literbikes.

post #24 of 36 Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

Yeah I have heard of some overheating. The power is not a big concern. As long as it's useable power and torque. The pipes and cam I hear are the big culprit on lower power.
All bikes have some kind of compromise I know that I will have some suspension work done that and good tires. Just in case I can sneak away for a couple of track days this year

post #25 of 36 Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Sike

Quote:
Yeah I have heard of some overheating. The power is not a big concern. As long as it's useable power and torque. The pipes and cam I hear are the big culprit on lower power.
All bikes have some kind of compromise I know that I will have some suspension work done that and good tires. Just in case I can sneak away for a couple of track days this year
You can find the 08-09 ZX10's really cheap (like the other NOS bikes), and that is the best bike (stock versus stock) that I have ever ridden. Plus, there aren't any known problems with it (other than the ugly mirrors).

post #26 of 36 Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

The dealer near me that sells Kawi & Suzuki is a little shady. I have been dealing with my dealer for over 10 years. It's family owned and treat their customers well. They carry Honda, Yamaha, & Triumph

post #27 of 36 Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Test ride the R1 first if at all possible. I have. It might just be me, but that thing is just not a friendly bike. I could not get comfortable with it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine. Very high quality. I just would never be able to get along with one.

I've ridden a ZX10. I liked it except it was too easy to spin up the rear tire. I'm certain I would hi-side myself into oblivion with one.

Altho the Gixxer thousand gets raves from all the mags, I don't really care for it either.

I haven't ridden a CBR1000 yet. I'd liike to.

post #28 of 36 Old 02-14-2010, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

I would like too to test ride one. I know the suspension and seat conspire against overall comfort. Not much of a GSXR fan maybe a 750 would be fun though.

post #29 of 36 Old 02-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

I hope you don't arrange parades, since we've rained on all of yours so far.

Good luck with the search.

post #30 of 36 Old 02-14-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

Yeah I think I have some research and have come to a decision. A couple other things have to come into play work and selling my FZR 400.

post #31 of 36 Old 02-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Sike

Quote:
I would like too to test ride one. I know the suspension and seat conspire against overall comfort. Not much of a GSXR fan maybe a 750 would be fun though.
If what you want is the best bike to ride hard, I would vote for the GSXR 750. Most of us just really don't have the skill (me included) to ride the current literbikes hard. However, if you are a solid rider, like someone who can ride the front of the intermediate group at a trackday or anyone who can ride the "pack" in the advance group, you can get a lot more out of a 750 with little loss. Don't get me wrong, the literbikes are fun as can be, but it is also a lot of fun to be getting more out of the bike. Just a thought or three.... And, the GSXR's are solid bikes with few problems, if any (other than the squids...).

post #32 of 36 Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

I know I couldn't ride the 1000's near their limit. I ride in the advanced group at track days. I'm sure I can handle the 1000 and ride within my limits. I rode an 03 at track it felt wide in the tank area but easy to go fast on without much of sweat. I have ridden an 06 750 on the street like the bike. It reminded me of my r6 with more grunt to it.
I have to take out a loan, and it seems difficult to find a bank willing to do them these days. The dealers are offering good interest rates and much easier to get for new bikes.

post #33 of 36 Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 PM
Pilus Posterior

GSXR750 - now that is a sweet bike. And on many tracks in good hands a liter beater. Depends how long the straights are!

It is the bike that killed the 750 class - too good for the other makers to beat so they all concentrated on poxy 600's!

New R1 - wasn't that fancy crank a big wank eh! What a load of pot ash. And the bike got uglier too boot.

post #34 of 36 Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Optio

Someone explain the cross-fire crank to me. Were they trying to make an I4 produce torque like a pseudo V-twin?

post #35 of 36 Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 AM
CG

From the Yamaha web site:

"Crossplane technology, first pioneered in MotoGP® racing with the M1, puts each piston 90° from the next, with an uneven firing interval of 270°- 180°- 90°- 180°"

Look here for more propaganda:

2010 Yamaha YZF-R1 Features & Benefits

post #36 of 36 Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Exhausted

Awards Showcase

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode