the ongoing question: RC51 collectibility? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

the ongoing question: RC51 collectibility?

Yes, I know many threads already exsist on this topic. Most of them are a few years old and debate whether or not the bike will become collectible. I don't need to debate that point as I believe they have been a classic since they hit showroom floors.

What I would like to discuss is, now that the median age of an RC51 is about 10 years: has the bike reached the bottom of its depreciation curve? When will it start gaining in value? Which examples will be worth the most? Which modifications will help or hurt the value? And where do you see the bike 10, 20, 30, 40 even 50 years from now?

Personally, I think this is the best time to get one. I don't think they are going to shoot up in value any time soon, but I do think you'll see them creep up over the next ten years and probably level off. At that point they may have reached their original retail price of about $10k. I think in about 25 years you'll start to see some impressive figures for these machines, possibly close to $20k in today's dollars for low mileage SP2's. Original bikes will start becoming more desirable as you can't hardly find one today that doesn't have an undertail kit, I don't think a pair of Sato's will ever hurt the value, nor will a good dyno tuned map.

Obviously this is all speculative, for all I know I could be trying to unload my Nicky Hayden edition for two grand less than what I paid for it. But unless I lay it down, I find that scenario highly unlikely. Anyway, I'd love to get your input on this topic, go as far into the future as you want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

The RC51 will never double in actual value, but you can expect pristine examples especially ones that are stock without mods to hold their overall value even after accounting for inflation.

Even now poor examples are going for a strong market value, but you are never going to get rich with one of them...

post #3 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
The RC51 will never double in actual value, but you can expect pristine examples especially ones that are stock without mods to hold their overall value even after accounting for inflation.

Even now poor examples are going for a strong market value, but you are never going to get rich with one of them...
To say they will never double in value is dubious. I think with the relatively short production run and the unique nature of the bike, it's likely to double at some point. It may be (if)when I'm an old man, but I think it's inevitable.

And no one currently living is likely to get rich on an RC51, but it's entirely possible if not probable that a one hundred year old RC fetches a princely sum at auction.

post #4 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Don't hold your breath... They were still a mass produced motorcycle and have no truly special significance in the history of sportbikes. We are not talking about an RC30 or RC45 that was hand built in a custom shop.

The RC51 production bike doesn't share one single bolt with the Factory HRC racebikes used to win world championships. In fact the only thing that was the same between the production bike and the Factory Race Bikes was the BoreXStroke numbers and the size of the throttle bodies. Everything else was completely different...

post #5 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Don't hold your breath... They were still a mass produced motorcycle and have no truly special significance in the history of sportbikes. We are not talking about an RC30 or RC45 that was hand built in a custom shop.

The RC51 production bike doesn't share one single bolt with the Factory HRC racebikes used to win world championships. In fact the only thing that was the same between the production bike and the Factory Race Bikes was the BoreXStroke numbers and the size of the throttle bodies. Everything else was completely different...
I'm aware that 51's are not homologation specials like the 30 or 45. But they are, as of yet, Honda's only V twin supersport. I think it's fair to say they are special as far as production bikes are concerned. Regardless of the motorsports significance of the bike, people are spending upwards of five grand on CBs from the 70's! I hardly think it's a stretch to say that one day, someone will shell out twenty for an RC51.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

And I remember about a dozen years ago being able to pay about $1 per cc for honda CBs.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 02:37 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

You can believe what you want, but we will have long since devalued the US Dollar way before an RC51 is worth $20k

post #8 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
i appear missing

seems like someone is trying to make themselves feel better about a certain something.

or just trying to gloat.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
seems like someone is trying to make themselves feel better about a certain something.

or just trying to gloat.
If you mean me, I expect to more or less break even on my bike if I ever get rid of it, but that's not likely. I plan on having a clean, high mileage example in the year 2040, and I'd say chances are good that a mint condition one changes hands for $20k by that time. But maybe not.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

If you can choose to hang onto it completely stock and store it properly, then I'd say do it. As soon as Honda puts out another RVT however...

If you have an RC51 in pristine condition 30 years from now, I'm sure you'll get interests to buy. At what price is the question.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Back in the day

What difference does it make.
Just enjoy the bike.
Future value is just that.
I really do not care or expect to sell my bikes in the future for a profit. It would be nice and I have done that many times and the inverse.
I know that the 919 will not sell for much because it will have a lot of miles on it. But in return I would have given a lot of use out of it.
I do not think that the RC will appreciate in value to any great extent. It gets slower every year. Some of the parts for the RC have gotten $$ and that will slow down demand. Zero mile 2000 and 2006 bikes will have a following but that is about it.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondad View Post
What difference does it make.
Just enjoy the bike.
Future value is just that.
I really do not care or expect to sell my bikes in the future for a profit. It would be nice and I have done that many times and the inverse.
I know that the 919 will not sell for much because it will have a lot of miles on it. But in return I would have given a lot of use out of it.
I do not think that the RC will appreciate in value to any great extent. It gets slower every year. Some of the parts for the RC have gotten $$ and that will slow down demand. Zero mile 2000 and 2006 bikes will have a following but that is about it.
It doesn't make any difference. I just thought I'd bring up a topic of conversation on a forum about motorcycles. I personally find market trends for cars and bikes very interesting, I've followed classifieds since I was a teenager.

I bought my RC51 because I've always wanted one, not because I was hoping to turn any kind of profit with it. My predictions regarding the bike's future value have very little to do with my affinity for it. I've watched values fluctuate for countless vehicles that I've never owned and probably never will, call it a hobby. Apparently it's a topic not worthy of discussion.

It's kind of funny to see how negative this got over something completely theoretical.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Ldh is our token prick. His words, not mine.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #14 of 14 Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Ldh is our token prick. His words, not mine.
The only reason I even argued a counterpoint with him is because he was talking in absolute terms. Never going to double in price? Never is a long time. I'm not trying to offer up my predictions as fact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode