Super Duke? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 04-09-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Super Duke?

Anybody have a super duke? Been thinking about getting one and was wanting some input

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Here's some input:

Go buy it, take pics, audio of the exhaust, videos of the wheelies and wipe the grin off your face before your wife thinks you cheated on her and come back and tell us how dirty you feel :-D

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 26 Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I should ask, tho, which one you looking at? 990 or 1290?

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 26 Old 04-09-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

1290 all the way lol

post #5 of 26 Old 04-09-2015, 08:51 PM
TEXAN

I recently looked at (and sat on) a 1290R at a dealership. Even that was enough to inspire some salaciousness.

post #6 of 26 Old 04-10-2015, 06:47 AM
just send it.

Garage
I've been looking at the 1290 as well. I'd start selling my organs, but if I buy this bike I have the feeling I will need all the 'spares' I can get.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 26 Old 04-10-2015, 09:26 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

They aren't reliable enough for me at this point. I would not hesitate to own a 990, but the 1290 just has too many problems.

post #8 of 26 Old 04-10-2015, 10:47 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
They aren't reliable enough for me at this point. I would not hesitate to own a 990, but the 1290 just has too many problems.
What kinds of problems? I really haven't heard about reliability one way or another... I REALLY don't need to sell my VFR since I've finally got it (almost) completely set up the way I like it. All it needs is a set of Tech-Spec tank grips... If only I knew of someone who worked at a MC shop that could give me a deal *cough* LDH *cough*.

[This space for rent]
post #9 of 26 Old 04-10-2015, 08:30 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

The 990 won motorcycle.com's naked bike show down for both street riding and track in 2014. They even said it would contend for the bike of the year award. I don't think it got it. The s1000r came in second. Personally I like the BMW better based on price, technology and looks.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-11-2015, 06:03 AM
Tesserarius

post #11 of 26 Old 04-11-2015, 09:10 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've had the 990 version for almost five years already.

It is everything you read. IMHO,it was at the time of its introduction, and maybe still is, the most fun you can have with a street bike.

The only negative I have is that is fussy to start whan it's sat for a while. It always starts, but sometimes it may take 3-4 tries. But if you ride again the next day, it will fire right up. When I picked up the 390 Duke April 1, I left the 990 behind to have tha valves checked. 18,500 miles. I doubt that will do anything as far as making the bike jump to life any easier, but you never know. I'll report back later. It's been as rock solid as any jap bike I've ever owned.

1290 is too much bike for me. I've gotten real sick really quickly, of all the electronic crap on bikes now days. If you need 3 power modes, you bought too much bike. That's why I haven't bought an fz9. Too much electronic crap.

post #12 of 26 Old 04-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Le So Cal Troll

i rode a 1290.... talk about an amazing scary bike.

4th gear roll on wheelies. and snapping the throttle in first leads to just spinning the rear tire quicker than you can think.

post #13 of 26 Old 04-11-2015, 06:08 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
...... I've gotten real sick really quickly, of all the electronic crap on bikes now days. If you need 3 power modes, you bought too much bike. That's why I haven't bought an fz9. Too much electronic crap.

Agreed. I think it is lessening the riding experience. Working on your bike, figuring out it quirks and tinkering with the suspension is all part of the joy of ownership. It makes me feel that I am being dumbed down when all i have to do is press a button and my suspension is set up. The only button I want to press is "Start" and for the heated grips (These cold morning hurt my hands!)

Not saying the tech isn't cool or innovative, it is but it's just not something I would seek after when buying a new or used bike.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 PM
jrj
Optio

Quote:
I've gotten real sick really quickly, of all the electronic crap on bikes now days. If you need 3 power modes, you bought too much bike. That's why I haven't bought an fz9. Too much electronic crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
Agreed. I think it is lessening the riding experience. Working on your bike, figuring out it quirks and tinkering with the suspension is all part of the joy of ownership. It makes me feel that I am being dumbed down when all i have to do is press a button and my suspension is set up. The only button I want to press is "Start" and for the heated grips (These cold morning hurt my hands!)

Not saying the tech isn't cool or innovative, it is but it's just not something I would seek after when buying a new or used bike.
Exactly. Why would I want the bike to ride itself and do you think I like paying someone to work on my stuff because I can't afford the electronic toys to calibrate and update every little doodad they decided to put on it?

post #15 of 26 Old 04-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post

The 1290 is a powerhouse. I've never felt a bike was too much power for what I wanted or needed, so the 1290 was on my short list last winter.

Here's what I looked at:

I learned a number of 1290's were having an issue with rear wheel hub end play, to the point of being dangerous.
Beyond price alone, the 1290 is also kind of quirky; it resets the electronics back to default every time you shut it off.

For me the BMW S1000R was next in line, but I'm old and couldn't quite wrap my head around the electronic suspension. But cruise control & a quick shifter were awesome features.

The Tuono was out based solely on fuel range, if I was less of a commuter that bike wins for me.

At the risk of being flamed here (my opinion only), I didn't feel the Triumph Speed Triple was worth the price over a 919. It was better at everything, but not far enough ahead of the trusty 919 to separate with $12 grand.

the FZ-09 was a little down on power compared to what else is out there and the suspension is sub-par at best.

The Honda CB1000R wasn't enough bike to get me to part with the 919.

In the end I purchased a Ducati Monster 1200S. It is very fast but not the track equal of some of the above. It has Ohlins suspension that is so solid, I am in love with the handling. I'm very happy with it, though only about 2,000 miles on the odometer.

post #16 of 26 Old 04-12-2015, 06:31 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

FWIW, I have gotten 45 and 46 mpg with the 990 Super Duke. The tank is close to 5 gal, so if you had to, it has decent range.

post #17 of 26 Old 04-12-2015, 08:30 AM
The Instigator

I had an SMT and loved it. The 990 is an awesome motor that does get good mileage. It gave me some problems though and I can't go back to KTM as much as I'd like to.

post #18 of 26 Old 07-20-2015, 10:56 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The valves on my Super Duke were all within spec. No shims got replaced. They cleaned the butterflies, and injectors. It starts a lot better now, 2 tries some times. But quite often first try; it may be as long as 6 seconds on the starter, tho.

The 990 is a great bike. It took Yamaha 6 years to get the engine and weight matched. The rest of the Yamaha is cheap, in comparison. .

post #19 of 26 Old 07-21-2015, 04:37 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
The valves on my Super Duke were all within spec. No shims got replaced. They cleaned the butterflies, and injectors. It starts a lot better now, 2 tries some times. But quite often first try; it may be as long as 6 seconds on the starter, tho.

The 990 is a great bike. It took Yamaha 6 years to get the engine and weight matched. The rest of the Yamaha is cheap, in comparison. .
Yep, I can't understand how the Japanese think sometimes. They build an excellent motor and motorcycle, only to send it out the door with bargain basement suspension and other parts,then want a premium for it compared to what the Europeans have on offer.

post #20 of 26 Old 07-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Milites Gregarius

I had a 2008 990 bought with 2,000 miles. I put about 5,000 miles on it and sold it. Lots of oil leak and electrical issues. Snatchy throttle. Good power but not as fast as the z1000 I used to own. Handled well, but rear tire had a habit of cutting loose if you downshifted too soon. Engine sounded amazing. Great riding position. Power wheelies on command. It was a fun ride but the 919 is more satisfying to own. Owning a superduke is like dating a stripper. Great for those times you want to be a filthy pig. Too high maintenance and too much money. Keep your niner and buy a proper supermoto.

post #21 of 26 Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyHuxtable View Post
rear tire had a habit of cutting loose if you downshifted too soon.
Lol! I can easily do that on the 919 and the 919 is not known for excessive engine braking like the v-twins. The rear breaking loose is not a flaw of the bike, but rather rider error.

post #22 of 26 Old 07-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Milites Gregarius

That must be why everyone was putting on aftermarket slipper clutches...

post #23 of 26 Old 07-24-2015, 11:50 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyHuxtable View Post
That must be why everyone was putting on aftermarket slipper clutches...
Because it makes it easier and helps eliminates rider error. Down shift too quick on most bikes at a decent speed with out matching rpms before disengaging the clutch will always result in a sudden difference between tire rotation speed and surface speed. This results in the rear "breaking" loose.

When I was on " The Ridge" track, the mini straight leading into turn 13 which is a left hand down hill nose dive requires maximum braking and gear changes to get set up. If I exit turn 12 properly and get on the gas soon enough, I'll have to brake hard and shift down at least 2-3 gears which can make for some interesting fun. I've broken the rear loose many times while setting up for that turn in my struggles to balance hard braking. Setting up turn in lines, gear selection and rpm matching. Man I miss that track.

post #24 of 26 Old 07-24-2015, 11:59 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The 990 SD is very responsive.

Downshift too soon? What's that all about, anyway?

Buy a Honda and spend thousands bringing it up to par. There are threads like that all over this forum. I've done it myself.

Buy a KTM, and go ride.

post #25 of 26 Old 07-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Milites Gregarius

I understand why the rear tire breaks loose. I didn't need, or ask for an explanation. I gave my anecdotal experience as compared to other bikes. It's a strong and light v twin with heavy engine breaking. Which some people like, and others don't.

post #26 of 26 Old 07-24-2015, 12:23 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

My favorite part of riding the SD990 is the engine braking! At Homestead-Miami I would go railing into Turn 8 with my pants on fire, bang 2 downshifts and just dump the clutch while hard on the brakes and the entire ass end of the bike would kick out and square off the turn for me with virtually no additional effort. It was all a matter of timing rather than outright skill and it was just plain fuckin rockstar laughing fun all day long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode