Sport bikes - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Sport bikes

I have been looking for another bike to spice up the weekends and hopefully get into track days a bit. I'm in no rush, just happy to look at, ride and research as much bikes that grab my attention until the right bike and deal comes along. I will most probably or like to keep the 919 as a workhorse and for 2 up riding.

I have been looking at other litre class nakeds, but lately I find myself looking at litre sport bikes more and more.

Educate me on the top 4 jap brands. What I have managed to pick up on so far:
The CBR seems to always get the #1 slot for being the best real world (for use on public roads) and user friendly bike handling and forgiving wise. Then the R1 seems to get the crown for being innovative, fly by wire throttle and now the crossplane motor. The ZX10 seems to gets 1st place usually for being the most raw (track like), most power and quirky handling.
What claim to fame does the GSXR ususally have, more bang for buck, electronics like 3 different map settings?

I saw quite a beautifull looking 2008 GSXR Carbon Fibre TT Limited Edition this weekend with twin pipe yoshi's. Similar to this bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full.jpg (37.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg View2.jpg (19.4 KB, 14 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Tough choices huh?

Haven't been on a new Gixxer or the Yammie, although I would really like to try the Yammie.

CBRs are always refined machines with plenty of aftermarket, although some of the newer ones have oil loss problems. There's a few here locally that have had the motor torn down under warranty. This season will tell if it fixed it or not.

I rode a newer ZX and liked the thing. It's quick on the pipe and handles well.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Sike

I wouldn't go from street riding a 919 to tracking a literbike, you are likely to scare yourself shitless and get in folks way (best case scenario) or wreck. I would get either an SV650 or Ninja 650 used to track for a year. Then, a used 600 (maybe something somebody already setup for trackdays) for another season. Then, go to the literbike. With that said, all the current Japanese literbikes are awesome and us mere mortals really can't ride them hard enough to make fine judgment difference. So, sit on all of them and see what you like the feel of. Then, if possible, test ride the one (s) that feel best and go that direction. Once you get comfortable using a literbike for trackdays you will have more fun than should be legal!!!

BTW--- I think the 08+ ZX10 is the best sportbike ever built!!!

100% Club Founder

post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I wouldn't go from street riding a 919 to tracking a literbike, you are likely to scare yourself shitless and get in folks way (best case scenario) or wreck. I would get either an SV650 or Ninja 650 used to track for a year. Then, a used 600 (maybe something somebody already setup for trackdays) for another season. Then, go to the literbike. With that said, all the current Japanese literbikes are awesome and us mere mortals really can't ride them hard enough to make fine judgment difference. So, sit on all of them and see what you like the feel of. Then, if possible, test ride the one (s) that feel best and go that direction. Once you get comfortable using a literbike for trackdays you will have more fun than should be legal!!!

BTW--- I think the 08+ ZX10 is the best sportbike ever built!!!
Advice taken on tracking a 1L bike first off.

As for the road, I will just have to test ride the jap 4 when I get a chance and see if I like any of them.

post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Advice taken on tracking a 1L bike first off.

As for the road, I will just have to test ride the jap 4 when I get a chance and see if I like any of them.
You will probably like all of them!!!

100% Club Founder
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
I killed Barton664

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

BMW s1000rr homie. BUY IT

Spoiler:
post #7 of 11 Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Since we're spending your money, I'm with Bass on this one, the BMW is an amazing machine

Dan
post #8 of 11 Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 AM
Discen

I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm looking for an street/track bike. Most of the stuff you said it what I've been reading around the net. The GSXR's I've sat on seem to be the most comfortable for me, I'm about 6'0, and it has alot of features, I think it's the happy medium in most categories. The ZX10 is raw and nasty like you said, that's all I seem to read about it but it's usually at the top of the charts. I've sat on the R1 and I actually never find the yamaha's comfortable, they always seem to put you in a aggressive race position. CBR's are lower on power, but very useful to most riders because of that. I've got my list to 1)GSXR 2)ZX10 3)R1 4)CBR but I don't quite know yet what I'll get.

With that being said have fun!

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE
post #9 of 11 Old 04-14-2010, 05:46 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Triumph 675 are fast, fun, and flirty...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2010, 06:10 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I like the 675 as well.

However if a liter bike is what you are after...
I would pick up the GSXr first.
Of the four, it always seems to be the one that comes out of the box the way you are trying to make the others work. There is tremendous aftermarket support and they can be had for cheap.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #11 of 11 Old 04-14-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basspiece919 View Post
BMW s1000rr homie. BUY IT
Definitely. If I was to go brand spanking new, that's what I would most probably go for. For the % difference in price, you may as well go for the BMW with the shed load of technology in comparison to the Honda which is about NZ$5000 less (all of a sudden - last year it was much closer before the BMW launch), btw US$ 0.70 = NZ$1.00 approx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicsoldier View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm looking for a street/track bike. Most of the stuff you said it what I've been reading around the net. The GSXR's I've sat on seem to be the most comfortable for me, I'm about 6'0, and it has allot of features, I think it's the happy medium in most categories.
That's what I have picked up on, comfortable and features such as 3 electronic map settings at the touch of a button.

Quote:
I've sat on the R1 and I actually never find the Yamaha’s comfortable, they always seem to put you in an aggressive race position.
Heard that complaint a few times, but then again, it is supposed to be a race replica.

Quote:
CBR's are lower on power, but very useful to most riders because of that.
I spoke to a 2008 GSXR owner this past weekend and apparently this is where the 3 ride settings are so useful. Apparently he had it set in "C" mode in the hills a while back and was still running away from the other bikes as the bike was easier to ride and actually more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloaker View Post
I like the 675 as well.

However if a liter bike is what you are after...
I would pick up the GSXR first.
Of the four, it always seems to be the one that comes out of the box the way you are trying to make the others work. There is tremendous aftermarket support and they can be had for cheap.
Well that is what I am picking up on, overall fit and finish isn't Honda quality, but apparently you are getting a lot of bike for your money relatively speaking. So basically bang for buck. Seems the 2007/8 is the pick of the GSXR's. From all accounts a very good bike and they are reasonably affordable, around the NZ$14K mark, so approx NZ$10K cheaper than the average new price for all 4 Jap brands.
Apparently the GSXR's are the heaviest of the bunch though. Will check on this, don't know how much difference this makes for street use realistically.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode