Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Sport Bike Size

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Pvster 
#1 ·
I saw a Ducati Panigale 1299 at the Detroit Auto Show last week and I was shocked by how physically small the bike was. I understand most sport bikes are built for smaller racers (Márquez at 5'6", Lorenzo at 5'7", and Rossi on the tall end at 6'0"), but that bike just seemed downright diminutive. It got me thinking that as a tall guy that'd eventually like to get into some tracking, what hope is there for me???

Knowing that smaller displacement bikes will naturally be smaller in size but also grasping that it's safer and better to learn how to track ride on a smaller displacement bike, are there any options out there? Since I know I'll be limited by ergos, I think my best bet to even have a chance at fitting on something would be to look in the 700cc+ naked range and just do my best, because I'll never fit on a 600. I don't want to take the 919 tracking because it's my baby and, I think others will agree, it's not an ideal bike to learn track riding. Does anyone have a suggestion for a bike that might fit a taller person while allowing for some track day learning?

-Hodor

PS - Since I know someone was going to reply with this anyway...

See less See more
#2 ·
I tracked my 919 and thought it was really a good bike for my first few trackdays... comfortable, easy to get into the groove, and I'm very comfortable on it. I'm 6'3" and weigh 300 lbs and am now tracking a GSXR 750... while it is not comfortable at all for street riding, it's amazing how perfect it feels once you drop into the first corner, and I haven't felt like it was too small of a bike for me... eventually I'll get some adjustable rearsets and clip ons to get it even more comfortable for me, but I've had no issues so far.

#3 ·
I had a hoot tracking my CBR250R. At 6'2" with woodcraft rearsets set to 'all the way up' it was comfortable for my upper body, but left my legs a bit cramped. 1/2hr track sessions were tolerable, and I did multiple 400+mi days on it. I never "laid'er down for safety" but I did look at the price of replacement parts...they're pretty darn cheap in my opinion. I'd rather replace the plastics on a slow as hell cbr250r than one of my alternavites... i.e. replacing a tank/gauge/headlight/exhaust on a 919. Ninja 250 may not be a bad choice either.

Also, check out Motorcycle Ergonomics to see how the different bikes compare. Not sure if mini's are popular in your are or not, but with a bit of work (big bars, bigboy seat) a klx110 (and a ton of other kids bikes) are great to learn on as well. You can go a year or two on a set of tires. A couple gallons of gas lasts forever. They crash well...

#5 ·
Just track your 919 and be done with it. Find out if you like it, enjoy it, and willing to commit to it. It isn't cheap but my god it's fun! The 919 is great for a beginner. Especially since you already own it. If you think the 919 is fun on the street, it really comes alive on the track, it ain't no slouch!

Try before you commit to a track bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.