Rode a Buell 1125R - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Rode a Buell 1125R

It was my day to test ride bikes, some dealership guys showed up at the RedBull MotoGP kick off event on a couple of new 1125R's and when I commented on how I'd like to ride one they tossed me the keys.

I only went a couple of blocks, but here are my brief impressions...

Bars low, pegs far back and really high, seat hard. Engine puts off an impressive amount of heat, makes my FJR seem like a cool runner in comparison. 1st gear is really high, have to almost slip the clutch to get it moving and then it jerks along at low speeds. Good power, responds instantly to throttle input. Big brakes, very sensitive to lever and pedal input. Quick steering, didn't get to experience any real curves but I'm sure it would handle very well. Cool looking bike, some of the other guys there didn't like the huge air intakes but I think it has a mean and purposeful look.

I'm afraid I'm too old for it, the seating position would kill my back and knees, plus I'd have a heat stroke in city traffic. Cool bike though and I'm sure it would be a blast on the track or some twisty country roads. I appreciated the chance to ride it on the spur of the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buell1.jpg (81.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Buell2.jpg (81.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Buell3.jpg (90.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Buell4.jpg (75.0 KB, 42 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Das Kalmar

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

I like the look of the intakes too. I have always wanted to ride a Buell. My buddy said he went riding with one once and the guy was always tightening up stuff that had shook loose.

BOOM CHICKA
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert260 View Post
I like the look of the intakes too. I have always wanted to ride a Buell. My buddy said he went riding with one once and the guy was always tightening up stuff that had shook loose.
I'm sure on the ones with the Harley aircooled v-twin that is the case, this new one with the Rotax engine is much smoother and I didn't notice any excessive vibration.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Maybe a first gen buell has thos problems. The new ones, even with the HD power plant do not have any stupid issues.

I am glad you rode the 1125r. I liked it when i rode it. My impression was very similar.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Legalize it please?

I love those bikes... Very jelouse! Cool write up, thanx!

2007 CB900f- sold
2009 K1300s- rockin out
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Other than the 1st gear issue you describe I have to say my 45 minutes on the 1125r left me with the same conclusion. Fun but too cramped for me...nice as a 2nd or 3rd bike depending on stable-mate. A lot of research left me with the impression that reliability is on par with most other manufacturers but resale is nonexistent; to the point that once you've got one...you'll have to keep it.

...don't you always slip the clutch to get a manual transmission vehicle moving?

post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Other than the 1st gear issue you describe I have to say my 45 minutes on the 1125r left me with the same conclusion. Fun but too cramped for me...nice as a 2nd or 3rd bike depending on stable-mate. A lot of research left me with the impression that reliability is on par with most other manufacturers but resale is nonexistent; to the point that once you've got one...you'll have to keep it.

...don't you always slip the clutch to get a manual transmission vehicle moving?
Perhaps I didn't explain my gearing and clutch impression well enough. It felt like 1st gear was so high, it was almost like taking off in 2nd, which necessitated slipping the clutch more than I would on another motorcycle. Then at parking lot speeds it felt like I needed a lower gear, 1st chugged as if I were lugging the engine in too high of a gear.

Some bikes have really low first gears that require shifting almost immediately, this one felt just the opposite, a really high first gear that made taking off a bit tricky.

As far as it being cramped, it's a very compact bike, I'm 6'3" with long legs, I'm sure it would fit a shorter person better.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Perhaps I didn't explain my gearing and clutch impression well enough. It felt like 1st gear was so high, it was almost like taking off in 2nd, which necessitated slipping the clutch more than I would on another motorcycle. Then at parking lot speeds it felt like I needed a lower gear, 1st chugged as if I were lugging the engine in too high of a gear.

Some bikes have really low first gears that require shifting almost immediately, this one felt just the opposite, a really high first gear that made taking off a bit tricky.

As far as it being cramped, it's a very compact bike, I'm 6'3" with long legs, I'm sure it would fit a shorter person better.
I see.

It was probably a fueling issue on that bike. Very common, very annoying... and in various states of "fixed" depending on which Buell enthusiast you speak to.

Thanks for clarifying.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

A buddy of mine just bought a black one with a nice looking dark blue frame. It's the 25th Anniversay edition. Since Buell has been kick out of Harley they've marked the price down on the 1125R by 4 grand where i'm at and they are selling them out rather rapidly. My buddy's is a 2008 but it was still new so he got it for list 6999... Nice deal. i'm looking forward to going on a ride with him. Wish i was in the market for a new bike, cause i'd be all over one of these things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode