Ride of my life - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 05-11-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Ride of my life

Last night was my dad's birthday party. One of his friends that came over did so on his 2005 Hayabusa. That thing was AMAZING. We talked about riding for a few hours, then I took him out to show him my 919 and all the mods I've done to it. He seemed pretty impressed with my customizations.

Here's a list of his PERFORMANCE modifications:

Full Akroprovic exhaust system
Yoshimura racing cams
new valves and injectors
PCIII with custom map
one tooth down up front
speedo healer
Garmin GPS
and a few more things I forgot.

It dynoed 174 to the wheel.

The handed me the key and said have fun.

The throttle response was there as soon as you just TOUCHED it. I was genuinely afraid. At any turn or corner I just put it in a lower gear and let the motor attempt to slow down some and coasted through. I never gave it more than a quarter of a twist and only halfway up the RPM's and it put my 919 to absolute shame in speed. It was effortless in any aspect of speeding or lofting the front wheel. I never got higher than 3rd gear because it was the equivalent of the 919 in 6th at 70. No down shifting necessary to make you s*** your pants with pure speed. Roll ons in 2nd at 20 miles an hour felt like I was taking off in an airplane in a combat zone.

He said he raced his friend on a brand new stock ZX-14 and outta first gear he had a little more than a bike length on him, and kept it all the way through. He is selling this one (a 1299) and getting the 2008 (a 1340) which is faster than the ZX14 from the factory by a few hundreths of a second, then he is doing the same thing to that one performance-wise.

2 > 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-11-2008, 10:14 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I am so happy i've never had the opportunity to ride a machine of that caliber.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

there must be a ton of used busas w/ low mileage from owner's who bought waaay over their head...

i've thought about a "bigger" bike for the street but haven't decided between criuser/sportcruiser or a big old naked pig like the zrex, stories like this make me think something like a VTX1800 might be better for me.

that combined w/ the kwaks going for $9500 it's a challenge not to spend money

post #4 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Them "Big Block Bikes" are fun if you live in an area to enjoy them, where there are no hills or twistys...............like here!

post #5 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Its funny, the ZX14 handles surprisingly well . Yeah its heavey, but, it really turns in well for a barge !
There is something to be said for those great big bike,s it is truely a totally diffrent bike when compared to a smaller sport bike - Funny thing, the liter bikes are coming up on the big bike HP numbers really fast ! If you ever get a chance to ride a new Liter bike, try it out !

post #6 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

cool story thanks!

post #7 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver1 View Post
Them "Big Block Bikes" are fun if you live in an area to enjoy them, where there are no hills or twistys...............like here!
For someone who says they've own a XX ... that statement is very surprising?

The bigger bikes handle extremely well! I've scrapped the lower front right side fairing in a few decent off-camber right handers!

Out of all the "big bikes" the XX is still my favorite. Not the uber-faster anymore, but still more than enough. Extremely reliable. Very mellow and relaxed under 6k on the tach. But, the 7-10k twist has no equal! It also posesses some of the best 2-up curve carving with the proper suspension set-up.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #8 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaStreetfigh View Post
It dynoed 174 to the wheel.
That right there is some tire roasting power. i wonder how well all that power gets to the ground out of the corners... i'm thinking not very well.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
Its funny, the ZX14 handles surprisingly well . Yeah its heavey, but, it really turns in well for a barge !
There is something to be said for those great big bike,s it is truely a totally diffrent bike when compared to a smaller sport bike - Funny thing, the liter bikes are coming up on the big bike HP numbers really fast ! If you ever get a chance to ride a new Liter bike, try it out !
The 1k's ARE very fast but there's no comparison around 180, my blackbird was comfy at them speeds riding with busas and zx's, the 07 RR I just got rid of made 180 just as fast but was nowhere as stable. You can tell the difference in length and the extra 100 lbs, I didn't want to be close to anyone on that bike going them speeds, squirly!

post #10 of 18 Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
For someone who says they've own a XX ... that statement is very surprising?

The bigger bikes handle extremely well! I've scrapped the lower front right side fairing in a few decent off-camber right handers!

Out of all the "big bikes" the XX is still my favorite. Not the uber-faster anymore, but still more than enough. Extremely reliable. Very mellow and relaxed under 6k on the tach. But, the 7-10k twist has no equal! It also posesses some of the best 2-up curve carving with the proper suspension set-up.
And I had a blast with the favorite X-Wife at Deals Gap on mine too, the big bikes are more fun here where there are no hills and corners, thats why Any given sunday at the local West Palm hangout 50% of the bikes down here are busas, assorted zx's, couple xx's, all wide open flat straight roads. If you got less than a new 1k just stay behind out of the way around here or you get runned over by these crazy fools, serious!

post #11 of 18 Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Darn. On my first ride after breaking my leg 4 weeks ago, I had an opportunity to ride an '08 CBR1000 -- and couldn't get my right foot on the peg. And oh brother is that thing small! Makes the 919 look like a Gold Wing.

And just so you know, there have been no fewer than 7 ZX14s crashed up here on the twisties of Malibu in the last 6 months. They might be a wonderful bike and all, but not around here.

On the other hand, I've ridden what could possibly be the ultimate bike for the roads here -- with 176 rear wheel HP at 11,200 rpm and a reasonably wide powerband with no major lumps in it, and an all up weight (with 1/4 tank of fuel on a calibrated scale) of 278.3 pounds. In 1980. A Hindle framed and tuned Yamaha TZ 750. It was at once the easiest to ride and the scariest bike I've ever ridden. "Useful" power started at 5,000 rpm, and from 8,000 to 12,000 it was frighteningly fast -- in fact it would break the rear tire loose at 120 mph, which apparently was the indicator of time to shift into 3rd gear. With modern tires on it keeping the front anywhere near the ground would be a big problem, but I'd be willing to give it a try. Wish I'd bought it when I had the chance.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #12 of 18 Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Tirone

oh i want to feel that power.

the new zx14's are rated @203hp and can do 186kph in 1st gear
who needs that kinda power/speed ?

no one!(on the road)
but man it would be fun

post #13 of 18 Old 07-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

I like riding a full on sport bike once a year or so, just for a couple hours. It's fun to play with the power. But the ride position and discomfort quickly makes me appreciate my bike all over again.

Great story!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-11-2008, 03:12 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

A guy I work with is a horsepower freak. There's a local mechanic here who builds race engines for track bikes. He gets motors shipped into his garage and works them over then ships them back out. My co-worker and him are best friends so he gets the stuff done at cost. He did have a ZX-12 that was awesome, but got rid of it and bought a ZX-14. So far he's put an extended swingarm on it, high comp pistons, changed ignition, automatic/manual (your choice) speed shifter, power commander, flowed the heads and lowered it. He then loaded it up, and like all his previous bikes, took it to some guy in North Carolina who tuned it.

Now the funny part. He's 64 years old and won't drag race it himself. He's got some local guy who runs the thing for him. They're getting ready to race it for the first time in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how it does.

His ZX-12 won the horsepower shootout for it's class at Datona Beach Bikeweek about three years ago. I think it was right at 196 real wheel. No telling what the 14 will crank out. I've ridden the 12. That was one unreal bike. He had a speed shifter on that bike that, once rolling, the starter button became the upshift button. The bike had been blueprinted and balanced. It was quickly obvious you were on something with a race engine.

He's also got a Harley that been completely reworked, and a FJR1300 that's punched up. He loves horsepower.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #15 of 18 Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

busa's amazing? nooo, thats blasphemy

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

^ - For that kind of bike, they are pretty darn good ! Opne your mind and try one out ! Will you sell all of your bike and get one, probally not, but, try it out !

post #17 of 18 Old 07-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

This is my dyno sheet.
My bike was made in 1984, it's older than some of the members here.
It's a 750.
(of course it handles like a '67 Cadillac.......)

post #18 of 18 Old 07-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

Quote:
^ - For that kind of bike, they are pretty darn good ! Opne your mind and try one out ! Will you sell all of your bike and get one, probally not, but, try it out !

nnnnnnnnn NO

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode