Rear wheel reinstallation - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Rear wheel reinstallation

I have the 600 dangling from my basement ceiling awaiting the new tires that are due in on Tues.

My question is really about what to do with the brake caliper when I put the rear wheel back on. I want to get everything back together with out a nick or a scratch. On my other 2 bikes, I take the calipers off the sliding aluminum brake mount. I usually make a 2 step operation out of it. But, on my other 2 bikes, there are 2 bolts, on the 6, there is one bolt and a pin. What to do/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-20-2008, 06:49 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 1

leave it on and just take your time grasshoppa

post #3 of 14 Old 01-21-2008, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Go slow??? That's all you have? Geeze O Pete, don't you 600 owners change your own tires?

If I had someone at home to help, it'd be a lot easier, but I live alone. That, and I want my stuff to look as good as new for as long as I can. It's very easy to scratch a rear wheel. I don't know what they paint those things with, but it sure scratches very easily. There's a lot of bare metal and sharp edges at the back of a swingarm to scratch it. Anybody can change tires. It's getting them changed without a trace of evidence that's tough.

So I did take the caliper off. It's off to the side in an old sock. The brake caliper "bracket" is zip tied in place to the wingarm. Duct tape is here and there for what little protection it will do. The chain is over to the side. Now if I just had tires.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-21-2008, 08:49 AM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I take my caliper off as well since it's just the one bolt. It's enough of a pain in the arse dealing with that bracket alone. It's even harder with the weight of the caliper and the brake line moving things around on you. I usually will sit on a small pail or something directly behind it and use my feet under the wheel to sort of free up my hands enough to deal with all the parts. The 600 and 1000RR's always lose points in Roadracing World's comparo's when it comes to changing the rear wheel.

post #5 of 14 Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

don't think i've ever nicked a tire from the caliper mount bracket. dunno if the '07's are that different. i usually just swear at it a bunch and it slips into place. i do it too much to take the time and remove the caliper

post #6 of 14 Old 01-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMulford View Post
II usually will sit on a small pail or something directly behind it and use my feet under the wheel to sort of free up my hands enough to deal with all the parts.
Yep, use your foot when putting the rear tire on to get the rear brake caliper on. Also take your time, rush it and you will scratch something!

And if a chick can do it, you can do it!

post #7 of 14 Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyChick View Post
Yep, use your foot when putting the rear tire on to get the rear brake caliper on. Also take your time, rush it and you will scratch something!

And if a chick can do it, you can do it!
yeah i do this too. works on the front and rear to give ya a free hand. can even use your toes to move it up and down to get the axle lined up. my biggest problem is getting the spacers flush enough in the bearings to slide in the chain adjusters.

and a chick changing a tire on a bike is one of my wet dreams...

post #8 of 14 Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If swearing at it will help, it's already a done deal. I have a big ol Numrich Arms Gun Parts catalog that will get the rear wheel the right height for everything to line up. That little 6 is so pretty, it's going to piss me off, the first nick I put on it. Just wish I had tires!

post #9 of 14 Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

seriously, use your feet, it will give you a much needed height adjustment for wiggling things into place. i've also found that when getting into a swearing fit, walk away for ten minutes, come back calm and it usually lines up fast, i find myself trying too hard sometimes (esp. when changing the tires themselves)

post #10 of 14 Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Who, me?

Scratched the piss out of my wheel. Next time, pay I'll pay them to do it, and blame them for all the scratches! (probably not, Karma and all)

post #11 of 14 Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko2 View Post
Scratched the piss out of my wheel. Next time, pay I'll pay them to do it, and blame them for all the scratches! (probably not, Karma and all)
I wouldn't pay someone to install my tires, I learned my lesson on this.
They will deny they did it and really don't care they did it.
Personally I would rather beat myself up for scratching crap up on my own bike not some non-caring mechanic.

post #12 of 14 Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

yep and i've seen it happen (working at a shop)

post #13 of 14 Old 01-23-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

OK, tires are back on. Not a mark....this time. And yes, I took my time. Turned to be more useful advice than I thought. my bad

I took the brake caliper off. Ended up taking the pads out in order th get everything back together. Kind of a pain, but it didn't take but 5 minutes, which is probably why "mechanics", and I use that word loosely, don't do it. Just for good measure, I took the chain guard off also. It needed a good cleaning anyways. Same with the hugger.
The bikes are in the basement (walk out door), on carpet, so I just sat on the floor and used my socked feet to lift the wheel into place. I've done that many times.

I would NEVER take my bikes to a shop!!!

post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

good on you dude! sounds like a job well done

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode