R6 and Pilot Road 3s? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

R6 and Pilot Road 3s?

Hey guys.

My mate just bought an R6 and it has around 1000 miles if its lucky on the tires that are on it. He is very in experienced, he is scared of corners and his riding just sucks to be honest. We are trying to teach him but he has no natural ability at all. He passed his 250 license here in Australia and just got his open class somehow. Anyway.

I have Pilot Road 3s on my 919 and i think they would be a great choice for him for dry and wet grip and also durability. He is gonna get them no where near the limits like i do with them on the track. Do you guys think it is a good idea or would you say go Pilot Powers? I doubt he will even take them to the edge....He had trouble scrubbing in his new tires on his 250....

Cheers

Hello, from Perth Western Australia, where our summers get to 116 in town. And 122 out of town!

05 Honda CB919
06 Yamaha WR450F (Sold)
96 Honda XR400R (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

That's scary for your friend, he needs to step down a bike and have FUN, before he'll start learning.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
That's scary for your friend, he needs to step down a bike and have FUN, before he'll start learning.
100% agreed....

Do me a favor n get him on a honda VTR250 .... i would LOVE to ride one of those cool lil bikes.

But at the topic at hand.

going from the OEM tires on my 919 to a set of Road 2's was the most confidence inspiring change i have EVER DONE on my street riding. road 3's will be even better.

And honestly from the sounds of it he wont EVER come close to the limits of the road 3's on the street...

post #4 of 15 Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yeah i know its scary. His a very blase guy. He was going to get a 1000 and we have told him and told him and his got a 600 now. He also has a CBR250, we told him to keep it and learn how to ride before he steps up but he wont listen. He scares us to hell. I cant handle riding with him it drives me insane. Just afraid im gonna get a phone call one day that his either dead or has pranged bad. He also wants to do a track day :S . I just dont know what to do with the guy anymore.

Hello, from Perth Western Australia, where our summers get to 116 in town. And 122 out of town!

05 Honda CB919
06 Yamaha WR450F (Sold)
96 Honda XR400R (Sold)
post #5 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 09:00 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Show him a bunch of motorcycle accident videos. Particularly rear end slips followed by high sides with view of the rpm gauge. Then show him at the end how a 250 can be ringed out and it doesn't step out.

Pilots roads will be fine.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #6 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennO87 View Post
Yeah i know its scary. His a very blase guy. He was going to get a 1000 and we have told him and told him and his got a 600 now. He also has a CBR250, we told him to keep it and learn how to ride before he steps up but he wont listen. He scares us to hell. I cant handle riding with him it drives me insane. Just afraid im gonna get a phone call one day that his either dead or has pranged bad. He also wants to do a track day :S . I just dont know what to do with the guy anymore.
If you think that getting a phone call concerning a crash is upsetting, imagine how it will feel having to make the phone call to his loved one/s when he gets injured or worse when he is out with you.

Good advice to have him step down and get with the basics of two wheel operation.

Qualifying for a motorcycle endorsement just means that you have met minimum standards on a specific day with a specific examiner. We must all be "eternal students" of the game.

Good luck.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #7 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 11

My advise is to get to the track day ASAP. Borrow his 250 and whup his ass on it. Sometimes the "I told you so" angle does not work. Sometimes people need to see for themselves and learn some respect for the bike.

Edit - and PR3's will be an excellent choice tire. Plenty of grip in both dry and wet.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Former 919er

Scary. Very scary. If he is insisting on riding the R6, I would suggest that the gripper tires would be a good choice, like Pilot Power's or something. Even though his abilities are nowhere near capable of exceeding the capabilities of Road 3's for normal riding, in a panic situation the extra grip might save his ass.

Good luck to him and don't give up trying to reason with him.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Discen

Track time is a great idea.....without learning some respect for the bike, hes a bit of a rolling hazard.

Put him on a track so he can begin to learn.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDonnern View Post
Track time is a great idea.....without learning some respect for the bike, hes a bit of a rolling hazard.

Put him on a track so he can begin to learn.
And crash in a safe place.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I was just thinking that... There's an ambulance on stand-by.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #12 of 15 Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
And crash in a safe place.
+1, if you can't talk any sense into him, this may be the best alternative...

post #13 of 15 Old 08-09-2013, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the support. Its really frustarting. Just going around normal corners you look back and his way back. He is to scared to red line his R6 yet. He scares me. Hopefully he will get some shock into him. Im trying to convince him to go to an advanced safety ride day thing when they teach you about braking and safety and so on...

05 Honda CB919
06 Yamaha WR450F (Sold)
96 Honda XR400R (Sold)
post #14 of 15 Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Left of Centre

If he can't get it around corners, mate, it's a good job he's not going near the redline...

The safety course sounds like a great idea...especially if he can confront the amount of learning he needs to do without having to act staunch in front of his mates.

post #15 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

He is pretty good with it all. He knows his not very good and rides to his comfort level. But still scary...

05 Honda CB919
06 Yamaha WR450F (Sold)
96 Honda XR400R (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode