New to me 2001 Redbird - Wrist Twisters
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Sckill

post #1 of 12 Old 09-14-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

New to me 2001 Redbird

I came across a local barn find that I couldn't pass up: a 2001 Honda "Redbird" with only 8.4K miles on the clock. The previous owner I bought it from had 2 blackbirds and intended to store this one away for the future, but had too many other project motorcycles and planes going on to ever ride this one.

The bike came with a battery tender, but otherwise is completely stock. This has been garage kept and the paint is beautiful condition. There are some small scratches from a previous tip over, but otherwise the bike looks almost new.

I've been wanting to get another sportbike to replace my stolen 2007 CBR600RR and I've been on the lookout for a blackbird for a while. This will be my 5th Honda and 7th motorcycle overall.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

That thing looks pristine! A local buddy has one with "Couch" for the license plate. He still long hauls the bike and loves it. Enjoy.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 12 Old 09-15-2017, 02:49 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Congrats man! Nice looking bird!

post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Moto-Doc

Garage
Beautiful bike! I love the color. I have been looking for one of those for a long time! I am really REALLY jealous!

2006 Honda 919 TURBO
2005 Honda 919
2014 Honda CB1000R
2005 Ducati Monster S4R
2000 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1997 Suzuki DS350SE -Sold
2002 Honda 750 Shadow ACE -Sold
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R -Sold
2003 Honda CBR954RR (Drag Bike) -Sold
2002 Honda CBR954RR -Sold
1992 Honda 750 Nighthawk -Sold
1972 Honda CB350 -Sold
post #5 of 12 Old 09-15-2017, 08:24 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

That's awesome!

post #6 of 12 Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

NICE

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #7 of 12 Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Centurion

Great find!

post #8 of 12 Old 09-16-2017, 04:18 AM
Tesserarius

There probably aren't many of those things left, in that condition. That motorcycle looks like it never left the showroom. Leave it that way. Unmolested/unmodded (not fucked-up, by some "genius" with a six pack of beer that knew better than a team of educated, trained professionals) sport bikes are a rare find. You have a treasure.

post #9 of 12 Old 09-16-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
There probably aren't many of those things left, in that condition. That motorcycle looks like it never left the showroom. Leave it that way. Unmolested/unmodded (not fucked-up, by some "genius" with a six pack of beer that knew better than a team of educated, trained professionals) sport bikes are a rare find. You have a treasure.
Too late. I have some mods planned, but I wouldn't categorize them as molesting the bike. 6th gen VFR800 OEM bars on the way which are a direct fit and give a little more lift. I have no idea how old the brake / clutch line fluid is so I'm changing that out and while I'm at it, installing a full stainless steel line set. Also a givi tanklock ring so that I can use my Givi tankbag. Undecided on if I'm going to get a luggage system on the back for longer rides, but planning to keep the rest of the bike as is.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #10 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 01:09 AM
Tesserarius

Brake lines aren't bad..... that thing has linked brakes, l think. If so get out your money...... put black lines back on, so they at least look OEM.

Tank bags never made any sence to me. I know a lot of guys use them, but how are you supposed to lean over/ duck down with that thing in the way? Touring, just doesn't look like any fun. Endless straight line miles, flat profile tires.... yuck! To each his own.

That's a cool old bike, tho. I'd love to ride one some time, because l never have. I've ridden a friend's 1100 Ninja. That wasn't bad. The 1200 Ninja was a bull ox. You wouldn't think there would be much difference.....

I was on my 929, one day, and caught up to a guy on a Blackbird. Once he saw l was back there, he tried to make a run for it. The road was too curvy, he soon gave up and waved me by.

One of the previous owners put taller clip-ons on my Interceptor. I wish they hadn't.

post #11 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 05:06 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 21

Aces!!!!!!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #12 of 12 Old 09-17-2017, 07:35 AM
Optio

Garage
Man. That is a beautiful bike. Seeing this and one for sale locally with uber low miles is making me want to list the 919 for sale. While I love it, I am ready for a new challenge and having a fairing would be nice. I never track it and most my rides are 60mph+ to and from work. I have done all the mods I want and now want something new LOL.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode