Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

My first breakdown. Yay.

4K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  ragdoll 
#1 ·
My bike, not my brain... that sucker is solid. :blink:

So I leave work and rail through the curvies out to the main road, pretending I'm in MotoGP. No problems. I get out to the interstate and get up to around 80mph. Cruise along for a few minutes and in the blink of an eye my bike looses it's metal/plastic form and morphs into bone and muscle in the shape of a bull that just got one of those rubber band thingys 'fwapped' onto his nutsack.

So I yank in the clutch and pull over to let everyone past me at 80-90 whilst their car mirrors shake hands with my elbow. When I yank the clutch in it goes to idle, for a few seconds, and then quits. So I start it back up and let my bike buck me up the next ramp.

Some dude on a sweet sounding Honda Valkyrie pulls up and asked if I ok. No, no I'm not ok, sweet sounding Honda Valkyrie rider man. He was nice. Offered to follow me home, I declined because feel guilty taking charity from anyone except my mom and you guys(please see my thread on Money in the Wanted forum). So we stand around and comment on how it's hot out and how it would suck if someone got stranded 15 miles from anything with a none perforated jacket and a fat backpack on. He stood there as I tried riding it up the road and back. Fire it up fine, flip her in gear start going and it takes me to about 8 mph before it enters me into a rodeo. So I thank him for stopping and bid him farewell. (Exit sweet sounding bikey)

So then my next move is to call Dadogs while he's on vacation on Cape Cod or some stupid thing where they're devoid of internet access and tell him to fix it. So he's on the phone for the rest of this while I poke and prod my bike hither and yon.

Ok, put on your spectacles, thinking caps, wizard hats, and any other headdress aparatus that signifies that you're going to try helping me out on this one because we all know YOU OWE ME.

The bike idles A-OK. I rev it up quick to 10k. No hiccup or fart(not from the bike atleast). Sloooowly rev the bike up to 7k-8k, same thing. So I...DUDE! A chipmunk just frickin ran across my garage and across my shoe in some sort of Kung Fu action! That was awesome! So I rev it up to around 5k and hold it for 4-5 seconds, yada yada, I did lots of stuff while the bike sat still and it all did what it should. So Mark couldn't reach through the phone and fix my bike.

So next step is to get the stupid hunk of metal/plastic/bone/muscle contraption home.

So I fire it back up get out on a side road and first thing I try is FULL THROTTLE, that fixed everything, right? Negative, made it roughly 78.354 times worse. So I back off completely and the bike quits. Fire it up, and get on the throttle as gentle and humanly possible. NO issue, no bone/flesh bull manifestations of any sort are poking their horns into the situation. So ok, I stay steady and light on the throttle, get up to around 62 and call it fast enough. Things are great for another 7 or 8 milliseconds and then, check this happy horse **** out, I hit a bump and the thing bucks like JohnnyB when it's Motohead's turn to wear the cowboy hat. Interesting. So I ride a little more and when I see a Bump of Significance coming up I pull in the clutch and hit it dead on... bike quits!? Started it back up, next BoS comes up, whammo! didn't quit... ok so it's not that consistent but I tried this 'trick' a few more times and it seemed to be quitting over bumps. I then took note that whilst riding down this crappy road and smooth as could be, the bike would buck only when I hit a little bump in the road. It didn't take much for it to cause the buckness, either. End of story.

So I'm thinking, it has to be a short of some kind. Just not sure where to start. Oh wait, yeah I do, PCIIIr... I hope it came half unplugged or something.

I'd tell you more about but a) You're probably sick of reading already b) I've spent all my time typing this message and haven't looked at it yet.

Fire away. I'll keep my computer next to me and the bike as I check out the Power Commander. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

See less See more
#6 ·
So in the following picture you'll see a big hunk of metal sheeting. I put that there one... year, I don't know when, and forgot about it. It went under the drivers seat and has been gnawing away at the wires since.

The main pack of wires actually are fine. That little black one on the right, not so good. I actually have no idea what it does since I saw it and then immediately took a picture so I could waste more of your time with this.

So... I could cut and strip the wire and then solder it back together and then wrap it up nice. Does anyone have a better way of fixing it?

Spoiler:

#7 ·
Hey, I figured out what that little wire does. It lets the bike turn on and run. Hmm. That sucker should have carbon fiber wrapped around it with frickin laser beams protecting it.

I could fix this easy but I'll see if anyone has a better solution for the mending of the wire. It's been 8-9 years since Electronic 101 and there may be a better procedure?

#22 ·
Eletric tape does nothing to protect from corrosion,soldering makes it solid but seal it with shrink tubing.Better yet reconnect it with a shrink type connector(rinky dink) and put that in some shrink tube.Oh btw shrink tubing might be rough as it needs to be put on before the connections are made (doesn't look like a lot of room to work in).

On another note: any fix is a good fix to get home or to work!

#13 ·
Bank angle sensor going poopoo on you, perhaps? :detective:

Are we still in the listing stages of what it can be? :001_tt2:

#23 ·
Or... check for them Bank Angle Sensors. Laugh if you want but you'll see later how right I am.

#31 ·
Ahh ok, glad you fix it... was it the Bank Angle sensor? :smartass:

#33 ·
The sheet metal was something I found once and though it may be the answer to my bike constantly falling over in blacktop parking lots. But since I just happened to find it and didn't plan on putting it in there, I guess I forgot about it.

All I had to do to fix this was to mend and solder the wire back together and then rewrap it.

#35 ·
See Rags, I knew my Jedi mind powers would get the job done for you!:ninja: Now if I could just get them to add some good WiFi hotspots on Cape Cod:hammer:

Now go get that tank bag I told you about and stick your shiny metal pieces in it so that you don't destroy anything else on your bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.