Long rides on supersports? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Long rides on supersports?

Does anyone have tips for riding longish distances on Sport bikes? I'm in the market for a new zx6r, but I'm a little nervous about comfort on long/medium distance rides (especially coming from dirt bikes &#128556. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb271 View Post
Does anyone have tips for riding longish distances on Sport bikes? I'm in the market for a new zx6r, but I'm a little nervous about comfort on long/medium distance rides (especially coming from dirt bikes &#128556. Thanks!
As you should be. The sportbike rider position is intended to be aerodynamic on a track - not comfortable long distances. I'm sure I'm opening a can of worms here but how many sportbikes do you see in the Iron Butt Rally? IMHO feet under you to help absorb shock, upright relaxed back position and grips a little farther apart and straight in front of you (more like a dirt bike) is much easier on muscles and joints whether on 30 mile daily commutes, 300 mile day trips or 3,000 mile adventures. That tucked-in forward rider position belongs on the track.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 06:39 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Ken brings up good points. However, if you are set on a supersport, you can always adjust the rider triangle to bring it to a reasonable compromise between sport & comfort.

Handlebars can be installed although that will cost some $$$, Heli Bars are popular options or you can install Convertibars which are pretty good too.

For the seat, there are many options but the most popular are Corbin & Sargent.

For the foot pegs, you can retrofit some Buell pegs or get Cycle Pirates 360 pegs that allow you to adjust however you want.

I have been down this road so I know how you feel. But note that it will take some effort to make a sports bike relatively comfy. Of course, now if you are 150 lb & are 90% muscle you can probably ride anything for any length of time.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

It really depends on your physical fitness and dimensions, but it can be done. Spend some full day rights on the bike and figure out what annoys you or makes you feel uncomfortable. Seats, clip ons, footpegs, and windshields are all replaceable to something that works better for you. I'm a shorter guy at 5'6" though so I fit better on a sportbike.

I rode cross country from NY to CA and back for 4 weeks on an 07 CBR600RR with a double bubble windscreen and corbin seat for comfort mods. There's another member here who has over 300K miles on his CBR f4i. Yes, these bikes put you in a forward lean, but you need to learn to use your core muscles to take the weight off your hands and arms.

I took rest breaks every 100-120 miles to get gas. A couple of minutes off the bike to stretch out and I would be good for the next leg of the trip. It can be done.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Philanthropist

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I have done it a lot. I was in the 20-23 age range and stationed in California but grew up in Seattle. Almost an exact 1,000 miles door to door.

Even when I was young it just was do-able but exhausting. My runs we're on an R6 or a CBR 900rr.

post #6 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Tirone

Bar risers, Corbin seat and if need be, lower pegs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #7 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Discen

I have done some couple hundred mile trips on a cbr600 and i honestly thought it was more comfortable than the 919. With my feet being up so high and the flex at my knee it almost naturally splits the weight between my butt and quads. When my core starts feeling fatigued i basically lay on the tank to rest. I am 5'11' 165 and in pretty good physical shape though.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 

I know many look for any chance to slam on buell's and here's where I can agree, the hard rubber gripper seat is great for bringin the torque out to play but F'ing BLOWS for more than about 50 miles

"Look for a good seat!!!

I've changed the riding postion as much as I could installing ATV bars for a higher wider arm postion which helped a ton, wide higher mount mirrors so ur not jumping around on the bike to see if soccer mom is gonna grease you, my buddy has tiny underslung mirrors on his XB that I couldn't see shit out of now matter what position I was in

Next killer for me is leg position, even though the XB has a decent position it's NOT ENOUGH!!! And it's way less extreme than any sportbike, it's at the 75-100 miles mark when my knees start knotting up then comes the hamstring cramps from the combo of a shitty seat and non adjustable rearsets

There's my .02 for what it's worth...

:buell:
post #9 of 10 Old 02-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Chicken Strips

Garage
Higher bars better seat or one of those air hawk seat cushions. Get adjustable footpegs to tailor the fit

07' 919 - In Progress

Dan
post #10 of 10 Old 02-22-2015, 04:30 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Sometimes on long runs and if I'm running a tank bag, intentionally packed with just the right amount of stuff that's just the right softness/firmness, I'll lay down on it a little with feet on the rear pegs for maximum deviation from "normal" riding position. That seems to help the dreaded hamstring cramp. Or even standing straight up on the pegs if road conditions and speed allow. When I get a sharp stabbing pain near the shoulder blades, I'll very slowly lean as far forward as possible then as far back as possible and do that 10 or 20 times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode