I just rode a Hayabusa! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 21 Old 07-10-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

I just rode a Hayabusa!

I thought is was 99% settled on looking for a 2008 GSXR 1000 as a weekend bike, but a friend that is selling his Hayabusa said I should take his bike out for a spin anyway. I thought why not lets see what this Busa fuss is all about. Its a absolutely stunning bike in white, mint condition, Yoshi pipes, etc. 9300km's and he is selling it at reasonable market value. The bike really surprised me as a very nice bike to ride, not the monster its made out to be. You don't have to go at 300km/h to enjoy this bike. Really smooth power (loads of it obviously). This as really thrown me for a loop and has me wondering if I should get rid of the H9 and give this Busa a go for an all rounder bike. (I commute 50 od km's everyday in mostly heavy-ish traffic) It will obviously be excellent for 2 up, weekend, etc.

Any thougts, anyone else that's had some seat time in a new generation Busa?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Pilus Posterior

Heavy, though it is hidden once rolling. And an acquired taste looks wise. Also look at the B-King, but ensure it has aftermarket pipes (improves the looks immensely) same donk just seem to be more 'fun' - probably due to the nakedness. Again acquired taste looks wise. You should still find good deals on the B-King in NZ new with Yoshi pipes around $15k NZ.

Personally I have to wonder why anyone needs that much power in NZ - seriously you'll never use it.

Other considerations - big bore Aprilia v-twins. Good prices for late model used ones.

Similar bucks a new XR Sporster, probably the most fun you could have on a Harley - somewhat less power than a Bussa though!

New Z1000 Kawasaki - other than the weird pipes a super kit - drawbacks are they are not passenger friendly!

A late model sports bike GSXR etc but get a new top triple and fit some fatbars! HELL yeah!

post #3 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Discen

Well I can't comment on the Busa as I've never driven one, but as far as the GSXR 1000 they are awesome!, I have an 05 and the bike still amuses me every time I ride it, it's less weight then the busa and is more then enough power for any smart rider.

I've bought brackets to lower and move back the pegs 1 inch and it's fairly comfortable now, I also shaved the seat abit. With some helibars on it the bike would be great on the street, but I like it the way it is

04 Honda 919
00 Honda Shadow ACE

post #4 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 06:07 AM
h8tenhogs

i rode my friends busa.i thought that it seemedglitchy in the front end ...as it could have been just his bike.i was not impressed.i do agree the weight does seem to hide itself when rolling but good luck getting it through the corners with any amount of giddy little boy fun.it just seems to be a flat spotter.hundreds of pounds of no cornering fun.they seem to me at least where i live that they are a dime a dozen like the harleys.honestly where do you need all that power....just my thoughts. and a couple of hundred pounds extra of speed

post #5 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

HA!!!!!
You've been bitten my friend by the PHAT power bug. That's right.....you don't have to be doing 300 kliks to have fun, but you can! Ahhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Question: "Would Bigdaa do a ZX14 or a Busa if he had a bit of spare yingum"

Answer: "In a New York Minute!"

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #6 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
smileage

I've known people that use them for their daily rider, and they love them.

Great machines, like most motorcycles, not for everybody.

Incredible aftermarket support, tons of accessories -

I say go for it, but go with what your heart and gut tell you.

Worst case, you can always sell it and move on to something else -

And you'll forever to able to say you actually owned a 'Busa

post #7 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

AllanB:

I have done some research, the B-King seems to be a gas guzzler and the Busa funny enough, quite economical, even in city commuting (16km/L) if the sites I got this from are accurate (owner reviews).

Agreed, much more power than you practically need, but then again, motorcycling (for most of us), isn't a 100% practical past time.
Sure we commute, because its more practical, faster in traffic, no problems parking, etc., but even so, there's a element of fun about it. If it was a 100% practical consideration, we'd all be riding around on 250's

Epicsoldier

As I said, I basically had my mind made up on a 2008 GSXR 1000, as I would like to experience a 1L sports bike and something that's excellent at canyon carving. This Busa has thrown a cat amongst the pigeons so to speak (I know, chalk and cheese and all that).

Dukeriley:

It did feel a little weird cornering, I put that down to me being used to naked bikes only. I agree that it couldn't keep up with a lot of bikes in the corners, all else being equal.

Bigdaa:

These bikes are awesome. The truck loads of torque makes it a pleasere to ride. Very smooth, but still exiting.

FJ1200:

They do seem to have a bit of an idiot owner stigma about them, which is unfortunate. You know, the type of vehicle knuckle heads would buy (be it car or bike) after they have seen it in a magazine, heard about it, just because its the fastest, most powerfull, etc., regardless of their experience or needs.

post #8 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Gets censored

I had one 1st gen, great bike awesome all arounder. 2 reasons i sold it.

1) people say the weight goes away once its rolling... BS throw that bus in a corner a little fast and youre gonna shit yourself. The corner feeling of it made me start to think about getting on a different bike. I enjoy tossing my bikes around a little from time to time. In a straight line it was a awesome ride!!! And cruisin down to slab was OK for what it was but it just never felt right trying to throw it in a corner, different rider may have loved it but I swear I had more fun on my cbr600 just flat out fun.

2) I wont lie, it scared me one good time. I was haulin ass down this road top of 3rd however fast that was certainly breaking triple digits. Everything going good till I hit a very slight angle in the road meant for rain run off, very slight. Putting all that power out back combined with the little bit of angle next thing I know I'm painting the sky. I'm dead serious when I say I had enough time to clutch it just before it went over more than likely would have died. Thats when I decided my balls were bigger than my brain and I never knew it till then, I don't think alot us guys relize how stupid we are.

Theres my busa right up, fun times. The idiot stigma comes from a good 85% of people that buy em that have no business on em just want the image.

post #9 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 03:09 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Farab, I'm behind ya all the way on your choice. Fer sher, fer sher, fer sher. Either way, you are going to have a blast. No matter what you ride you have to do things the way the bike likes it or you are going to have issues that require tissues. That's a point to remember. Both of those bikes have got power in spades. After riding my ZX10R for 45 or 46 thousand miles, I could dig something with equal or so power, more torque and an upright(er) riding position. My wrists and elbows could use some TLC.

General George S. Patton
post #10 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Gets censored

is uprighter a word?

post #11 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
is uprighter a word?

It is now(Ithink)....

post #12 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
h8tenhogs

uprighter. thats how the busa goes through corners hahaha

post #13 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeriley View Post
uprighter. thats how the busa goes through corners hahaha
now that's funny

post #14 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 08:57 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Haybuster, too much weight. Too much power for me. Too dominating. I like the littler less powerful bikes that I can thrash and live to tell about it. My personal HP limit is 115. I like the feel of the throttle stop especially when the tac needle is at the red line.

Everybody's different. If it makes you happy, that's cool with me.

post #15 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
AllanB:
If it was a 100% practical consideration, we'd all be riding around on 250's
Nah - 250's suck arse!

80hp is a good starting point - and it p's me off that Triumph won't produce a Bonnie that touches that.

Weird re fuel consumption on the Bussa/B-King.

A big bore Kawa is a option, but then you may as well get the Bussa and the hard-out rep they have in NZ.

Of interest to our global couzins in New Zealand the Bussa has a positive, big respect reputation (I'm pretty sure that owning one can add a full inch to the size of your penis too!).

The rep down here is probably due to Kiwis actually riding them and not blinging them out and extending the swingarms etc ......

post #16 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Bling............achhhhhhhh brrrrrrrrrrrip...blowwwwwwwwwwwwwww chunk

General George S. Patton
post #17 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Nah - 250's suck arse!

80hp is a good starting point - and it p's me off that Triumph won't produce a Bonnie that touches that.

Weird re fuel consumption on the Bussa/B-King.

A big bore Kawa is a option, but then you may as well get the Bussa and the hard-out rep they have in NZ.

Of interest to our global couzins in New Zealand the Bussa has a positive, big respect reputation (I'm pretty sure that owning one can add a full inch to the size of your penis too!).

The rep down here is probably due to Kiwis actually riding them and not blinging them out and extending the swingarms etc ......
I can go along with that. Most times when I see a Busa around here, its being used as a bike, not a show piece. I see it being used as a commuter(!), but mostly a weekend bike, also seems a popular choice for couples that like 2up riding. But there still is an unfortunate idiot stigma I reckon that goes along with it. You know, the typical 30-40 something berk in sales with shiny jet black hair tied in a pony tail with a little goatee to match. Its the same bastard that gave the BMW 3 series the bad rep as a twat-mobile, despite being excellent vehicles.
It seems a popular choice with our Australian cousins as well, due to the vast distances they ride. Just a pity about their rediculously low speed limits (especially on their interstates) and the Nazi like policing of said limits.

About the B-king being more thirstier, I have heard that from my friend that is selling the Busa, as he owns a B-King as well, although I confirmed it with a few quick searches via the net. Most probably due to the different engine mapping, different cams possibly, etc., etc., even aerodynamics could play a small role.

post #18 of 21 Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 AM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

Any Beemer dealers near you ? Test ride a K 1300 S. Stable ,FAST when you want to be, relatively straighter seating position , isn't going to carve turns like a 1000 RR but still has the bal$$ to run most bikes down. The only down side is taking all the Starbuck jokes !!
Good luck with your quest.......So many bikes.....So little time......M

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #19 of 21 Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Tirone

I had a chance to ride my friend's 2008 gen2 hayabusa recently. I had to admit I was taken in by the bike.

It was heavy, I'm not a big guy and I noticed it in all things, slow speed maneuverability, moving it around the driveway and getting it leaned into turns. It was more leaned over than I would have liked as-stock, however, ergonomically I otherwise liked the layout real well. Its a peach to ride around slowly. The engine I noticed felt a little coarse, a little vibey and ragged. I liked the clutch feel, the EFI throttle was nice and smooth, the brakes worked nicely. It turned in a way that I perceived as slow, you could say willful, I had to sort of muscle the bike where I wanted it, both getting into a corner and getting the bike back upright required a little advanced input. She was a peach to ride though, just a sweet sweet bike. Good wind protection, built in seat heater in the form of a massive, massive engine.

Oh, and it was fast as BALLS. I could easily and happily see myself on one after the 919 has run its course with me.

post #20 of 21 Old 08-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Optio

Between a 1000 and a busa I say busa. I have never riden one but knowing what I know about using a 1000 as a comuter I say there is no replacement for displacement.

Either way you have about the same power. The difference is that the busa has more usable power. Especially while comuting. Its more stable in a straight line. If you really like hitting the corners then maybe go with the 1000. But a set of stiffer springs/damping will make the busa plenty good enough around corners for an all rounder bike if it isn't already up to your expectations as is.

I for one wouldn't complain if my CBR1000 sudenly changed into a ZX14. At least I think, I'd have to ride a 14 to be sure.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #21 of 21 Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Show + go

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

You really should of taken mine out for a spin when we were in Indy. I have rode the Busa and the TLR. Both fun as can be, but I can't say I would trade it. Even the newer Gixxer 1000. Rode a 2007. Liked it all right, but it seemed like the power was a lot higher in the rpm's. And the big difference was the seating position. I prefer mine. Just my 2 cents. If you ever by this way, stop by and give her a spin.

When the green flag drops, the bullsh!t stops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode