Frozen Rear Preload Adjuster - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
Frozen Rear Preload Adjuster

I've got a question for all you suspension geeks out there...

Last year I picked up a new 2010 VFR1200 from a dealer. The dealer mentioned something about a demo discount and I didn't think anything of it. It now sounds like I purchased a new VFR1200 with only 10 miles on the clock that was already out of factory warrantee.... Awesome.

The other day I was out in the garage tinkering with the rear preload adjuster as I've never had a bike that had such easy access to this adjustment. As most of you know, the 9er requires special tool to adjust the preload and that was my only adjustment. When I tried to turn the preload adjuster on my new VFR, it was very difficult to move, I didn't want to force it, so I just left it.

So I've got 2 questions...

First, how hard should it be to turn the preload adjuster knob? Should I be able to turn it with a couple fingers or do I need to get a good grip on it and really crank on it? The later doesn't seem likely, but as I mentioned, I've never had this luxury.

My 2nd question is this: Does anyone what may cause the adjuster to lock up? Is it the knob itself seizing up or is it something in the shock that isn't moving?

I've got all of 350 miles on the bike, but is it something I should keep lubed during my routine maintenance?

Worst case scenario is that I have to shell out the cash for a new shock/preload adjuster out of my own pocket. If it comes down to that, I'd like to figure out how to prevent this in the future.

[This space for rent]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
The Cripple

A quick search came up with this: A word of warning: the VFR1200's rear preload adjuster

Sounds like a somewhat common problem for the VFR1200? Sorry I don't know anything about it other than what I found.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
just send it.

Garage
I've looked around and it doesn't seem too uncommon. I'm under the assumption that in general the internal mechanics of a shock is the same. I'm HOPING that someone here with a better understanding on how adjusting the preload manipulates the shock would have an idea of the failure modes or weak points.

I understand that this is no Ohlins shock but maybe someone has run across this (or something similar) on another bike/shock.

[This space for rent]

post #4 of 5 Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Nineophile Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
First, how hard should it be to turn the preload adjuster knob? Should I be able to turn it with a couple fingers or do I need to get a good grip on it and really crank on it?
It should be fairly easy to turn. I have a 2008 which has the same adjustment wheel and it is fairly easy to turn. I have also test ridden a used 2010, and knowing that these can be common failures, I spun it and it felt just like my '08. I am not aware of a lubrication schedule for the knob, but I spin my in each direction each time I ride.

I am guessing that it has been cranked all the way loose or hard. Here is the adjustment page for my '08, I assume yours works the same way. I would look for the markings on the side of the knob to determine which direction to move it, and then see if you can't free it.

Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 40 years!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Nineophile Retired

I was just fiddling with mine and there isn't much to it. Looks to be nothing more than a pressure regulator. Looking at the shock removal procedure in the service manual, it notes "be careful not to loose the spring and ball bearing" when removing the knob from the preload adjuster. I think I'd start there, maybe the ball bearing is gone and the spring is locking up the handle. I'd try removing the center screw and slowly/carefully pull off the knob, making sure not to loose the spring and bearing if in fact they are both there.

Here is a schematic of the parts list to give you a better look at it...
Honda Motorcycle Parts 2010 VFR1200F AC REAR SHOCK ABSORBER Diagram

Putting the fun in dysfunctional for over 40 years!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode