Best 2002 Honda CB919 Slip-ons? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Best 2002 Honda CB919 Slip-ons?

I bought an 02 cb919 last summer and it had the 98 cbr900rr system on it. I loved the sound, but didn't really like the tacked on look of it, so I put the stock system back on. I've been looking at some slip-ons but don't know what's best for the price. I know someone who has sankei but I'm not sure how they sound and I don't want to spend $530 for yoshi's. Akrapovic's are around $1200. I don't want brutally loud, I just want a deep smooth tone that's a little louder than stock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (Pair valves are removed)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 06:34 AM
PB

Has the stock exhaust been debaffled? If not, start with the Bafflectomy (Search around here, lots have done it). It's free and something you can try out before replacing the exhaust.

post #3 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I haven't done that yet. I'll look further into it. I just don't really like the idea of cutting into the exist haha.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 AM
Optio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed VanDyke View Post
I haven't done that yet. I'll look further into it. I just don't really like the idea of cutting into the exist haha.
Same here. My solution was to pick up a spare stock exhaust. Then, drilling into the existing ceased to be an issue. Removing the baffles is a good option. Other option that is not too pricey is Dan Moto. They are loud, but, you can get baffles with them to temper the sound.

That said, what can were you running on the CBR900RR setup?

post #5 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

That's a really good idea. I actually have no idea what can it was. The previous owner cut the can to shorten it and the end cap just said "COMPETITION USE ONLY" on it. It wasn't super loud. Just smooth and low. I kinda wish I wouldn't have sold it.....

post #6 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 08:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
That's a really good idea. I actually have no idea what can it was. The previous owner cut the can to shorten it and the end cap just said "COMPETITION USE ONLY" on it. It wasn't super loud. Just smooth and low. I kinda wish I wouldn't have sold it.....
Most aftermarket cans are marked "race only" due to the additional noise level. EPA regulations keep bikes quiet. Once you step around that, they can no longer mark the pipes as DOT compliant and likely are putting "competition only" to save legal bullsniggle.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #7 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

That makes sense. There's nothing else on it. No brand name or anything.

post #8 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 09:39 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Debaffle on the stock exhaust is really easy, but it is permanent. I haven't checked on the exhaust smell lately to see if there has been any other remedies, but making sure that aftermarket pipes extend a little past the taillight helped pull the exhaust away from the bike. As far as price, find the type you want and shop around. The UK websites might have more options still, but then you get into overseas shipping costs.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #9 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I've been thinking about this too, since I got my tax return and have money for some poor decisions now Anyone used the Mivv X-cones? I think i like the look of them better than the Yoshimura or D&D cans for the price range.

post #10 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'll watch some stuff on debaffling and see how it sounds and looks. With my old 900rr set up it didn't stink....at least that I noticed. Now with the stock system when my girlfriend rides on the back her hair gets really stinky.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I've been looking at those Mivv cones, I still can't get used to the look. Maybe if I got them blacked out, but.....just doesn't look right to me.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #12 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Tesserarius

you mean these?

(that's someone's bike on wristwister btw, stolen from google image search).

those are my favorite undertail look. I would either want these or the 900rr header.

i'm considering some poor decisions also... i've been sorta bored with the bike lately, and i think the lack of snarl coming from it is part of that reason. i think the sound of the bike can make a big difference on the grin factor.

post #13 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 12:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here's mine prepped for a track day some time ago.

Without the DB killers, she has an aggressive bark. With the DB killer it's only slightly louder than stock if memory serves me correctly. I'm going to be putting my killers back in soon and can report back.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #14 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Nice. I'm not looking for anything a *lot* louder, I think I'd just get annoyed on my commute, but I do like the look of the slimmer pipes and the idea of a little bit of a deeper sound. Did you have to fiddle with a power commander or anything after you put those on?

post #15 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 02:09 PM
Tirone

Try Delkevic. No middleman straight from the manufacturer so the price is better. Check out their website.
I'm going to do the 900 RR header swap next week and give their DS 70 a try.

post #16 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 03:53 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpydog View Post
Nice. I'm not looking for anything a *lot* louder, I think I'd just get annoyed on my commute, but I do like the look of the slimmer pipes and the idea of a little bit of a deeper sound. Did you have to fiddle with a power commander or anything after you put those on?
Negative, she runs as rich as ever

post #17 of 17 Old 04-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
I'll watch some stuff on debaffling and see how it sounds and looks. With my old 900rr set up it didn't stink....at least that I noticed. Now with the stock system when my girlfriend rides on the back her hair gets really stinky.
The 900RR system is far and away the best solution for exhaust smell. And IMO the look is ok with a reasonable can.
But the exhaust smell is not always a problem. Some folks don't even notice it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode