An rc in my garage! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
'02-919

An rc in my garage!

So my almost bestest buddy bought an RC-51 this year and he's in the military with no place to keep it....yadda yadda yadda.
He's bringing it to my house for the winter (he'll be out of town for a while) in two weeks. After I ride the crap out of it for a while I'm gonna do him a favor and work on it a bit. The bike has been put down twice that we are aware of by the previous owner. It was owned by someone else before that. When the bike runs, it runs like a champ. Sometimes it wont start because of the crappy wiring job done by somebody putting the undertail tray on and the gas tank is leaking somewhere, I dont know from where specifically yet but it smells.
It just really is time for some TLC. Since I only have a 919, I'll be popping in from time to time to ask some dummy questions if I can't find what I'm looking for in the search function. Wish me luck fellas! I'll post a few pics of my progress, which I am sure will be slow but sure.

AAAHHHHH. Excess. The spice of life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Twisted Wrister

Black or blue oil filter?

post #3 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Does it overheat?

How do you get both headlights on with low beam?

Ha... oh Motorush... you and your stupidness.

I just came to this thread to make sure EVAD didnt sell my RC51 that is in his garage.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #4 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 02:41 PM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 

When the RC51 first came out, the local dealer let me take one out for a test ride.

I'm old, that was one of my first experiences on a "modern" sport bike - more like a race replica.

At 6'4" it felt so tiny.

I remember pulling up to a stoplight, and getting the worst charlie horse in my leg, I thought for sure I was going to fall over right there and then -

How can anyone ride with those pegs so high? Legs all cramped up, I was never so glad to get moving again and headed back to the dealer -

Took the highway, at the end of which is a pretty good "S" turn - and I hit it at a pretty good clip, and then it happened -

The bike was magical, and I mean MAGICAL in those corners, I had never experienced anything like that before, almost a moment of Zen!

Made me wish I was not only young again, but several inches shorter......

post #5 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Had one for a while...baddest bike I've ever owned.

I'd have to say...If I could afford it again some day, I'd have another one in the garage just to ride it when I felt the urge!!!

My youngest daughter loved it too

Not pratical for an everyday bike...But very practical when you just want to go out and tear it up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0254.jpg (147.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 063.jpg (100.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 065.jpg (101.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 028.jpg (143.1 KB, 66 views)

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #6 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Well now I'm getting sad.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #7 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Don't be dude. I hope yours is fixible. If I had extra parts, I would've offered them to ya

2008 Yamaha FZ1-Street
2005 Honda CBR 600rr-Track
post #8 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
You should be sad.
Venom has one sitting in his garage track only that he never rides.......

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #9 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
Had one for a while...baddest bike I've ever owned.

I'd have to say...If I could afford it again some day, I'd have another one in the garage just to ride it when I felt the urge!!!

My youngest daughter loved it too

Not pratical for an everyday bike...But very practical when you just want to go out and tear it up
I rode with a buddy for some time with the Sato high cans on his RC ...... not only did I really like it when we swapped bikes it was nice to ride behind an 80mm mortar section, too.

post #10 of 75 Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

The early model tanks failed at the lower seam & leaked fuel directly onto the rear header pipe.

Only miss mine when it rains... on a wet track they made you a god any other time a well ridden 600 will stomp an RC's guts into the ground

post #11 of 75 Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

^ +1 what Mike said. There was an unofficial recall on 2000-2001 model year tank due to leak at the rear mounting bracket. You may want to call a local Honda dealer and see what they can do. Be nice to them since few Service Managers know about this problem and still around.

Try searching Speedzilla for tips and tricks on the RC. There are a lot of Rogue/Speedzilla folks here (as I discovered) so post up if you need additional help.

post #12 of 75 Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

RC's rock!

post #13 of 75 Old 09-29-2009, 03:35 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

[QUOTE=Lord Duckhunter;356543]The early model tanks failed at the lower seam & leaked fuel directly onto the rear header pipe.

Only miss mine when it rains... on a wet track they made you a god any other time a well ridden 600 will stomp an RC's guts into the ground

True Mike - but don't tell me the fat pig wasn't fun to ride... regardless of the lapp times!

I still regret selling mine...

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #14 of 75 Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post

True Mike - but don't tell me the fat pig wasn't fun to ride... regardless of the lapp times!
Oh no the RC is an extremely gratifying bike to ride, probably one of my all time favorite bikes to make it go fast, but it sure ain't cheap to get it to that point and anyone that pushes an RC51 on the track with stock suspension & wheels wads it up period. It's not even a question of if...

post #15 of 75 Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Back in the day

Footastic02. I have a spare set of OEM track plastics and fuel tank if you have any interested.

I do not know about he rest of you guys and girls, but I really like my RC. I am considerable older then most of you so the fell of a big twin is very nostalgic. As to the bikes speed, it is not that fast compared to Liter bikes. I was offered a very good deal to upgrade to an 08CBR. By any measure of a performance motorcycle the CBR is a much better motorcycle but to me it does not have the same feeling. Since I am for the time being just riding on the street, ultimate speed is not that important. I just like to ride the RC. It is the last of the point and shot style bikes.

post #16 of 75 Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Back in the day

Footastic02. I have a spare set of OEM track plastics and fuel tank if you have any interested.

I do not know about he rest of you guys and girls, but I really like my RC. I am considerable older then most of you so the feel of a big twin is very nostalgic. As to the bikes speed, it is not that fast compared to Liter bikes. I was offered a very good deal to upgrade to an 08CBR. By any measure of a performance motorcycle the CBR is a much better motorcycle but to me it does not have the same feeling. Since I am for the time being just riding on the street, ultimate speed is not that important. I just like to ride the RC. It is the last of the point and shot style bikes.

post #17 of 75 Old 09-29-2009, 06:52 PM
President of FOG

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I miss both of mine. But then again, there is no place to flog it here, thus, no RC no mo.

Playing hooligan on a 08 Husky SM610 and WR250X.

Making dream homes come true! Virginia Beach Remodeling

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat
post #18 of 75 Old 09-29-2009, 07:08 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

You C A N N O T imagine how much I miss mine !!!!!

post #19 of 75 Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
Oh no the RC is an extremely gratifying bike to ride, probably one of my all time favorite bikes to make it go fast, but it sure ain't cheap to get it to that point and anyone that pushes an RC51 on the track with stock suspension & wheels wads it up period. It's not even a question of if...
HA - I laughed hard when I read this.... because I know first hand its true! Damn that was painful!

And MIcheal... I see a pic of Old Crazy Eyes in that picture... lol... You may wanna hide that!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #20 of 75 Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 AM

I'm my 23+ years of riding motorcycles nothing has put a bigger smile on my face than when I hit the start button on my RC51, it just always dose what I want and it has never broke down or let me down in the 4 years I have owned it.

post #21 of 75 Old 10-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila-RC51 View Post

I thougt only Harley owners needed the oil catching mat under the bike:001_smile:

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #22 of 75 Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

Still have my 2000 RC ...has about 8,000 miles on it. Goes in the living room every winter cause the semi-heated shop is not gentle enough on it. It's never seen a drop of rain...or even wash water. Got a couple of scraps and dings, mostly from trailers on getting hit with something in the shop.

At this point....there would be no point in selling it....how am I going to replace that technology and performance for the $4,000 it's worth?

It's that sound that still gets me...instant revving v-twin with 4" bores, and those four gear drive cams. Is there another V-twin in the world right now with four gear drive cams?
JohnnyB

post #23 of 75 Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 PM
919>food>beer

Quote:
out of curiosity, whats wrong with the wheels?

post #24 of 75 Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I wish my RC was in my garage... Well parts of it are.

I bought it new in 2002 and beat 23000+ miles out of it so far. Never an issue in the many miles/track days I've shared with it. My recent crash had nothing to do with the bike but only my stupidity...

It's my baby

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #25 of 75 Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
out of curiosity, whats wrong with the wheels?
Weight...

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #26 of 75 Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM

The BST wheels I have on my bike were something like 13lbs lighter for the set than my stock rims.

post #27 of 75 Old 10-16-2009, 03:55 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadogs View Post
I thougt only Harley owners needed the oil catching mat under the bike:001_smile:
Just saw this. She actually never leaked oil. Notice how dry the cardboard is. I put it there because I clean and greased / oil the chain almost every weekend.

post #28 of 75 Old 10-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

Mike, so far my 2000 RC hasn't had a tank leak. How universal was this problem? I read about it way back but never took any action on it. Would you consider it likely that it will develop a leak, or is it one of those things where if it hasn't yet, it probably won't?
Thanks,
JohnnyB
(And still a member of Rogue after all these years)

post #29 of 75 Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Mike, so far my 2000 RC hasn't had a tank leak. How universal was this problem? I read about it way back but never took any action on it. Would you consider it likely that it will develop a leak, or is it one of those things where if it hasn't yet, it probably won't?
Thanks,
JohnnyB
(And still a member of Rogue after all these years)
Hey if you show proof of ownership via title and vin # Honda will be able to tell you if the tank had been replaced (assuming your not the original owner)
the recall was and has been a live topic since day one on zilla and if I had one I would pusue the replacement warranty sooner than later 2cents
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 272.jpg (60.7 KB, 14 views)

'03 RC
CRA
#667 N
post #30 of 75 Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 PM

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila-RC51 View Post

A "Chest Freezer"? Is that to make your nipples hard?

post #31 of 75 Old 11-09-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
'02-919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondad View Post
Footastic02. I have a spare set of OEM track plastics and fuel tank if you have any interested..
Thanks.. I'll ask him.
I definately think he's gonna be in the market for some new plastics, just not sure if he'll be interested in track skins.

I actually just got the bike yesterday cuz he was in Vegas. I came home and it was in the driveway, still warm. I rode it immediately, I had to. Even though it's in such rough shape I had a freakin blast!
Like I said, it's been down at least twice, the Yosh pipes are marred up and none of the body is fitting correctly. Also the whole speedo unit is out, which is a new occurance since I saw it last. The clutch is also barely functioning. There are pieces of the body that are missing and on and on.
I think that I'm going to start by pulling it apart and washing the bike down. This thing is filthy and just cleaning it up is going to take a while.
Only one headlight is on with the low beams and both when you select the high beam- which is correct, right?

Thanks about the insight on the tank leak. I'll get on it.

BTW the pics of the bikes you guys own(ed) are gorgeous. I'll start tracking my progress this week and post some pics. It's really gonna take some elbow grease on my part and some money on his, but I think it can be brought back from the dead.

post #32 of 75 Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
and anyone that pushes an RC51 on the track with stock suspension & wheels wads it up period. It's not even a question of if...
Thermosman put a spring on the stock shock for me and I dropped a set of springs in the forks and went racing..... with OEM wheels.

post #33 of 75 Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Ok what kind of lap times are you doing at which tracks?

and I am assuming you have never crashed, not once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
Thermosman put a spring on the stock shock for me and I dropped a set of springs in the forks and went racing..... with OEM wheels.

post #34 of 75 Old 11-09-2009, 12:38 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ok what kind of lap times are you doing at which tracks?

and I am assuming you have never crashed, not once.
42's at VIR
23's at summit
41's Barber
17's nelson
5's beaver
44's cmp

I know I'm slow. But I was going as fast as I could. Crashed at VIR (blamed it on tires)

post #35 of 75 Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Milites Gregarius

But I was going as fast as I could ... Try these, Marchesini forged magnesium rims on the cheap - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums

Wheels and a 520 set-up make the bike steer/stop/and accelerate better.

'03 RC
CRA
#667 N
post #36 of 75 Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy View Post
42's at VIR
23's at summit
41's Barber
17's nelson
5's beaver
44's cmp

I know I'm slow. But I was going as fast as I could. Crashed at VIR (blamed it on tires)

Well if you crashed that your entire post is misplaced & I stand by my original statement 100%.

BTW 44's at CMP on an RC is pretty impressive actually especially one without any real suspension. I only ran 43's there on my very well sorted 1000RR. In fact all your times are quite notable for a stock suspended RC, but just think what you could have done if the bike was more compliant & quicker handling...

post #37 of 75 Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

I left the wheel stock so that I could Race SS class too. That being said.............

I did put 02 wheels on my 01 RC,....... I don't know if thats "technically" cheating but,
I KNOW I saw some guys running aftermarket wheels anyway, but I wasn't gonna be the guy that whinned about it.

post #38 of 75 Old 11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well if you crashed that your entire post is misplaced & I stand by my original statement 100%.

BTW 44's at CMP on an RC is pretty impressive actually especially one without any real suspension. I only ran 43's there on my very well sorted 1000RR. In fact all your times are quite notable for a stock suspended RC, but just think what you could have done if the bike was more compliant & quicker handling...
Thats the NEW CMP, not the old.

And I weight 280, (maybe 300 suited up) which is one of the reasons I think the stock stuff works okay for me, where most people (of normal weights) agree its junk.

post #39 of 75 Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
'02-919

Initial pics of my patient

Here's the first pics of the RC in question. Since I just got ahold of it this last weekend I haven't even pulled the plastic off to take a good look at it. These pics are just to show "the before" and get a few first thoughts about it. I'll tear into it when the weather takes a permanent dive and I don't want to ride my 9r any more. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Remember it's not my bike....you wont hurt my feelins!

2000 RC-51 pictures by footastic02 - Photobucket

post #40 of 75 Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase

It honestly doesn't look that bad to me. My RC started out looking much, much worse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode