600RR ?'s - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

600RR ?'s

Bought mine used, didn't get the owners manual with it, so bear with me...

What octane fuel does Honda recommend?

Does my 49 state bike have a cat in it?

How does this bike do on hot days as far as heat pouring off of it and roasting the rider?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 05:40 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Nope

Can't be any worse than an RC-51 and I'm still alive and possibly not sterile yet.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #3 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I consistently ran 89 octane in my '04 RR except on trackdays. I would run the 93 or a blend. It never hiccuped, sputtered or knocked w/ the lower octane. I never had a problem with heat from the engine unless I was sitting on the grid waiting for the track marshall to release us.

post #4 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:08 AM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

I always run the good stuff. . .92, at least
No cat for you.
I only feel the heat at stop lights. . .then again, when riding the the RR, I ALWAYS wear my Alpinestars full track suit and ALL my underseat heatshielding has been removed.

post #5 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 AM
Hastatus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

nice looking RR!

+ $5

post #6 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quoted from RR.net Pay close attention to the difference between RON (Research Octane Number) and PON (Pump Octane Number). The manual recommendations are based off of the PON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Okay. So after reading so many octane posts, I've decided to try to put an end to the mystery. What follows is a reproduction of an article printed in the July 2005 issue of BIKE magazine (a British publication). I feel that it sheds more than enough light on the octane debate. I've taken the liberty of highlighting the important bits. Don't be scared because it's an easy read even though it looks wordy.

Also, I need to preface the article with this:

RON rating is NOT the same number you see at the pump, which is the PON rating. The article refers to the octane rating of gas in RON, so you need to take into account that the number you see at the pump is gonna have a corresponding number that is lower.

RON = Research Octane Number (what the bike/manual says)

PON = Pump Octane Number (what you see at the pump)

90 RON = 86.6 PON

92 RON = 88.5 PON

95 RON = 91 PON

96 RON = 92 PON

98 RON = 94 PON

Please, spread the gospel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erw43 View Post
The one on the top is from the 2004 and the bottom is 2007.

post #7 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:34 AM
C'est la vie

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

If you've got the stock exhaust, it does have a cat in it. From '05 on they all have them.

Edit: I removed my octane info as James just covered it.

I've never been roasted by mine but I've just removed the side shields from the mid pipe area.

post #8 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

So there you go. The manual says you need Premium gas.

The tank on my bike says 92 OCTANE (Premium Only) and I thought this was the same terminology as the 600rr and 1000rr?

Filler door on my car says it needs PON 91.5. Never seen anyone sell in halves. Stupid Germans.

Edit: I like hamburgers.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #9 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

This little 6 runs so clean, I'm very surprised it has no cat in it. So do the 49 state bikes weigh a half pound less and have a half an extra hp than the cali models?

I'm cool with you guys running "the good stuff". What does HONDA say?

As far as heat goes, I'm hoping a smaller engine, smaller hp#'s..... less heat. Never ridden this thing in temps above 67F, so I don't know what I have yet as far as heat. It seems a lot of the liter bikes, and bigger, just pour out the heat. The Duc 1098, the 1125 Buell, zx14, and a few others I can't think of off hand, are supposidly horrible. My 929 would bake your right foot on a warm day.

I rode 160 miles Mon in 60-65 degrees. I have Heli Bars on it already. What a nice bike. The last 45 minutes, I purposely rode straight roads at 55-60mph, comfortably. A lot of sportbikes are fine as long as you are tossing em around, but the acid test is a straight line at the end of the day. The seat is small, but a lot softer than my 929, and maybe a little softer than my 919. I'm going to try the one inch lower pegs WildHair sells, one of these days. I don't need all that ground clearance. Comfy as an Interceptor, just a lot lighter and quicker?

post #10 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

You guys are so fast I had 3 replies from the time I started typing my post until I posted it. THANKS!!!!

post #11 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Why remove the heatshields? Like the MotoGP look?

post #12 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

If you put the lower pegs on it, don't ever take it to a trackday. I was scraping toes all day long with the stockers. I can't imagine having lower ones.

post #13 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I'm cool with you guys running "the good stuff". What does HONDA say?
the owner's manual AND the sticker on the tank say anything above 86 is fine. that is PON (what the US uses). i've run 87 commuting to work and never had an issue (10k+ miles) and i've run 92+ riding hard on the weekends and at the track. again, no issues. i'm at 17,500+ miles and recently dyno'd over 109 at the wheel. commuting, save the cash, hard riding, either way...

post #14 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

@ $20 a pop for toe sliders, I've learned to keep my boots tucked in. But in the unlikely even I do a trackday, I will certainly put the stockers back on.

Blu, what year model do you have? Any mods?

post #15 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Oh, they were tucked in, I assure you. If you have Sidi boots, I highly recommend their ceramic sliders. Worth every penny and next to impossible to wear out. You can see your lines around the track w/ 'em too.

post #16 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

Quote:
@ $20 a pop for toe sliders, I've learned to keep my boots tucked in. But in the unlikely even I do a trackday, I will certainly put the stockers back on.

Blu, what year model do you have? Any mods?
heh... let me get my notes out... i'm on an '04, totalled out last fall. STM slipper, arata full exhaust, braketech/ferodo iron rotors, galfer superbike lines, 1000rr radial master cylinder, gilles rearsets, vortex clipons, 1/6 turn HRC throttle, k&n with the shortened oem velocity stacks and cleaned out airbox, PC3, graves racing fairing stay and subframe, yoyodyne 1-piece fiberglass intake tubes, reworked forks with racetech internals, penske 2-way rear shock, stripped wire harness (both of em)... i think that's all of it. it was dyno'd before the filter and airbox stuff was done. i'd guess around 110-111 now.

post #17 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ridge, that's an impressive photo. I'm quite certain I haven't got the talent or balls that you and Blu have. I'll bet I have just as much fun tho.... another one of the cool things about riding.

Ceramic sliders. I like that. Where do I go for them?

Arata full system, K+N, PC, and "hacksaw" yeilded 111 on an `04. Not bad!

post #18 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 08:12 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

yeah i had fun with the hacksaw... i also took out the resonators in the airbox, dunno if that helped any but thought it would smooth out the airflow

post #19 of 26 Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Power 2 the pedal

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Ceramic sliders. I like that. Where do I go for them?
Ceramic sliders @ Motonation

post #20 of 26 Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

I've got a chit load of race goodies I'll be off loading once I leave this god-forsaken-country and get back home.

List includes exhaust, suspension, race fairings and stays... you name it, I got it. Bike is an 04.

ps. you'll sweat your nuts off at a traffic light in the summer time. The undertail exhaust gives you swamp arse...hahaha.

post #21 of 26 Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

let me know on some of those goodies if you got something i don't! plus, a buddy here at work has an '03 and we're breaking his track cherry next weekend!

post #22 of 26 Old 11-16-2007, 04:47 PM

HEY! I was supposed to get dibs on that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayrock View Post
I've got a chit load of race goodies I'll be off loading once I leave this god-forsaken-country and get back home.
Well, from that attitude I'd say you didn't get the lead singer OR the guitar player.

post #23 of 26 Old 11-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbord View Post
Well, from that attitude I'd say you didn't get the lead singer OR the guitar player.
WARNING - THREAD JACK IN PROGRESS

I met the guitar chick first, last week, but the singer started to chat me up later in the night. One thing led to another and we're doing the phone number exchange with the singer. So, the guitar chick gets pissed... next thing I know and I'm awake in my hotel room...

Fast forward to following weekend and I go back. Lead singer chick starts waving and smiling on my way into the bar, which results in nasty looks from the locals. Followed by sms to yours truly, hehehe.

Guitar chick catches wind of me and runs total cock-block till the end of the night. Then to top this off... guitar chick has major meltdown around 1:30am and starts balling about family and stuff.... I was like WTF

So, to save grace and get my manly desires filled for the evening, I rounded up another "trollup" before close... Full story details upon return

THREAD JACK OVER - PLEASE CONTINUE

post #24 of 26 Old 11-17-2007, 06:20 AM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

oh god you didn't go hoggin' again did you???

post #25 of 26 Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Left Hand Suzuki Method

Hoggin? Is that some kind of game where the guy who goes home with the fattest chick wins? Never heard of it...lol!

post #26 of 26 Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 

shoooooot... i thought you were the CHAMP!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode