600RR mods - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

600RR mods

I don't know if what I've done can even be called a modification.

Stickers and reflectors gone.

Swing arm spools and Sato frame sliders.

Heli Bars. I did this today. Probably took me over 2 hours, but I go slow when doing things like this. The swap was simple and straight foreward. Heli gives you very good instructions. The one deviation I did was to reroute the brake line. Honda wraps it around he fork, I ran it straight down. The end result of the whole operation is very nice. It looks completely stock. Everything is bind free, works just as well as it did before. They are 3/4" wider than stock, which I don't like. Why people like wide "handlebars" is beyond me. However they are only 26" from end of grip to end of grip, which really isn't that bad. I can tell just by looking, the bike has gotten much more comfortable.

This thing is geared a bit short, I think. Will 06 rear sprockets fit? I'd like to go down 1 or 2 teeth in back. This engine makes plenty of power to pull that gearing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 PM

Dammit steal a camera already!

post #3 of 7 Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Give a report on those helibars comfort factor when you get a chance to ride it, thinking of doing my 954

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato

post #4 of 7 Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I've had HeliBars on my 929 for a year now. I liked them so much I bought the company. OK, not really, but I liked them so much that I decided when I finally broke down and got the 6, the first thing I'd do is HeliBars.

929: I won't go back to stock. Not a day and night's difference, but a very noticeable difference. I'm 47. Bottom line is, I can ride a lot longer and more comfortably now. My 20something riding buddies take more breaks than I need. The 06 R6 is the worst by the way. The ZX10 is a close second. I think if I put a set of lower pegs (Wildhair) on, the 929 would be that much better. If I do, I'll report back. I have an Ohlins rear shock and Dan Kyle re-did the forks for me. It rides nice.

When I put the Helibars on the 929, they were 2" wider than stock. I hate wide bars. After some careful measuring, I cut .55" off each end and redrilled. Even tho the HeliBars on MY 929 are an inch wider than stock, they still look and feel good. From end of rubber grip to end of rubber grip, my bars are 26 3/4". You'll probably have to re-route the clutch cable. No biggie. If you use the stock bar weights, they're a bear to get out. Take the weight off. Drill a hole thru a board and put the screw thru the board and back into the weight. Now you have something to pull on. Loop a soft tie thru the fork end. Loop that dude to something substantial and pull. I figure mine to aprox 90 lbs of force to get out. None of which is hard. If you get stuck, or have a ?, let me know.

post #5 of 7 Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition 
Total Awards: 1

yes, sprockets off any year 600rr will fit, 03-06! i haven't ridden an RR with helibars on it, but i imagine they do wonders! def gotta have picks!

post #6 of 7 Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Thanks for the all the info. The 954 isnt bad at all, but I notice the pressure on my one wrist quite a bit, I hurt it few years ago crashing my snowmobile. It didnt bother me on the 919 so I dont think I need a huge change, as I can still ride all day, just would like to have a bit more comfort.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #7 of 7 Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Thanks, Blue.

Justin, you're right. They're not bad, probably why it took me so long to do it. I think the 954 had a 5mm shorter reach to the bars than the 929. Stockers work well if you're out slinging the thing around in the twisties. If you want to do any distance tho, the HeliBars are the way to go.

If you put a set on, make a rainey day project out of it. I's not hard, just time consuming. On the new ones for the 6, they're one piece CNC machined aluminum, powdercoated black. The ends are threaded for the bar end weights, so I didn't have the ornery chore of pulling the damper weights out of the old ones. On one hand that was nice, but on the other, I didn't really have the option of cutting them narrower either.

BTW, I think the 954 is one of the finest sportbikes ever made. A true classic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode