6 months along (GSX-R1000L8/9)... - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CeeBee919

post #1 of 8 Old 06-28-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Al

6 months along (GSX-R1000L8/9)...

Well, it's been almost 6 months now since I bought the bike and now it's up on the stands all settled in for the winter, which by the way, has almost 'not' happened. Right now it should be right in the depths of colder, wetter weather (July being our wettest/coldest month) but with a few days to go til then, we've been having plenty of warmer blue sky days - unusual but not rare though. I went for my last ride about a month ago, and what a great ride it was, with a couple of friends. Right now I've put front and rear stands under it, lifting both ends off the concrete floor, tyre pressures checked, sealed off exhaust can and air intakes, it had new oil in it recently and the other day I bought some fuel stabiliser and in the next few days I'll fill the tank with gas - done for the winter...

It has been a great summer of riding for me and I've got to know the bikes handling quite well now. I've had the front wheel off the road a few times just through sheer acceleration both off the mark and from simply whacking open the throttle in lower gears at low to moderate speeds and the traction control and associated stability has probably saved my neck on a an occasion or two. Sometimes staying at legal speeds is all but impossible (in the mind department) on this bike and others like it I guess, so a quick flick on the throttle every now and then can relieve that temptation - oh boy can it ever... If there's one thing that continually amazes the heck out of me, it's the great handfuls of power this bike seems to possess and throw at you when you call for it with the right hand,, it seems like never ending power. Those Bridgestone RS10's, which I knew nothing of back then, have also really impressed the heck out of me. They still have plenty of life left in them, so when summer rolls around, I know I can trust them..

All in all I can only sum this bike up by saying that this is by far the greatest bike I have ever owned and ridden and apart from the few quick turning issues I had for the first few initial weeks (until I simply tuned it out of the suspension set up), I really got to know and use the excellent handling and the scorching power of this amazing sports bike...

Oh, why am I hanging up the helmet over winter..?? Two reasons,,
1). I never did by the GSX-R simply to ride, ride and ride. I bought it mainly because it was always a bike I wanted to own. Now I do own one, so I just want to take some pleasure in actually owning it..
2). Being a builder, an 'older' builder, I have torn or damaged muscles that I didn't even know existed. Both arms and both shoulders have been popped over the years and now I get cramps, some real bad when temperatures get cold. On the very last ride, although the ride itself was fantastic, I had a cramp in my lower right leg as the day was getting on into late afternoon. It was hurting so much that when I came to the last stop sign before I got home, I thought I would have to step off the bike and drop it. Luckily the pain went as fast as it came, right at the last second. That's the warning sign that it was going to play up over winter - like it does every year. I've had a few of these cramps since as things cool down, so I'm sure I made the right decision to hang up the boots and helmet until it's a lot warmer.. See you all next summer...!!!

Al (CeeBee919)
marylandmike likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-29-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee919 View Post
1). I never did by the GSX-R simply to...(CeeBee919)
Should read - I never did "buy" the GSX-R simply to...

& also..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee919 View Post
Both arms and both shoulders have been popped over the years
Should read - Both "legs" and both shoulders have been popped over the years

Sorry about spelling and other error...

Ak (CeeBee919)

post #3 of 8 Old 06-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the new ride....so many nice bikes out there now!

post #4 of 8 Old 06-29-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Al

thanks marylandmike
Sorry to edit so many times but it's early morning here, still dark and cool (shortest day of the years a couple of days ago), and I obviously haven't woken up properly yet,, hahaha..
Oh yes,, lots of nice bikes around alright,, lots..!!

post #5 of 8 Old 06-29-2019, 06:16 PM
919 Rider

Cool.
I briefly considered the GSX-S1000 as a suitable future replacement for my Hornet 900 cause I've heard lots of good things about it. But I think I'll go for something less "modern" looking. A little more retro.
But ya never know. Would love to take a new model GSX 1000 for a spin.

post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2019, 05:50 AM
Tesserarius

Take a couple of aspirin, drink a glass or 2 old water, and stretch before riding. See if that helps with the cramps. Cold weather doesn't help cramps, either.

I like sportbikes. The low bars never bothered me much. But the high pegs, and lowish seat did me in. I had an 06 CBR600RR that I loved. If I could have just lowered those damn pegs a couple of inches, I'd still have it. I still have a prestine 929. I just look at that one. Mostly I ride the 990 SD. Lots of leg room on that bike.

post #7 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Al

Islandboy,
The one thing that will never change, is that sporty bikes tend to go out of fashion real fast, as soon as a new model appears, while more normal/retro looking bikes seem to enjoy a much longer owner and public acceptance lifespan. That'll never change. I see your point...

Sniper-x
That may be solid advice, but it'll have to wait until maybe December or thereabouts because the bike is now up on the stands for the winter. All I have to do now is top up the fuel (with fuel stabilizer in it). I got fresh fuel in a jerry can just this afternoon and mixed in the stabilizer. I'll tip it in tomorrow and start her up for a few minutes to get that stuff in there,, then it's goodnight nurse 'til next summer. I've been getting plenty of leg cramps lately as the weather is getting cooler. It happens every year, so it's expected...

Al

post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Tesserarius

Part of the cramp thing, a contributing factor, may be that you're a little tense; new bike and all. I'll bet it'll get better.
Heated pants?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Best Xmas EVER... | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode