2003 R6 Thoughts and Questions - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

2003 R6 Thoughts and Questions

My cousin just picked up a 2003 R6 with 14,xxx miles on it. I went with him to check it out and it appears to be a good bike.

- Chain maintenance looked good
- The bike only had a few minor stratches, but had never touched the ground that I could tell. The worst scratches looked like straps buffeting in the wind against the tail section.
- It has a Yosh trioval carbon slip on and a PowerCommander
- The wheel bearings didn't have any slop and the brakes looked/felt good.

The bike had been kept outside a little so a few of the bolts have some surface rust on them.

He gave $3,400 for the bike.

The only thing I noticed about it was the clutch felt funny. It's almost like it grabbed twice, or didn't grab as smoothly as the clutch on my 919 or the 600RR I've ridden.

Is the clutch feel normal for that bike? Other than that, it runs like a sewing machine and pulls pretty good past 6,000 RPM, under that and it's pretty tame/dead. The suspension felt a squishy compared to my stock jackhammer on the 919. It probably didn't help that the preload on both the front and rear were set as low as possible.

He wants to come over and have me show him a few maintenance things and I'll probably help him set the suspension as good as I can for him while he's there.

After riding for only about 25 miles, my back and wrists were killing me. Why does it have to be so darn uncomfortable? The 600RRs aren't that bad. It takes me about 150 miles to get sore on that.

Press Any Key To Continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

the riding position on those suck butt.... but they are good bikes.. they handle well... sounds like a good deal to me...

but the riding position is horrible... just like most of the rr type bikes...

post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I like the ergos of the 03R6 way over the 03RR.
You may be able to turn the controls down. I have seen some where the levers are straight forward, forcing you to put a good bend in the wrist.

As for the clutch thing... I am not sure what you are talking about. It is a clable on that bike (if I remember correctly) - Check for slop. Does the lever move too freely, due to cable slack? Or is it too tight - Allowing the clutch to slip?

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06

post #4 of 5 Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
I like the ergos of the 03R6 way over the 03RR.
You may be able to turn the controls down. I have seen some where the levers are straight forward, forcing you to put a good bend in the wrist.

As for the clutch thing... I am not sure what you are talking about. It is a clable on that bike (if I remember correctly) - Check for slop. Does the lever move too freely, due to cable slack? Or is it too tight - Allowing the clutch to slip?
I was comparing the ergos to an 07RR. I think the controls may be too straight. I couldn't even turn the bars full lock on some slow speed maneuvering because my wrists were dropped so far they hit the tank.

The clutch cable was a little on the loose side.

Thanks for the controls suggestion. I'll mention that to him.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 AM
That's Right!!!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

That's a really good deal for an R6 that hasn't been down with those miles. I miss my '03

2003 Honda RC51

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode