2 up on an 02+ VFR? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Discen

2 up on an 02+ VFR?

I've got an 02 919, and have racked up 6500 miles since purchase in july. Love the bike, but I'd like to find something with a bit more wind/rain protection.... and I've always liked VFRs.

My wife loves to go for rides around the 2 laned blacktop with me. Oddly enough she finds the 919 to be very accommodating, and any bike I purchase must be comfortable for her.

I'd like to keep the 9er, but a late model inteceptor just came up for sale local, and I'm thinking hard about making the swap.

Soooo, those of you with 02+ VFRs, do your passengers find the rear seat OK?

Hows fuel mileage?

If I pick up the viffer I would like to purchase Honda hard luggage, how do the bags work if you have them, and do they allow for a passenger?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Droppindrivers

While my vfr is a 2000 and not a 6th generation, my wife loves riding on it and says it is very comfortable. Sorry I do not have any experience with hard bags. My bike gets around 45 to 50 mpg out on the highway. You may also want to look at buying a 98-01 due to the fact that they do not have the Vtec and have the gear driven cam. Some people have said they don't like the sudden burst of power once the vtec kicks in, but everyone has their own opinion. Bottom line you can't go wrong with a Vfr!

post #3 of 6 Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Thank you for the reply sidlives. I looked hard at an 01 about 5 years ago (before I was married), and didn't pay much attention to the back seat. Unfortunately the bike sold before I could scoop it up.

I'm looking hard at the 6th gen because a low mileage 5th gen is not easy to find... and I like the new styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidlives View Post
While my vfr is a 2000 and not a 6th generation, my wife loves riding on it and says it is very comfortable. Sorry I do not have any experience with hard bags. My bike gets around 45 to 50 mpg out on the highway. You may also want to look at buying a 98-01 due to the fact that they do not have the Vtec and have the gear driven cam. Some people have said they don't like the sudden burst of power once the vtec kicks in, but everyone has their own opinion. Bottom line you can't go wrong with a Vfr!

post #4 of 6 Old 10-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The VFR is much more stretched out than 9er, meaning the passenger is further away. That's why my wife chose 9er. Have you tried becoming more upright with the Heli-bars lifters?

post #5 of 6 Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
The VFR is much more stretched out than 9er, meaning the passenger is further away. That's why my wife chose 9er. Have you tried becoming more upright with the Heli-bars lifters?
On the 9er? Nope, still running stock bars.

I dig the 919, it's a great all around bike... but the cold weather / rain made me think twice about commuting on a naked bike. So, I'm on the look out for another sport / standard.

Seems like the Interceptor would be a good choice, I'm also considering a downsize to the Yam YZF600R (not the R6). But it will be difficult to go back to a bike with carbs.

I'm just toying with the idea now as the bike I was thinking about just sold, and there isn't another one local that I can find in my price range. Might have to wait for summer to look for a different mount....

post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Tirone

919 vs. VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
On the 9er? Nope, still running stock bars.

I dig the 919, it's a great all around bike... but the cold weather / rain made me think twice about commuting on a naked bike. So, I'm on the look out for another sport / standard.

Seems like the Interceptor would be a good choice, I'm also considering a downsize to the Yam YZF600R (not the R6). But it will be difficult to go back to a bike with carbs.

I'm just toying with the idea now as the bike I was thinking about just sold, and there isn't another one local that I can find in my price range. Might have to wait for summer to look for a different mount....
Nate,
I have a '07 VFR and '02 919 and for long rides, the 919 wins out, rain or shine. The protection you speak of is minimum when looking at both. The 919 is easier to perform maint. on and wash/detail. The VFR forces my wife into a forward canted postion similiar to a RF900 I had a few years ago. On the 919 she has more room and believe it or not, better wind protection. I guess it is due to me being such a big brick which forces the wind/elements away from her. On the VFR, I'm leaning forward and the wind/elements come right over my shoulders into the open area seperating our bodies. I just asked her, 'we're going across the state tomorrow morning. you have to pick a bike to ride 4-6 hrs; which one?' Her reply..."are you crazy? You know that an hour into a ride on the VFR, I'm in pain plus you said it felt like you are doing a push-up the whole time we ride. Why are you asking?" Nuff said, Good luck! JD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode