06 Kawi 636 help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Tyrone

Question 06 Kawi 636 help

My girlfriend's coworker's husband is in the Navy and in the Gulf. She/he/they let someone recently borrow his 2006 636 and that person put 200 miles on it. I've been asked to help transport the bike by the girlfriend's coworker to a local stealership (from their home) so they can do a tune up and investigate some mysterious warning light that comes on either when the key is turned on or when the bike is started. Details thus far are few and sketchy and until I get to the bike to look at it myself I won't know much of anything for certain about it's condition. My quest was to ask here if anyone knows where I get a e-copy of a owner's manual that may help in simple diagnosis and possibly see what the warning light may actually be. I'd just like to have some sort of idea of what's going on before the stealer gets ahold of the bike so this guy doesn't get ripped off - at least to the degreee that an owner's manual will allow me. The coworker asked me to ride it to the dealership, so I assume it starts but I just don't want something to break when I don't know the history of the bike or what the borrower may have done to it, so I said I'd transport.
Thanks, Steve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

My sister's husband's uncle's grandfather's son's nephew's wife's brother thinks it might be one or more things mechanical or electrical not working. Hope this helps.

It's a Kawi. Trade it in for a Honda.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post

+1

post #4 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Have you looked for a ninja forum? There has to be one out there somewhere with helpful folks like the ones here.

Try these guys http://www.zxforums.com/forums/

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919 View Post
Have you looked for a ninja forum? There has to be one out there somewhere with helpful folks like the ones here.

Try these guys http://www.zxforums.com/forums/
Didn't you read the rules? You have to jack around with stupid answers for at least 6 replies before being helpful.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 PM

:donatello:I was at a ninja symposium the other day...........mostly turtles, I don't know how much they know about bikes. :donatello:

post #7 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

Is the Warning light Blue?

It's Warning them that the High beam is on!

post #8 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Didn't you read the rules? You have to jack around with stupid answers for at least 6 replies before being helpful.
Drat! Sorry, I should have known better in this crowd.

Uh...your mom rides a Kawi!

Was that good enough?

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #9 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider919er View Post
My girlfriend's coworker's husband is in the Navy and in the Gulf. She/he/they let someone recently borrow his 2006 636 and that person put 200 miles on it. I've been asked to help transport the bike by the girlfriend's coworker to a local stealership (from their home) so they can do a tune up and investigate some mysterious warning light that comes on either when the key is turned on or when the bike is started. Details thus far are few and sketchy and until I get to the bike to look at it myself I won't know much of anything for certain about it's condition. My quest was to ask here if anyone knows where I get a e-copy of a owner's manual that may help in simple diagnosis and possibly see what the warning light may actually be. I'd just like to have some sort of idea of what's going on before the stealer gets ahold of the bike so this guy doesn't get ripped off - at least to the degreee that an owner's manual will allow me. The coworker asked me to ride it to the dealership, so I assume it starts but I just don't want something to break when I don't know the history of the bike or what the borrower may have done to it, so I said I'd transport.
Thanks, Steve.
I don't have a copy of that but I'll say this. Just have them diagnose it and see what is wrong. Then have them explain to you what needs to be done/replaced. Then do it yourself, theirself.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #10 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Tyrone

Buncha wiseguys.

Yeah ragdoll that sounds like what I'll suggest. Maybe when the coworker's baby daddy gets back he'd be interested in a low mileage beaut of a 919.

post #11 of 18 Old 03-29-2007, 09:46 PM

This is probably too simple, but it isn't the low fuel light is it?

post #12 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Start it up, ride it around the block, & see for yourself what's flashing. Maybe it's something obvious.
I have a shop manual for the 03-04. The gauges are almost identical so the lights are probably the same. PM me if you want me to try to look up something.
There's a Kwak forum here: http://kawasakiownersclub.com/index.php?act=SC&c=1
but I am not too familiar with it as all my forum time gets spent here with you nutjobs.

post #13 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 07:40 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
This is probably too simple, but it isn't the low fuel light is it?
Now that would be funny

Here is some help with your ninja questions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTaBulIL_w

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #14 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Tyrone

Yeah I still dunno what the light is she's worried about. All this third hand info leaves a lot of detail left untold. I'm supposed to go over to the coworker's house in the next few days so I can talk to her myself and see the light for myself. I'll be sure to check the plugs wires(if possible), side stand switch (?), oil level, and yes, any obvious signs of where the borrower may have dropped it as well as the obvious low fuel level and high beam light. Oooh , maybe it could be a turn signal indicator as no one seems to know what they're for here in FLA. Hopefully something simple but being that it's someone else's I'd just assume transport and let the shop figure things out. Who knows if the owner was half a mechanic and did some mods or just how he maintained it or exactly what the borrower may have done to it. Soon as I get my own eyes on it and have more info I'll report back.

post #15 of 18 Old 03-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Please post pics of said co-worker. This would make it simplier to figure out.

post #16 of 18 Old 03-31-2007, 11:01 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
My sister's husband's uncle's grandfather's son's nephew's wife's brother thinks it might be one or more things mechanical or electrical not working. Hope this helps.

Too specific.
Actually, I know exactly which light it is -- the "this warning light is blown" warning light. There is a very sophisticated electronic control unit which sends a constant low voltage to the bulb and measures the current. As soon as the current drop to zero, it send full voltage to it to warn of its failure. It is very Kawasaki. Compared to this, Italian electrics look logical (basic rule: if you have plugged two wires of the same color together, you have made a mistake. What the hell is purple in Italian? Why does this wiring diagram look like a photo of a plate of linguine? What do you mean the taillight grounds through the magneto?)

Rob

post #17 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Tyrone

Could be she's looking at a blade engangement notification light or a PTO OFF light for the seat switch. If only she'd quit drinkin and racing that hot - rod - mower.

post #18 of 18 Old 04-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

It's probably the seatbelt light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode