05 busa insurance - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

05 busa insurance

Does anyone know a good but cheep companny to get my bike insured for??
I tried Progressive because we pay only 648 per 6 months for a Car and truck threw them, but they want 1000 per year for my bike thats for minimum coverage no collision and 1000 deductable on comprehensive. Also does taking a motorcycle safty course help. Oh ya buy the way im 27 with a not so fancy driving record and live in minnesota.

theres no such thing as stupid questions only stupid people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I found progressive to be very expensive on motorcycle insurance also. I don't understand why, I've been a customer of theirs for 6 years with no tickets or accidents and like you I have a two autos insured with them (bmw and a land rover at that) and they are very inexpensive?

They wanted something like 1200 for the 9'er??? I pretty much told them to get bent!

post #3 of 28 Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I got AAA. It's 2700/yr for 04zx10r, 05 klr650, o3 Chev 4x4HD1500, 01 Dodge Grand Caravan.

In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.
General George S. Patton

post #4 of 28 Old 10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I use progressive, they've always been the cheapest for me for any bike. $75 a year for the 919.

post #5 of 28 Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
I use progressive, they've always been the cheapest for me for any bike. $75 a year for the 919.
How did you manage to get insurance on the 9er for $75 a year? What is your deductible?

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #6 of 28 Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post

75 dollars? I'd have to see your bill to believe it....

post #7 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 01:42 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I'm guessing thats liability only. Collision & Theft on my 04 was quoted at $1066/yr, theft in this part of the country is a big issue (close to mexico)

post #8 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
How did you manage to get insurance on the 9er for $75 a year? What is your deductible?
I've got liability only on all my bikes. $78/year each.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Guess the trick is to cover your ass and not the bike?

post #10 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 03:27 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

This is the second time I found Progressive to be the best buy. Last motorcycle an 03, ZRX1200R new was $400 first year and dropped to 300 second year and lower the third. On my 9er, 05, it was $358 for this year. I had one auto accident, my fault two years ago. Before the 9er I priced a 1250 banit new, and it was going to be $750 for the year. All of this at 1k deductible. Glad I got the 9er.

post #11 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

I shopped bike insurance earlier this year -- sent RFQ's with the same specs to Progressive, Allstate, State Farm, and Nationwide -- and Allstate was (by far) the best deal.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #12 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Lets do this right!

Ok, I think that everyone needs to state if they have FULL Coverage or LIABILITY only...

Driving record, age, martial status and credit score are going to change things for everyone so it would be hard to compare apples to apples.

So...

Here is what I have... Married, 37, Great Credit, No Tickets and No Accidents. My total is $328 per year. Includes $3000 of accessories coverage and travel loss protection of $1000 gear and $400 X 2 Helmet protection as well as travel expenses.

post #13 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

For the Bandit:

2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250SA
Allstate
Age 43
Clean license
$212/year
Full Coverage (Collision & Comprehensive)
Policy is 100K/300K/100K
$500 Deductible
MSF BRC & ERC
Motorcycle endorsement license

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #14 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Doesn't matter much what you guys post up. The area of the country, and even the city within your own state, and EVEN the zip code within your city, has a large impact on what you pay for full coverage.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #15 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Sorry, I can't help you. In Massachusetts insurance is regulated, no competition. Based on driving record, age, number of vehicles, theft devices, etc. Your insurance is a set calculation. Even having a clean in-state drving record (all my tickets have fortunetly been out of state), being older, multilple cars, bikes, and homes through the same carrier with all discounts ... I still pay insane amounts of money in insurance!!

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #16 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

The Busa is a red flag with the insurance companies. Coupled with your age, the premiums go through the roof.

IMO: Forget the extras, stick with Liability. You are rolling the dice however this might be your only cost option.

post #17 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
The Busa is a red flag with the insurance companies. Coupled with your age, the premiums go through the roof.

IMO: Forget the extras, stick with Liability. You are rolling the dice however this might be your only cost option.
Good call Mr. Mike.

Just as an example. One of my newest rides is my cheapest, KLR650. One of my oldest rides still cost twice as much, CBRXX.

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #18 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Before you buy any motorcycle especially a large displacement sport bike or fancy European (read Ducati). PLEASE do your homework, see what the insurance premiums will cost.

post #19 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Before you buy any motorcycle especially a large displacement sport bike or fancy European (read Ducati). PLEASE do your homework, see what the insurance premiums will cost.
+1

I bought an FZ1 four years ago and didn't do this. I was 39 at the time, clean license, good credit score, no accidents, and the insurance bill I got was for $1,400/year! Never saw that coming! Needless to say I didn't have the Fizzer very long.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #20 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
theft in this part of the country is a big issue (close to mexico)
That's the most racist thing I've ever heard!!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #21 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Optio

In this day and age it's a must to call the insurance company and get a quote before writing the check.

I just about bought a new GSXR-750 a couple of years ago and thankfully called my insurance guy before hand as it was 1400-1500 a year for full coverage.

Most of the naked bikes will fall into the non-sport bike catagory for the majority of insurance companies, not all. When I called progressive/Geko the spring before last for quotes on my '06 919 they were around 1200-1400 here in South Dakota.

My first bill for full coverage with American Family was 160.00 ish, which quickly dorpped down to 130.00 and a month or so ago it dropped another 27.00 dollars. So it's just a tad over a hundred a year now for full coverage 500 dollar deducts and 100/200/100 coverage for liability.

Sadly, I'll probably never own another full sports bike as no matter how much money I may or not have I'm not going to pay a 100.00 plus a month for coverage.

34 years old, no accidents on my record and two tickets. Single, house insurance, three vehicles insured plus the bike, no claims rate, etc.

post #22 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

I guess I don't under stand? We pretty much have the same coverage with the same company, I have no tickets or accidents, great credit and so on, so why is mine 300+ and your was 160 to start? Are your other vehicles and home with them as well?

post #23 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Rider reborn

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Just for Comparison... and I have SHOPPED! My KTM 950 SM costs next to nothing ....(full coverage,) with the K8GSXR750 (liability.) Progressive- $475/ yr

Recently shopped a Hypermotard, and the INS. went up by 1K

funny... in many ways...

Lex Talionis
post #24 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

I'm gonna call my agent on the motorcycle insurance and see if they offer better rates for my autos? That would also give me a multi discount and lower the bike...

Progressive can suck my left nut, if I can do better overall with someone else I'm gone! They sure as hell haven't been loyal to me, so why should I return the favor?

post #25 of 28 Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I guess I don't under stand? We pretty much have the same coverage with the same company, I have no tickets or accidents, great credit and so on, so why is mine 300+ and your was 160 to start? Are your other vehicles and home with them as well?
My vehicles and home are also insured through American Family, I'm pretty much always trading off one vehicle and everytime I do I ask for a better rate.

Pretty much a no-brainer that I can't drive two trucks and one car, plus a motorcycle, so I would hope I would get a big discount for that fact.

Don't really know how your credit rating affects things, but the last time I checked mine it was 797 a few months ago (A+).

No accidents, but two tickets on it. One of them should be about off, which means I'm most likely do for another one sometime soon as I can never manage to have just one on my record.

post #26 of 28 Old 10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Ripper

Re-read the post about the area you live. Some zip codes are on the red list for stolen vehicles. Others may have a high number of drunk related fender benders. The number of previous addresses tell them if you are stable. Insurance cos don't want a member who gets $$ back, they like the ones who pay for years and never make a claim.

[
post #27 of 28 Old 10-16-2008, 02:29 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

This is a very subjective ordeal. After reading some of the other fantastically low insurance rates in another thread, I too called my insurance agent. My 919 is the only thing insured through Progressive and it costs me about 480 per year. That is a 2 year old with liability plus comprehensive, a 100/300 policy (whatever that means), and a $500 deductible. She said the reason it was higher was because of my 1 speeding ticket on my record and I have more than the state minimum. At the state minimum I would only pay $190 per year. I personally like the extra padding especially the comp. My comp. covers collisions with animals, and fire insurance (in case it is in the garage when the house burns down or if it has an electrical problem and the battery blows up and roasts the bike)

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #28 of 28 Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
Re-read the post about the area you live. Some zip codes are on the red list for stolen vehicles. Others may have a high number of drunk related fender benders. The number of previous addresses tell them if you are stable. Insurance cos don't want a member who gets $$ back, they like the ones who pay for years and never make a claim.
Yea, I did some homework on Insurance. I found what I believe to be the variance in rates I was getting. My rates are actually good for the coverage I have. To get the coverage I currently have with another company like progressive it would be about 3 times as much. I will stick with what I have for now. My limits are high and deductibles are low, and with my age and having a family to care for I like having the higher limits. https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ight=insurance

Below is the post I added to the other Insurance thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Ok, I spent some time on progressive web site inputting different information and here is what I found.

If you use the VIN # you will be entered as a "200x Honda 919"

or

You can bypass the VIN and CHOOSE "200x Honda CB900F (NOT 919)"

If you bypass the VIN you will be required to enter it to purchase the policy, so there really is no sense in trying to fool the system, let alone yourself. Cause it just isn't going to happen!!!

Keep in mind, I am 37 with A+ Credit and No Accidents or Tickets.

Discounts applied are:
• Association Discount
• HomeOwner's Discount
• Multi Policy Discount (Discount savings: $18)
• Paid-In-Full Discount
• Responsible Driver Discount
• Safety Course Discount
• Transfer/Prior Insurance Discount

Anyway, here are some quotes (scanned images from Progressives web site) Hidden in these Spoilers. Providing images of quotes so there is no question of validity! Personal info blurred out and images cropped only for my own ID protection.

Bike selected Manually and no VIN entered
Spoiler:

Bike selected by VIN Number and Playing around with Coverages & Deductibles.
Spoiler:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode