WTB - Sena SMH10 Universal Bluetooth Headset - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
919 Stealth Fighter

WTB - Sena SMH10 Universal Bluetooth Headset

Hey just thought I'd check out here in the community to see if anyone has a communicator they're looking to sell. I like the Sena SMH10... it has super easy controls and all the bluetooth options I want. Thanks!

National Cycle

-s1x
'02 Asphalt 919

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
post #3 of 20 Old 03-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Tesserarius

Garage
Amazon!
Buy here: Amazon.com

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo

post #4 of 20 Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
919 Stealth Fighter

Thanks Wolf! I watched a few videos and read a bunch of reviews on the R model. I like the slim profile way better than the bulky look of the SMH10 and I don't think the controls will be a problem. I'll probably fab something to streamline the square battery box too.

BTW - Love the USD fork! and headlight! and just about everything else.

HA! I just noticed I accidentally linked a windscreen pic.

-s1x

post #5 of 20 Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Just a suggestion... Get the SMH10R
+1

I've actually had both models. I ended up selling the original to get the slim model. The battery life is a bit less, but much less bulky so the tradeoff is worth it!
post #6 of 20 Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
919 Stealth Fighter

Any issues at all with using the controls on the R when wearing winter gloves?

Can the battery be charged off the helmet (is it easily detachable)?

post #7 of 20 Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1xstr1ng View Post
Any issues at all with using the controls on the R when wearing winter gloves?

Can the battery be charged off the helmet (is it easily detachable)?
It's definitely not as easy as the original.. but I've had no issues. There are rasied areas where the lights are that are between the buttons that help to position your hand in the right spot. So you'll get used to the buttons.

As for recharging. You plug in a micro usb to the unit itself while on the helmet to charge. So you don't remove the battery.

Benefit is that whenever your battery goes to hell, you can just buy a new battery.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 AM
just send it.

Garage
LOVE my SMH10. The bulk doesn't bother me at all... When the helmet is on my head, I can't tell it's there. I get about a 7-8 hours on a single charge when on a road trip. That's paired with my phone (for music) and another SMH10. If there was a way to squeeze another 2 hours out of that battery, it would be perfect.

[This space for rent]
post #9 of 20 Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Aquilifer

I've been on the verge of getting one of these, I am just trying to figure out if the helmet to helmet mode allows for you to activate with voice or do you have to push the button on the unit each time. Anyone who can help answer that question for me would have my gratitude.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #10 of 20 Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
I've been on the verge of getting one of these, I am just trying to figure out if the helmet to helmet mode allows for you to activate with voice or do you have to push the button on the unit each time. Anyone who can help answer that question for me would have my gratitude.
There are two settings. One that is voice activated and one that is not. I can see your question in two ways.

1. Meaning like a walkie talkie when the button is down you are able to talk. This is not the case. You either turn it on or off. Turning it on or off can be done by voice or by button.

This same setting can be used to pick up a phone call as well.

I currently have my intercom set up without voice and my phone call with voice. When I get a phone call, I just say "hello" and the call picks up.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Aquilifer

I'd have it flipped if it is doable. If I am on the bike I'm not concerned at all with taking phone calls. I'm just looking for ways to communicate on group rides (small groups) and then if I am running google maps I'd like to hear the turn by turn directions. I might consider music but I don't usually play music or anything now days. Mostly it's a matter of convenience. I just like to get on the bike and go and not spend a lot of time hooking up wires and fiddling with stuff in pockets, also I always kind of feel it would diminish my awareness factor for what is going on around or behind me.

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #12 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Tesserarius

Anyone know if there's a combination of blue tooth thingy, and maps where you can plan your route and it tells you the turn by turn as you go?

it seemed like google was working on something similar awhile ago. I kind of have a feeling bmw or someone has it patented. I'm pretty sure my friend with a Z4 could get directions on the computer, email them himself, and the car would use the specified route.

post #13 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Aquilifer

There is a project out there called Skully. I signed up for the product testing phase back in January but have not heard anything. I imagine it's going to be a little longer to get to a production test model. I feel like in the next year though big things are going to happen, the question will ultimately be, how much are you will to pay for a convenience item? I imagine before too long helmets will basically include all the components your cell phone does, eliminating the need for anything but a place to charge them and a slot to insert your sim chip and a sd card. We're really not that far off from it if you think about it.

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #14 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKutz_GO View Post
Anyone know if there's a combination of blue tooth thingy, and maps where you can plan your route and it tells you the turn by turn as you go? it seemed like google was working on something similar awhile ago. I kind of have a feeling bmw or someone has it patented. I'm pretty sure my friend with a Z4 could get directions on the computer, email them himself, and the car would use the specified route.
I just run maps on my phone bluetoothed to my headset... Works fine for me. In my car I have an iPod plugin so I just run pandora or music from my phone and maps cuts in when necessary.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #15 of 20 Old 04-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Aquilifer

In a pinch I have an adapter that goes on my handlebar that has a Garmin ball. I usually use it for my gps but am about to either make or get an adapter for the iphone. I already have the power adapter that runs up to the side of the headlight bucket. I used to have an android phone but gave up on it because they all just gave me problems. When I did use the Android I just used google maps and a Panasonic stereo BT headset that had in ear speaker pods and rested around my neck. I've been thinking about getting the SMH10 just to simplify it and not have to worry about the wiring, plus the microphone noise cancellation on the SMH10 seems to be incredible.

Rob C

2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #16 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Tesserarius

i'm familiar with using google maps for directions and having it speak over my music.. but i mean when you want to go the path less travelled. like planning out a route for a ride or something. Where your finish and end point are the same (or anywhere) and you plan how to get there, not just select one of three options provided by google maps.

post #17 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
i'm familiar with using google maps for directions and having it speak over my music.. but i mean when you want to go the path less travelled. like planning out a route for a ride or something. Where your finish and end point are the same (or anywhere) and you plan how to get there, not just select one of three options provided by google maps.
Thats a great question... When I did my iron butt last year I just printed off the custom route I made in chunks and rotated through the route in the map pouch in my tank bag... being able to put it directly in your phone would be pretty badass.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #18 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Tesserarius

Yea, seems like someone has to have done this..

yup they did. from BMW's site about the nav system

"The driver can plan his route at home with Google Maps and then use Send to Car by ConnectedDrive Services to send the results to the navigation system"

The connected drive system. someone hack that or something!

post #19 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Yea, seems like someone has to have done this..

yup they did. from BMW's site about the nav system

"The driver can plan his route at home with Google Maps and then use Send to Car by ConnectedDrive Services to send the results to the navigation system"

The connected drive system. someone hack that or something!
Found a thread started in 2010 about this exact problem... apparently it now works as of march of this year... everyone on the thread says it works but I tried it quickly and couldn't get it to work...
"Here is what I did. And it works perfect.

Created the map on my laptop from start point to end point
pulled the route to take the roads I wished
Hit the Little Gear icon in the lower RH corner
shared link
short url
emailed to my gmail account
opened email on my phone
clicked link
default on my phone for map links is goole maps
opened the route in google maps mobile app
Hit star
off I went

I just used this to create a route for a road trip on the motorcyle with some friends. I wanted to avoid busy main roads and hit the coastal drive when we got close enough. "

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #20 of 20 Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Tesserarius

welll.. i've gotten as far as pulling up the actual map on my phone.
Then it just says preview... maybe it weights till you are at the starting point.

Yea not sure, i'll give it a try riding home today. it pulls it up in a Navigation type screen, but it's preview, instead of green and talking to you, it's gray. Maybe when i drive my path home today it will kick it in to nav mode.
BTW, sorry about the

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode