WTB: Aftermarket seat for 2007 Honda CB900F (Hornet 919) - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Diablo
  • 2 Post By nathanktm

post #1 of 9 Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
GoFast

WTB: Aftermarket seat for 2007 Honda CB900F (Hornet 919)

Hello everyone,

I went for a ride today with my recently purchased 2007 Honda CB900F (Hornet 919). After two hours, my wrists were fine, but my butt was sore.

So, please let me know if you have an aftermarket seat from Corbin or Sargent for sale - or can at least tell me how they worked for you. Please feel free to PM me.

I weigh about 180 lbs, am 5' 9" tall and am looking for a more flat seat where I can move around and have enough support for 6-8 hours of riding.

Thanks,

HP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyBiker View Post
Hello everyone,

I went for a ride today with my recently purchased 2007 Honda CB900F (Hornet 919). After two hours, my wrists were fine, but my butt was sore.

So, please let me know if you have an aftermarket seat from Corbin or Sargent for sale - or can at least tell me how they worked for you. Please feel free to PM me.

I weigh about 180 lbs, am 5' 9" tall and am looking for a more flat seat where I can move around and have enough support for 6-8 hours of riding.

Thanks,

HP

You probably just need one of these:-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Ho...53.m1438.l2649

It's on my short list of upgrades to do.
ewmin3m likes this.

post #3 of 9 Old 08-07-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
GoFast

Thanks for the pointer. Not sure if the gel pad is sufficient.

I will see an upholstery guy tomorrow morning. If he shaves off 1" and reduces the slope behind the back half of the drivers seat and replaces it with softer foam, that might be sufficient to make it softer and give me more wiggle room. The engine heat right behind the gas tank doesn't help, btw.

Seems like the foam on motorcycle seats hardens over time. Not that some of the newer bikes have a softer seat.

Can't figure out how the Japanese can get a motorcycle to go 200+ mph, but can't put on a decent seat - or a center stand on the 599 & 919. I've been to Japan with a motorcycle, but they do have technical offices in the US and Europe for feedback on local applications, so this is not rocket science to get right the first time. If the cruiser crowd gets decent seats, why not the sport/naked bikes?

I guess it is not in their marketing plan to say "All Day Driving Pleasure".

Gotta relax - must be time for a sun-downer - it has to be 5pm somewhere! 8^)

post #4 of 9 Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 PM
Centurion

You don't need softer foam--you need firmer.

post #5 of 9 Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Just ride more often and your butt will break in

post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-2018, 03:32 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

This worked for me:

Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods

Over 50k on the seat mod and it is still as good as new.

Most of the aftermarket seats will increase the seat height.

Spencer is custom fit to your specs and needs. The best addition IMHO.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #7 of 9 Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Unpossible.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post
This worked for me:

Spencers Seat Mods - Home Page - Custom Motorcycle Seats, Motorcycle Seat Modifications, Motorcycle Seat Mods

Over 50k on the seat mod and it is still as good as new.

Most of the aftermarket seats will increase the seat height.

Spencer is custom fit to your specs and needs. The best addition IMHO.
I did the same a couple years back, and have loved it. I can ride all day now, and have, for 14 days in fact. Your hands and wrists will give out long before your butt does.

Another misc tip: wear spandex or dri-fit underwear, not cotton. Will keep you from getting raw.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Centurion

Garage
+1 on the luimoto mod good quality and comfort

post #9 of 9 Old 08-18-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
GoFast

Thanks for the tip, DocLizard, and feedback, SuperNintendo.

I checked with Spencer's Seat Mods and he sent me a very detailed email back with the intended modifications and required information. The price also seemed reasonable, but sending the seat back and forth and considering that I wanted to checkout my 919 before going on a long trip (1,600 miles one-way) meant that time-wise, things could get tight, especially if the seat got lost somewhere.

So - I went to a wholesale upholstery shop in Denver recommended by a local upholsterer and looked at their gel-pad options. It did not work for me as I want to feel it when the rear tire breaks loose. They showed me the foam used by many upholsterers in the Denver region and it seems like that one will do the job. I tried other ones, but they were either too soft or way too hard.

Another consideration is that I want to sit on the foam before the upholsterer puts the vinyl seat cover on.

The plan is to shave off one inch off the firm seat foam and replace it with a medium firm foam, which in theory should actually drop my seat height by, say, a half of an inch. So it should not raise me on the seat at all. I do want to bulge out the sides a bit (1/4" to 1/2") to give me more support. If it doesn't work, he can still taper it back before the seat cover is installed.

I will send an update with pictures once I have the seat back and checked out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode