WTB 919 tank - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

WTB 919 tank

I am in search of a 919 fuel tank with no dents or scratches. Preferably in black, grey or silver. Let me know what you've got or if you've seen something locally. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 PM
The Cripple

I have a black tank with creases in it but no dents. Leaks fuel on the underside. If you're willing to take a stab at it I'll let it go for cheap. I've had bad luck with it and it is just sitting in my garage.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 01:12 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
If Austin passes I might be interested. Do you have a pic handy of the creases?

post #4 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Why the creases? Can you post some pics that clearly show the tank all around. Thanks

post #5 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 09:34 PM
The Cripple

No pictures yet, but to be honest I think it would be hard to get a good picture of the creases due to the gloss paint. If you guys are seriously interested I'm willing to dig it up and see what I can do in terms of pictures.

What happened is that I bought the tank brand new, never used from another member and put it on. Had problems with the vent lines which got pinched and the bike sat in the hot sun for 3 days. Since it couldn't vent the tank swelled from the pressure until the metal pinched on one of the channels on the bottom and cracked. This is where the creases came from and the resulting leak. I had it welded to no avail. I think the welder either didn't know what he was doing or was too scared to do it right. It leaked almost immediately after reinstalling, after which gooleit, Andrew, mdtoney, and Mike can attest to. They were there when we spotted the leaks and helped me swap tanks late into the night before a track day after my sweet wife drove 9 hours round trip to pick up my old tank. I haven't messed with it since and don't feel like ever messing with it after how many times I've changed tanks lol.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I've had better luck brazing leaks in tanks and oil pans. No risk of burning big holes in the sheet metal with a welder which you then have to chase for an hour and will probably never be right from distortion. If you take it Austin and have it repaired I'd go that route.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

It's all yours Niner. Thanks for the info. Pvster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode