WTB 599 headlight - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 30 Old 09-08-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

WTB 599 headlight

To say the stock 9er headlight is unimpressive is a massive understatement; I've found myself avoiding riding at night just because I hate the thing. It looks like a good number of people on here with the same opinion have gone with the 599 (04-06) unit and were happy with the results, so I've decided to follow suit. With that said, anyone that happens to have one they're willing to part with?
If you're about to sell your bike, I could do cash + my stock unit so you could return it to stock and make some $$ out of it.

And yes, I realize that I can order from BB or other sites, but well north of $200 is on the extreme end of my budget for this mod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Semper Vigilo

My 919 is for sale, and I have the 599 headlight on it. Was hoping to sell the bike as is, but may have to return it to stock form.
If you can wait a week or two I will know for sure what I will be doing to it. And I still have the stock headlight, so I wouldn't need another one.

post #3 of 30 Old 09-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Tesserarius

post #4 of 30 Old 09-09-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007BruteForece View Post
My 919 is for sale, and I have the 599 headlight on it. Was hoping to sell the bike as is, but may have to return it to stock form.
If you can wait a week or two I will know for sure what I will be doing to it. And I still have the stock headlight, so I wouldn't need another one.
There definitely isn't a rush on this, so a couple weeks won't be a problem. Shoot me a PM with pricing. However, obviously if I find a better deal while waiting I'll grab it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
Try a better bulb.
Thought about it, but I'm pretty unhappy with the 9er's light in general, including shape. It's decent on just low (besides dim) but the shape of the light on high beam is a really unsatisfying broken up patch of light dead-ahead and nowhere else.

BruteForce, were you happy with the 599 headlight mod?

post #5 of 30 Old 09-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Tesserarius

post #6 of 30 Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

That looks interesting, I think you should give it a try, I'd like to know how it works

Dan
post #7 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 05:17 AM
Tesserarius

post #8 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Just picked up one of these LED headlights. Click on "clip coupon" below the price for $100 off. $152 total price.

Amazon.com: GE NIGHTHAWK LED 7" Round LED Replacement Headlamp: Automotive

post #9 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Discen

Wow.

You need to post of review about this @marylandmike

post #10 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutz View Post
I wonder how hard it would be to mount this light
That looks like a nice light, but the price is definitely more than I was planning on spending on this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Just picked up one of these LED headlights. Click on "clip coupon" below the price for $100 off. $152 total price.
That looks like a great light, and since it's a 7 incher, I wonder if it'll drop right into the stock bucket? My only concern with this one is that several reviewers commented on its spotlight-like performance; I'm sure with two in a car it's fine, but would one be enough to light up the road and off to the sides?
You definitely need to let us know how this goes.

post #11 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapedLabRat View Post
That looks like a nice light, but the price is definitely more than I was planning on spending on this mod.

How much are you willing to spend?

post #12 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
How much are you willing to spend?
I was planning on spending around 150, depending on the light/condition. I'm seriously considering the Nighthawk light that Mike posted ($152 with coupon), but I'm concerned about it fitting in the bucket.

Anyone know what the stock 919 connector is?

post #13 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Standard 3 prong H4 connector

Dan
post #14 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by carotman View Post
Wow.

You need to post of review about this @marylandmike
Quote:

That looks like a great light, and since it's a 7 incher, I wonder if it'll drop right into the stock bucket? My only concern with this one is that several reviewers commented on its spotlight-like performance; I'm sure with two in a car it's fine, but would one be enough to light up the road and off to the sides?
You definitely need to let us know how this goes.
Quote:
I was planning on spending around 150, depending on the light/condition. I'm seriously considering the Nighthawk light that Mike posted ($152 with coupon), but I'm concerned about it fitting in the bucket.

Anyone know what the stock 919 connector is?
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm thinking that someone on WT has installed one like this before, but couldn't find the thread. I think this is the same light that's also sold as the Trucklite Phase 7 headlight. I imagine that it's a big improvement over the stock headlight, but maybe not as good as the JW Speaker 8700. Here is a link where someone did some comparison tests on a Jeep Forum.

High Output LED Headlight Test - Four Wheeler Magazine

post #15 of 30 Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 PM
Princeps Prior

Fyi the 599 headlight assembly can be had for under $200 brand new. Sell your 919 headlight to recover some money. Well worth every penny.

post #16 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Fyi the 599 headlight assembly can be had for under $200 brand new. Sell your 919 headlight to recover some money. Well worth every penny.
Good idea................probably end up under budget.

Someone have a parts list and directions to mod?

post #17 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Fyi the 599 headlight assembly can be had for under $200 brand new.
Source? All I can find is on BikeBandit for about 270 all in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
Someone have a parts list and directions to mod?
Everything you need right here: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ight-8592.html

post #18 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Princeps Prior

Check out Motorcyclegoodies.com and Partzilla.com

post #19 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Alright, I think I'm pretty much sold on the GE Nighthawk light. It's the right price, I like how it looks (it'll look awesome on a murdered out bike), it's low draw so easy on the charging system, I don't have to mess with the wiring at all, and all reviews I've found on it/the trucklite counterpart (GE Nighthawk LED headlights tested - MX-5 Miata Forum) are nothing but positive.

And here I found someone that popped a JW Speaker light into the 919 (maybe that's what you were thinking of, Mike?), so I'm pretty confident that it'll fit.

post #20 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Aquilifer

Please keep us updated.......................

post #21 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Alright, I think I'm pretty much sold on the GE Nighthawk light. It's the right price, I like how it looks (it'll look awesome on a murdered out bike), it's low draw so easy on the charging system, I don't have to mess with the wiring at all, and all reviews I've found on it/the trucklite counterpart (GE Nighthawk LED headlights tested - MX-5 Miata Forum) are nothing but positive.

And here I found someone that popped a JW Speaker light into the 919 (maybe that's what you were thinking of, Mike?), so I'm pretty confident that it'll fit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOfQG4N9gS4
I found the old threads on the JW speaker, but for some reason I thought someone had popped one of the truck lites in. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I should know by Sunday if it fits and if there is any kind of mods required.

post #22 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Discen

Quote:
Ait's low draw so easy on the charging system
Actually, the low draw will make your R/R work harder and will then fail sooner.

A motorcycle charging system outputs the same amount of current regardless of the electric load. The extra current that's not being used by the accessories is dissipated in heat form through the R/R.

post #23 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Actually, the low draw will make your R/R work harder and will then fail sooner.

A motorcycle charging system outputs the same amount of current regardless of the electric load. The extra current that's not being used by the accessories is dissipated in heat form through the R/R.
More power to run your heated grips/clothes, GPS etc....

post #24 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Quote:

Very true, thank you for pointing that out.
I think the LED draw is actually comparable to the stock light (anyone know stock bulb draw?); by low draw I meant that it would be lower than running both bulbs on the 599 headlight which you would have to do to match the light output of the LED . And like Pauli mentioned, I was also thinking that it'd leave more available for accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I should know by Sunday if it fits and if there is any kind of mods required.
My finger is on the Amazon trigger, I'll wait till sunday to see if I should pull.

post #25 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
dazed and confused

Quote:

Small tangent here; I wonder how hard it'd be to rig up a shunt regulator to take the brunt of the power dissipation sparing the rectifier. In my thinking, this would allow the use of power efficient components (LED light, LED blinkers, etc) so that there would be extra capacity for add-ons like heated equipment, but it would take the brunt of the extra load when the add-ons aren't in use (don't really feel like running hand warmers in 90 degree weather).
Anyone have thoughts on this?

post #26 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 12:02 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:

Small tangent here; I wonder how hard it'd be to rig up a shunt regulator to take the brunt of the power dissipation sparing the rectifier. In my thinking, this would allow the use of power efficient components (LED light, LED blinkers, etc) so that there would be extra capacity for add-ons like heated equipment, but it would take the brunt of the extra load when the add-ons aren't in use (don't really feel like running hand warmers in 90 degree weather).
Interested in this as well.

post #27 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Discen

would it work like that? im seriously considering grabbing one of these and trying to stuff it in the headlight housing...

im getting some heated grips so the added draw of that would probably help balance things out.

post #28 of 30 Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I received the GE Nighthawk Headlight today from Amazon. Very nice looking unit and should be plug n play electrically and it appears to be the same size as the stock unit....however there will definitely have to be some creative customization to attach the 919 trim ring to the LED headlight unit. I probably won't try to mount it until next weekend, but just wanted to let anyone who is considering it that it's not just a drop it in and go.

post #29 of 30 Old 09-13-2014, 05:59 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:

Source? All I can find is on BikeBandit for about 270 all in.

Everything you need right here: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ight-8592.html
I'm not sure what parts you are looking at but Bike bandit is $225 shipped. Motorcyclegoodies.com is $196 shipped and Partzilla is 172.92 plus shipping. You don't need the Eastern Beaver harness. There is a write up here on how to wire it to the headlight or ignition switch . I forget which at the moment. You need numbers 2 and 14. Also two of number 22 from the parts list for the 2004 cb600f

post #30 of 30 Old 09-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:

The 919 has extra power to spare. I run heated grips, jacket and gloves with dual temp controller. Led signals, led tail light. 599 headlight. I'm even gonna add the heated pants eventually. When you aren't using the grips just turn them off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode