WTB: 2007 Honda 919 Front brake rotors - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ST-DocLizard1
  • 1 Post By saikodi

post #1 of 12 Old 07-15-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

WTB: 2007 Honda 919 Front brake rotors

Hello,

I have finally concluded that my front brake rotors are warped and want to change them. If anyone of you have a pair, I would be happy to buy them. If not, I am willing to buy new ones too. But just not sure which ones as there seem to be many different ones.

Can someone please suggest me some good ones or if anyone has used ones they are willing to sell, please hit me up.

Thanks!

06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
08 Honda CBR600RR
05 Honda VTX 1300C
05 Yamaha R6
06 Yamaha FZ1
07 Honda 919
16 Suzuki GSX-S1000 *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Look around for a set of F4i rotors, they're the same as the 919 rotors except that the carrier is aluminum instead of steel

Dan
post #3 of 12 Old 07-16-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Look around for a set of F4i rotors, they're the same as the 919 rotors except that the carrier is aluminum instead of steel
Ok thanks. Will look for them.

I am also looking on ebay for 919 used front rotors that were taken off from the bike at low miles. I got one set and am talking with the seller now.

06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
08 Honda CBR600RR
05 Honda VTX 1300C
05 Yamaha R6
06 Yamaha FZ1
07 Honda 919
16 Suzuki GSX-S1000 *

post #4 of 12 Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM
The Cripple

I have one rotor, I think it is slightly warped but should be able to be turned. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you're interested.

Have you done a run out test to confirm they are warped? If not, do so before you throw money at it. You may just need to clean the buttons and free them up.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-16-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I have one rotor, I think it is slightly warped but should be able to be turned. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you're interested.

Have you done a run out test to confirm they are warped? If not, do so before you throw money at it. You may just need to clean the buttons and free them up.
So I took your advise earlier and cleaned both the rotors well. It fell like it was better but now it feels worse again. So much that low speed stops make me a bit nervous and high speed braking makes me hold the brake lever much more. I just dont like the braking experience. Thats the only thing I hate about it right now.

What do you mean by cleaning the buttons? is it not the rotors surface alone?

I got a mechanic to do the test exactly 10 months back and he said the rotors were fine but they still do that.

One motor isnt going to cut it. I need both.

06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
08 Honda CBR600RR
05 Honda VTX 1300C
05 Yamaha R6
06 Yamaha FZ1
07 Honda 919
16 Suzuki GSX-S1000 *
post #6 of 12 Old 07-16-2017, 09:48 AM
The Cripple

trust the mechanic. I think your buttons are seized up which is causing your poor feeling on braking. That buttons are the round things between the carrier and rotor itself. This allows the rotor to be semi free floating.

Take a threaded bolt with the correct size washer that makes contact with only the button and same size washer with nut on the other end and sandwich the button. Get them tight but not too tight that you mar the button surface. Use the bolt head to try and turn the button while using brake cleaner and get it to turn smoothly. You may have to wiggle and turn it a bit while spraying the crap out of them. Rinse and repeat.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Optio

Garage
If that doesn't work, I have a set that is sitting in my garage as a spare. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #8 of 12 Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Hey,

I didnt notice your post earlier. So ended up buying a set of used rotors from ebay for $140. It seems they were taken off from the bike at 13K miles. So I am going to give that a try and see how it goes. I will also look at what pvster said. If that is the reason then perhaps I will sell these rotors back on ebay or here. :-)

06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
08 Honda CBR600RR
05 Honda VTX 1300C
05 Yamaha R6
06 Yamaha FZ1
07 Honda 919
16 Suzuki GSX-S1000 *
post #9 of 12 Old 07-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

This may be of interest.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #10 of 12 Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-DocLizard1 View Post

Great thanks! Now I know exactly what to do. I will clean those up and see if there is an improvement. I will post here once I am done cleaning them.

06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
08 Honda CBR600RR
05 Honda VTX 1300C
05 Yamaha R6
06 Yamaha FZ1
07 Honda 919
16 Suzuki GSX-S1000 *
post #11 of 12 Old 07-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Lots of good points here also. Although, I would cleaning the pistons/seal interface with a toothbrush and a little touch of brake fluid rather than brake cleaner. Then remove any trace of brake fluid with brake cleaner. A dry scotchbrite pad on the rotors is helpful to clear off any residual crap.

Using gloves in a well ventilated area with eye protection is a must!

knicholas likes this.

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #12 of 12 Old 07-21-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thank you guys!! I finally cleaned the buttons or the bobbins (whatever they are called). Initially none of them turned at all. So I sprayed brake cleaner and after some time and multiple attempts I was able to free them up. They still are squeaky. I mean they dont turn freely and smoothly. I guess they need more of the brake cleaning spray and more cleaning.

So I let it dry out and took for a test run and oh my gosh. They are 90% better. Now I dont have the stop and go kind of a feeling at high speeds. Although I have that at lower speeds (around 25-30 mph) that to a little bit. So clearly that process helped it.

I am going to get them cleaned out further till they stop squeaking when they turn. Once I get to that stage (whenever), I will go for another test run and report back here.

Thanks again for the tips and procedures. Now I need to figure out what I should do with the ebay purchase (paid $140 for the used ones). :-)
badmoon692008 likes this.

06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
08 Honda CBR600RR
05 Honda VTX 1300C
05 Yamaha R6
06 Yamaha FZ1
07 Honda 919
16 Suzuki GSX-S1000 *

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode