• 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By WxN

post #1 of 16 Old 08-20-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
WxN
Itís 9:19 somewhere.

Garage
Tire recommendation 02 919

Time for fresh meat. Local bike shop says the new Michelin Power RS are the way to go. To me, they look like a nice patch of dirt might upset them... There isnít a lot of room for water or debris to escape. I ride until itís cold- like 35į, on gravel covered, overly crowned, twisty roads filled with holes and covered with speed bumps, er.. frost heaves (these are year round issues). So I hesitate to jump on a tire touting great "dry" traction. They do claim itís wet traction is improved over the Pilots though- along with the other categories... itís just the near slick middle and shallow dimples that gives me pause.

Any thoughts on a new pair of "all season", debris ridding, wallet friendly, tires? Thanks, guys and gals. Your time is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-20-2019, 10:45 AM
McTavish

35 F and wet would make me buy a set of Michelin Roads.
Those conditions alone makes the Power RS an inappropriate selection, in my mind.
Past that, I really can't comment, but hopefully some of the Roads riding members will chime in based on their actual usage of them.
Also, can you provide more clarity about your gravel condition?
Gravel on what?
Hard packed dirt?
Or pavement?
If hard packed dirt, then my assumption is that an entirely different tire selection would be best.
How big is the gravel?
If small stuff, and on pavement, then Mich Roads might be OK.
robtharalson likes this.

post #3 of 16 Old 08-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Road 5's are a really nice tire, haven't had a single complaint about mine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dan

post #4 of 16 Old 08-20-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Lots of heavy rain this year has fine sand hanging around every intersection. My 17 year old stock rear has no trouble breaking free if I don't slow down well in advance. Obviously, this is about the the worst tire selection- given the age, and the original owner was a cruiser, so the profile isn't quite what she used to be.
There are 2 roads I cross daily where they do rock crushing- where they pull on to the main road, all grades of gravel hang out there. You just look for hole or pick the line with smallest ones. Not a big deal really, aside from cars flinging them.. but that is another matter.
I called the Honda dealership to get pricing and thoughts and spoke with a friend of mine who just happened to put them on his GSXR. He also said the "better than power pilot" factory info. I asked him how they have been on gravel, and he said he has driven down a handful of dirt roads so far. No issues. Just a solid street tire. He also said 265 for a pair... 100 dollars cheaper.. Hm.

Sounds like I need to go check out the Roads!! Thanks guys.

post #5 of 16 Old 08-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Left of Centre

+1 on the Road 5's.

post #6 of 16 Old 08-20-2019, 01:42 PM
919 Rider

I'll put on a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas again. I ride on several kms of gravel road everytime I ride. No complaints.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Well, that settles it. I'm sure the Power RS are nice, but I think the Road 5 will suit my needs better and hopefully get half again, as many miles. Thanks again for the input. Trigger pulled. Road 5 it is.

Quote:
Islandboy: I'll put on a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas again. I ride on several kms of gravel road everytime I ride. No complaints.
Sorry, I missed your reply before I posted. I thought it was unanimous, didn't mean to discount your answer. I just checked them out. They do look like a nice option. Good price too.

post #8 of 16 Old 08-21-2019, 01:27 AM
The Cripple

Glad you pulled the trigger on the pilot roads. Great tires for exactly what you explained. Went through several sets of road 2s on my 919 while in the northwest. Did 12-14k miles along with 4 track days. The last 1k miles, it was pretty shot though.

Jumped to road 4s on my Tuono and they are even better! Happy to hear about the road 5s the series is still alive.

post #9 of 16 Old 08-21-2019, 09:40 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
I'll put on a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas again. I ride on several kms of gravel road everytime I ride. No complaints.
I couldn't remember which one you were on at present.
Having said that, didn't someone post negatively about Angels in the past year or so?

post #10 of 16 Old 08-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I have had PR 2's, 3's, and now 4's on the '03. Best all around choice in my opinion. Will go for the 5's when the time comes.

I have had two sets of Pilot Power 2 ct on the '06. Great in the dry weather, but not as good in the wet. Ironically, I have had a rear flat on both sets. Go figure?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #11 of 16 Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I've burned up every incarnation of the Roads, 5's are by far my favorites

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dan
post #12 of 16 Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM
919 Rider

I'm about to put my third rear Pirelli Diablo Strada on and my second front.
I will definitely try the road 5's since everyone here ravs about them.
The reasons why I keep running the Pirelli Diablo Strada is...
I'm loath to change my suspension setup.
The tires have never slipped.
They have a fairly aggressive tread pattern which I'm sure is a benefit on poor road surfaces, gravel roads etc.
They are well priced.
I will say this they don't last as long as I would like but this could be a result of my riding?

post #13 of 16 Old 08-25-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Road 5s installed. A few pictures of the tread in case anyone wants a peek before buying.
When I picked up the bike the guy behind the counter said the took a shop vote on "best bike to come through the shop today" and chose mine unanimously. Then when I was loading it up, the service manager came out to say it was the cleanest bike he has seen in a long time, (I assume he meant for its age.. as they are a dealership with new bikes) and echoed that the "Road 5s are an incredible tire" He has 8000 hard miles on his so far...
Thanks again for steering me in the right direction. $316 for the set! -Seems like a good deal too.

Note: 112 links with 17/43 was a NO-GO; the tire was up against the hugger. They said it might have fit with a 16t front. I kept the 17. New chain- no adjustment. I guess when I need adjustment, I'll just have to replace the chain prematurely.. or perform the famed, 17/44 520 conversion..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190824_163832_1566757882510.jpg (138.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20190824_163731_1566757900456.jpg (132.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20190824_163748_1566757919411.jpg (127.6 KB, 8 views)

post #14 of 16 Old 08-25-2019, 01:14 PM
The Cripple

Wow that tire looks meaty! I like it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

post #15 of 16 Old 08-26-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
When I got home, to be sure... I wanted to re-torque everything myself and make sure all was well. I noticed a bit of front brake drag while spinning the front and checking out the new tire. After seating the axle, I exercised the caliper pistons. Test spin- it went from 7/8 of a rotation to 3 full. Not only was there a huge improvement in brake drag, in the process I lost the stiction I used to have coming upright off the side stand. It used to drop a bit near vertical. Now as I stand it up, I can watch the fork settle completely smooth and evenly. No more little drop at the top. Moral of the story: seat your axle well and exercise your calipers. Especially if they have oem pads and 7000 miles in 17 years..

Dealership torque was all over the place. Glad I checked. Another moral to the story.. you know it's right- when you do it.

post #16 of 16 Old 09-08-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
WxN

Garage
Follow up: Tire recommendation 02 919

A few hundred miles Road 5s have been great. I seem to have encountered almost all of the road conditions I wondered about in just a few hundred miles. Rocks, gravel, sugar sand, dirt, grassy hills, and today... a river crossing..
Exploring new roads, I came around a blind, downhill, corner to find the road was fully flooded. River flowing with current- flooded. More than a puddle... it had receded some, so leading up to the river was still completley wet pavement, and getting deeper. The tires were fine. I had all I needed with plenty to spare. It felt so planted I even debated coming to a complete stop.. It was probably 4 inches deep through the middle, little less than the rotor, so I just eased off and rolled through. Water was flinging out to the sides, from the front tire like a boat wake. 5+mph maybe? Not a wiggle. Felt like pavement. My only thought was how much am I going to have to clean up.. Dry- almost nothing!
Think I'll skip that road for a while.. it happened again down the road, but that one had signage and I already knew the tires were solid- no worries.
Those things could part the Red Sea...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190908_164025_1567976646735.jpg (58.3 KB, 8 views)
mcromo44 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode